Paddle to Oak Island (I think)

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
The USGS maps indicate that it should be possible to paddle to, or close to Oak Island, from Bass River so today I gave it a shot.

oak island 001.jpg

Point of departure - Bass River

oak island 004.jpg

Collapsed bridge near the island

oak island 006.jpg

On southern most part of island - what is it?
oak island 007.jpg

The waterway twisted through the marsh and eventually ended right at the southern part of the island. There were no bugs in the marsh, but as soon as I hit the island, the mosquitoes were terrible. I had on only a bathing suit. Lots of thorny plants too. I couldn't explore much or stay long.
oak island 009.jpg

Another shot of the bridge
oak island 010.jpg

Meadow in front of the island
oak island 011.jpg

Some kind of overgrown berm leading out to the island. Either a pathway or spoils from Corps digging canals
oak island 012.jpg

another shot of the berm
oak island 013.jpg

Looking out towards RT 9 from the island
oak island 018.jpg

I wasn't supposed to be there. It was a nice paddle, worth doing again without mosquitos. Mud up to my knees if I stepped into the canals, but I could walk across the marsh OK. I set out on an incoming tide. I wish I could have explored more of the island -maybe next time.

Reactions: joc and John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As you say it is off limits. I would not recommend anyone going there especially during hunting season.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Are you saying you can hunt there in season but never kayak?
thats about the size of it.Imagine that! a national wildlife refuge that welcomes hunters but not nature lovers,not saying that hunters can't be nature lovers too but it does seem ironic that it is okay to come there to kill animals and not just to study or photograph them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been told by someone who should know, that they give out a limited number of permits for the island. These individuals have the legal right to be there and I suspect they would not take kindly to someone illegally being there. I am not critizing you or anyone from going there, I am just giving you my opinion. I like the fact you enjoy exploring, and I enjoyed your photo's.

Al, I am sure you have no idea who did that.

Guy

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
The way in is a navigable, tidal, natural waterway. I can't believe the state can restrict access like that. What's to keep them from restricting access to Barnegat Bay or Great Bay in the name of wildlife if they wanted to? I didn't touch the oyster dredge - didn't know what it was. I went in in the off season for critter reproduction, even mosquitos, though they were still biting. Anyone with a permit living out there is nuts with all the mosquitos. There was a small trail that I followed for a while but I didn't get to the ruins. It would be interesting to know what the permits are for. I don't think there are any oysters in the area. I gotta go back - the area is way cool!

Reactions: pineywoman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea.... if anyone does get caught they face a federal judge.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The permits are for hunting.

They also issue special use permits, such as visiting Little Beach Island. Give them a call at their Oceanville HQ and ask about Oak Island, you just might get lucky. This all sounds vaguely familiar.....

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The area known as Oak Island is a NJF&W Deer Management Zone (DMZ) in and of itself. It is known as zone 70.
The Federales allow hunting in accordance with NJFW rules.

Here is the Forsythe Refuge link to the description of the zone. It is outdated, listing the dates for the 2011 season.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/forsythe/pdf/deer_hunt/DMZ_70_Bass_Riv_Oak_Is_Final_2011.pdf

The NJFW 2012 regs are found here on document page 54 for DMZ 70

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2012/dighnt44-55.pdf

Enjoy.

Reactions: scubabruce

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I contacted Don Friday at the Forsythe Preserve HQ in Oceanville. He informed me that you are allowed to kayak into most areas of the Forsythe Preserve (since it's tidal waters), including the area around Oak Island without a permit as long as you don't step out of the kayak into the marsh. If you want to walk on the marsh areas, you need a special use permit. Hunting there requires a hunting permit. He is e-mailing me an application. I need to fill out the application and his supervisor will decide whether to grant it. Since I am a biologist and I just want to take pictures, he didn't see any problem.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I contacted Don Friday at the Forsythe Preserve HQ in Oceanville. He informed me that you are allowed to kayak into most areas of the Forsythe Preserve (since it's tidal waters), including the area around Oak Island without a permit as long as you don't step out of the kayak into the marsh. If you want to walk on the marsh areas, you need a special use permit. Hunting there requires a hunting permit. He is e-mailing me an application. I need to fill out the application and his supervisor will decide whether to grant it. Since I am a biologist and I just want to take pictures, he didn't see any problem.
You are a biologist as in a Batchelors degree holding biologist?What type of Biology?
This is the type of crap that aggravates me,nothing against biologists but it seems that in a few years holding an accredited college degree will be the only thing that will allow you to access most of our public land.I guess holders of degrees must weigh less then the rest of us and they don't make footprints or squish ants like the rest of us inadvertently do.I feel like an alien on my own planet.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You are a biologist as in a Batchelors degree holding biologist?What type of Biology?
This is the type of crap that aggravates me,nothing against biologists but it seems that in a few years holding an accredited college degree will be the only thing that will allow you to access most of our public land.I guess holders of degrees must weigh less then the rest of us and they don't make footprints or squish ants like the rest of us inadvertently do.I feel like an alien on my own planet.

Have you be turned down for a permit request?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway

It's not the fact that you're not an educated biologist. It's because you're a creationist.