What's your top 5?

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
After fully recovering from my friendly bout of Poison Ivy, (ugh) I went back out with some newbies to show them some history. As always they couldn't believe these places existed. As I drove to Eagle from Hampton Furnace, I was asked what my top 5 favorite places were. I thought about it, and realized I was more interested in hearing what YOU guys, especially the veterans of the Pine travelling, what their 5 would be. I am curious to know. Hope everyone has been well. It was chilly yet beautiful today. Ended too soon. Dam Daylight Savings Time. :)

I also posted some new and old photos at http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10191

gagliarchives said:
Great choices guys. Why did you pick what you picked. Just because of the view of the area? Or more personal reasons? Just curious I guess.

I saw this post this morning and have been thinking about it all day. It's a tough question but here goes.

1. Friendship - I can't pass there without stopping on the bridge for the views. A little deeper in off the main roads and the bogs are just beautiful.

2. Mount- Don't know why but I just like that spot. Maybe I lived there in a past life.

3. Union Clay Works & Red Oak Grove - Just a neat area in the Greenwood WMA.

4. Forked River Mountain & Spring Hill - Best vistas in the Pines

5. Harrisville & Martha area - Lots of history in that area.

Those are the five "places" that I like the best.

But my mostest favoritest places are the hardest to get to. Any cedar swamp, savanna, bog, pond, spung, stream or river. These are the best places in the Pines. I love these places so much that I've crawled on my hands and knees to get to them. I've gotten wet and muddy, cut and bruised but it's all worth it. You've got to go off trail to really see the Pines.

Steve

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Here are mine:

1) Howell Works
2)Hanover Furnace
3)Gloucester Furnace
4)Harrisville/Martha
5)Weymouth

I think I get the most out of the areas that are the most elusive or isolated...have the least left. Allaire is simply a dreamscape that almost allows you to experience what a furnace town must have been like. I live nearby and go there often. I know a lot about the area.

I read that they are planning to restart a very old mill in Medford. It operated until the 1960's, or something like that. What a time to be alive, to see those millwheels turning! Sure beats the gross industry of today.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
jokerman said:
Here are mine:

1) Howell Works
2)Hanover Furnace
3)Gloucester Furnace
4)Harrisville/Martha
5)Weymouth

I think I get the most out of the areas that are the most elusive or isolated...have the least left. Allaire is simply a dreamscape that almost allows you to experience what a furnace town must have been like. I live nearby and go there often. I know a lot about the area.

Jokerman,

How do you visit Hanover Furnace? That is in the confines of Fort Dix isn't it? I belive you need permission to get there.

Have you read Boyers "Early Forges and Furnaces in NJ"? There is a map in the book that shows the property boundaries. Are you interested in that in any way?

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I don't think it is off limits, is it? There are residential homes very close and the road is public, although I did get pulled over last time I was out there. I also didn't see the typical signs saying "Impact Zone" or whatever on the sides of the road. I almost wish it was though so those property boundaries others had mentioned might still be there. Thank you for offering the map. I copied the entire Boyer book from a library loaner! It's very hard to get the book due to high prices due to rarity. I read or heard that the dam at Hanover broke at some time and that may be why nothing is left of the furnace. I know most other areas in Fort Dix were purposely obliterated to avoid curiosity from people like us (i.e: Brindletown, Cranberry Hall). My only problem last time was the unbearable tick and chigger situation.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You need a special pass to get on Fort Dix to look at the various locations.

I was also told by someone on the base that Cranberry Hall, etc. are no longer. Brindletown, I believe, is accessable without a pass.

My friend lives off Brindletown Rd. in New Egypt.

