Living with the Snakes

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Back in May 2007 I that lunch with Boston Blackie …..
image0-001.jpg

image0-011.jpg

image0-003.jpg

image0-002.jpg
image0-005.jpg
image0-006.jpg
image0-010.jpg
image0-007.jpg
image0-008.jpg
image0-009.jpg

There were four snakes at one time all over 6'. Not to worry, they live in my yard and are my friends, all made it home safe. No eggs were eaten and the duck went back to her nest. I was there all day keeping the snakes away. The next day the mallard left the nest and did not return.

Don

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Al

They do bite. There were four rat snakes in the ivy around the eggs. I didn’t want to put my hand in there. Once I got them out on the lawn I picked them up and took them to the far end of the property.

Sweetwater Clifton lived in these rocks for years. He was the biggest water snake I have ever seen. You don’t want to pick him up, he not only bites he is looking for someone to bite ………
image0-012.jpg
image0-013.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have been bitten so many times I don't even think about it.If it is non venomous and native I just take it.On the other hand I have been bitten by small pythons and the double row of recurved fangs are enough to make me try not to let that happen again.I understand some folks do really not want to be bitten.Black ratsnakes to me are generally docile though most snakes will bite initially when first caught.racers will never stop biting.
On the other hand I am terrified of wasps,bees and fire ants,anything in swarms that can sting.Lone wasps and such don't phase me.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I'm not afraid of snakes but I don’t want to be bitten There are a lot of Green and yellow snakes down along the lake. They look like a large garter snake with a wide yellow strip going down both sides. I looked it up one time and I think it was a Yellow Strip—something or other?

When my granddaughter was a little girl we would walk around the yard and name all the animals we saw. When we went into the house I would have to tell her stories about each one. She did not like the snakes so we stayed away from them pretty much.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Garter snakes are the only snake i am aware of around here with a yellow stripe down each side.The belly should be fairly yellow also.They will usually bite when first grasped and then will settle right down.I have caught them maybe four feet long and almost as fat as my wrist.They give live birth and these are the snakes usually shown in photos of balls of entangled young snakes right after birth.Momma gives no help at all.They are on their own from the git go.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Thanks Al,

Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_ribbon_snake

It does look a lot like a garter snake. I forgot about the yellow stripe down the center of it back until I saw the photo. The bright yellow stripe on it’s back is why I didn’t think it was a garter snake. There are several in the weeds along the lakes edge. Most close to 3 feet long. Can almost kick one up any time. Never saw one away from the lakes edge.

This little guy came into my garage for a visit Friday - what do you think, young rat Snake?
SnakeInGarage 001.JPG
SnakeInGarage 006.JPG

Reactions: joc

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Going by size only, I must have several generations of black snakes; I call them all ratsnake because they are up in the trees and bushes a lot. We get along well together.
I would love to see a rattlesnake around here but I don’t think there are many in Shamong Twp. I personally have never seen a rattlesnake in NJ. There are plenty in the Chatsworth/Chatsworth Rd area I am told.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I was eye to eye with a Black Racer today. I was along the side of a road in a wet area and the snake lifted its head above the grass when it became alert to my presence. I stayed motionless and after about two minutes it moved on. I would say it was around four feet in length.

Just visible in the middle of the picture is the Racer with half of its body raised.

racersm.jpg

Wrong lens for a close up, but this is a crop with some detail.

cropracer.jpg

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I was eye to eye with a Black Racer today. I was along the side of a road in a wet area and the snake lifted its head above the grass when it became alert to my presence. I stayed motionless and after about two minutes it moved on. I would say it was around four feet in length.

Just visible in the middle of the picture is the Racer with half of its body raised.

View attachment 2636

Wrong lens for a close up, but this is a crop with some detail.

View attachment 2637

At least you had your camera with you. When I run into something like that I am usually without a Camera. Walked up on a nice little green snake on the boardwalk at Estell Manor one day, no camera.