Franklin Parker Preserve

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I share your attachment to Camo Gibby.Been wearing camo before camo was cool.I also don't like being noticed unless I want to be and do not enjoy looking like a neon sign.Have never figured out how something that stands upright and walks on two legs can be mistaken for a deer anyway.

Exactly. The only reason a I am concerned about the location of hunters is because I don't want to ruin their hunt because I am passing through for a brief moment, while they have been sitting in the tree all morning. That would upset me if I where in there shoes. I have never been worried about being mistaken for a deer and shot. The Pines are open enough for this not to happen. However when small game comes in it is a different story. I am careful where I am during that time. There are a few characters with poor muzzle discipline during that season, but only a few.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I try to avoid hunters as well.Gun hunters are fairly easy to avoid as long as they wear the orange but bow hunters are another story.Had my dog run right under one once.he did not seem to get mad about it.I seen him in the stand above an old road I was walking and is no longer used by vehicles.I don't know what disturbed the area more,my dog or me hysterically yelling at him.Also had a dog run across a marsh and flush a duck hunter out of a blind.Don't know how he took it,never got close to him,this the time the dog listened and cam back,luckily without a wad of buckshot in his rear end.Problem is dogs are pretty much useless in the woods in the summer.I have never had a dog that could take the heat and in winter when the dogs are rarin to go the woods are full of hunters.I've also never had a dog that was leash trained,kind of ruins the whole purpose of gettin em out in the woods anyway.They want to run and I'm not much of a runner.Dogs are fun but they do bring a whole assortment of problems into the mix.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Dogs are fun but they do bring a whole assortment of problems into the mix.

Have you ever considered putting a blaze orange vest on your Lab for this time of year? I had a protection vest for my Golden Retriever when I would hunt duck and upland game. He was visible and it protected his chest when he jumped to retrieve. Damn good dog, he has been gone for some time now.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Scott had mentioned a vest,I didn't know they had them in orange.She doesn't hunt since I don't but she does love the water and she never stops to look before hitting it hard,this wouldn't be a bad idea.After this Lab I'll never get another breed of dog.This dog is tough and smart but just stupid enough to make her loveable.What else can you do with a dog that has to dig a hole in a tile and concrete floor and then circle three times before she lays down in it?She's 80 lbs and crawls up in my lap like she's a pup,sprawls on her back across my legs and demands her belly be rubbed.She has a vocabulary that must approach a hundred words and the only dog i ever had that could beat me in a swimming race:)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Manu, it was either Browning or Remington that made the vest. It was made of neoprene with a chest protector and grab handles built in. It was camo with a pair of wide orange stripes. I must have tried ten different brands before I found one that fit the best.

Does your Lab dive? My Mick use to do that. The first time he dove under the surface I was stripping down to go rescue him. I though he was drowning. I don't know how he learned to do that.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
We use the Avery neoprene vest on my son's dog Hank. Good insulation and tough as nails. You can feel the retained heat if you slip your hand between the vest and the dog. We have a full camo version and a snow white one for snow goose hunting amidst a field of Sillo socks.

They are invaluable if you do a lot of wood duck hunting, as we do, in beaver inhabited areas. They protect the dog from the pointed remnants of beaver chewed vegetation in the water and along the banks. As everyone knows, you can't easily slow a lab's entry into the water.

A man in my club lost a prized lab in this year while training in a bog in the pines and it was a devastating loss for him and his wife. A stick punctured the dog's chest and he died in less than a minute.

The Avery vest:
http://www.averysportingdog.com/products/Vests.php

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Manu, it was either Browning or Remington that made the vest. It was made of neoprene with a chest protector and grab handles built in. It was camo with a pair of wide orange stripes. I must have tried ten different brands before I found one that fit the best.

Does your Lab dive? My Mick use to do that. The first time he dove under the surface I was stripping down to go rescue him. I though he was drowning. I don't know how he learned to do that.
No she doesn't dive!That is awesome! Wish i could train her to do that.Maybe I'll have to try this summer.How would I do it?Pull her under?That might make her afraid of me:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We use the Avery neoprene vest on my son's dog Hank. Good insulation and tough as nails. You can feel the retained heat if you slip your hand between the vest and the dog. We have a full camo version and a snow white one for snow goose hunting amidst a field of Sillo socks.

They are invaluable if you do a lot of wood duck hunting, as we do, in beaver inhabited areas. They protect the dog from the pointed remnants of beaver chewed vegetation in the water and along the banks. As everyone knows, you can't easily slow a lab's entry into the water.

A man in my club lost a prized lab in this year while training in a bog in the pines and it was a devastating loss for him and his wife. A stick punctured the dog's chest and he died in less than a minute.

The Avery vest:
http://www.averysportingdog.com/products/Vests.php
Thanks Scott.I would not know what to do if that was my dog.I am planning on taking a trip to Gander Mountain in Hamburg pa,would they sell these there?Gonna load up on some camping gear and might pick up one of these too.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yea because hunters aren't newbies at times and don't shoot at anything that moves.

Pineywoman, go out and have fun. You will be safe.;)

Some facts for us all, from the National Safety Council - The odds of being killed by a hunter while hunting is .0015% - .00425%. For a non-hunter, the odds of being killed by a hunter is one fatality for every twelve million recreation days of hunting. You are twenty more times likely to die from an insect sting than to be wounded by a hunter.

Reactions: dogg57

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
However...

luckyhat.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks Scott.I would not know what to do if that was my dog.I am planning on taking a trip to Gander Mountain in Hamburg pa,would they sell these there?Gonna load up on some camping gear and might pick up one of these too.

Al,
According to Gander Mountain's website they carry the Drake brand vest. It looks similar and would do the job. Call before you go to see if it is an in-store item.

We use Gun Dog Supply for a lot of things and they carry the Avery vest.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/avery-buck-brush-boaters-neoprene-dog-vest.html

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Nice. Gang up on the PW won't ya! Gibby thank you. I plan on it. I always have fun. I have met some imbecile hunters that's all. Some drink all day waiting for that deer. Not usually a good idea. Just saying! I like deer. Yummy!! Anyone hunt so that I can buy some this year?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have met some imbecile hunters that's all. Some drink all day waiting for that deer.

That has to be an extremely low number of hunters. I wouldn't even lump them up with hunters. Just idiots going in the woods with guns. I grew up in a hunting culture and still live in it. I have yet to meet a hunter that drinks alcohol while hunting.

Anyone hunt so that I can buy some this year?

You can ask if someone will give you some venison, it is illegal to sell venison in New Jersey.

Chris