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
We have been fortunate enough not to be bugged by the MP's. When we were, they were more interested than we were I think when I told them some history. I told them they had some nerve having a base on a historic area ;)

I am still looking to hear from others what their favorites were. These are some great choices by those that responded. I dug Steve's synopsis on why he likes those places. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
jokerman said:
I don't think it is off limits, is it? There are residential homes very close and the road is public, although I did get pulled over last time I was out there. I also didn't see the typical signs saying "Impact Zone" or whatever on the sides of the road. I almost wish it was though so those property boundaries others had mentioned might still be there. Thank you for offering the map. I copied the entire Boyer book from a library loaner! It's very hard to get the book due to high prices due to rarity. I read or heard that the dam at Hanover broke at some time and that may be why nothing is left of the furnace. I know most other areas in Fort Dix were purposely obliterated to avoid curiosity from people like us (i.e: Brindletown, Cranberry Hall). My only problem last time was the unbearable tick and chigger situation.

Actually, I was wondering if you were interested in where the property lines of Hanover furnace was, or just the area you visit.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
There was more stuff across from the lake at Brindletown, but you can't get over there, unless you're crazy like me, and swim across! I'll let you know that nothing, and I mean nothing, remains of the former dance hall and mill. I couldn't find a trace, no cellar holes or fragments of information. I definately felt a little panicked and didn't spend much time, but it was evident that they swept up after demo. There was a church further along but it would be too risky to go any further and I'm sure the delicacy of this fragile wooden structure was taken care of too.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I was planning on doing a visit to those sites last year. I had permission to go on base and was going to bring along the Fort Dix historian. Unfortunately he knew nothing about what used to be on the land before Fort Dix.

He said that basically nothing was in those areas that I was interested in. He said that all that was at Hanover Furnace was a plaque.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have never really been interested in the more "commercial" places in the pines, preferring to stick to the more remote or less visited area's.

With that said I only have one favorite place which I have been visiting since 1973, and that is the "second" hill of the Forked River Mountains. You can only get this view at one location on the hill.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/5/FRM.jpg

And just to fill in the other 4 locations:

Friendship Bogs

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/5/FriendshipBogs11_24_02.jpg

In a cedar swamp, in this case the Parker Preserve.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/5/IMG_4398.jpg

In a savanna.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/5/STB_4423.jpg

And finally in a sphagnum swamp.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/5/IMG_3267.jpg

Guy

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
I guess I would go:
1) Hampton Furnace - Probably because...hmmm....I dont know really. I know boooring..
2) Harrisville/Martha - One of the most mysterious areas I have travelled to. If you think about it, just stop for a moment, Who the hell picked THAT place. What an area to decide to build a settlement/work area.
3) Hanover - You can see by going back there SOMETHING was there..old clearings with new growth, odd trees...odd gullies...something attracts me to it.
4) Washington Stables - It felt like it really was the center of town of a forgotten village
5) Quaker Bridge - Tons of stuff on that road. You can feel it.

Batsto, Mount, Eagle, Speedwell, and Friendship are up there as well.
PS for Guy, I am interested in going back to Hanover.

tg

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Teegate,
Yes I am intererested in seeing any maps of Hanover that you have. I would also love to get involved with a future permitted exploration of Fort Dix areas.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I've put this off because I don't really like to pick "favorites," but what the hell.... I'll give it a try. I don't think this list is really in any order however:

1. Harrisville - something mysterious and mystical about that place. I feel like I'm in a Piranesi etching.

2. Brookbrae - same reasons as #1

3. Spring Hill and the pine plains - very unusual, I can almost imagine I'm somewhere out West.

4. Forked River Mountain area - seems like there are a lot of stories hidden there.

5. Tie between several places in the Wharton and Lebanon State Forests.

Now I don't know if this really qualifies as "the pines," so I'll leave it as an honorable mention, but otherwise it would probably be at the top of my list: Island Beach State Park. The twisted trees, the dense thickets, the sand dunes which create miniature deserts, the miles of ocean and bay beaches, the sight, sound and smell of the ocean everywhere.... I never tire of that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I really don't have any maps of Hanover Furnace, I just know where the location of the two property corners were. I just asked to see if there was interest in knowing this, and if there was, maybe one day I could show anyone who was interested. And if anyone knows where the third corner was located, I would want to know. I have looked the map over closely in Boyers book, and it looks like it may be on in a developed area. The stone says 1790 on it. It is near Hockmick.

Sorry if I was confusing anyone.

Guy