Burden Hill Preserve, A PBX Hike

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
The area is nearly a monoculture of chestnut oak

Scott, the presence of chestnut oak helps weave a story about the "Basket Manf'y" shown on the diagram above, Map of Quinton Township. The shop's position can be seen just below the Turnip Hill. Chestnut oak was the favored tree for basketry and splint production in the Pine Barrens. Trees that grew on on edge of spungs were particularly coveted. Chestnut oak's thick bark was an excellent tannin source for currying.

S-M

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
It is great fun offer these tantalizing tidbits, but still need to cover my aging academic ass in regard to the Burden/Bordens toponym. Where did I read about this issue a while ago? There are lots of names that drifted over time (Inskeeps to Inkskips, Moores Mill to Moss Mill).

It is great fun offer these tantalizing tidbits, but still need to cover my aging academic ass in regard to the Burden/Bordens toponym. Where did I read about this issue a while ago? There are lots of names that drifted over time (Inskeeps to Inkskips, Moores Mill to Moss Mill).

Spung-Man:

I’m not sure there is enough fabric in the world to cover your “aging academic ass” :), but perhaps the following will provide you with a partial bit of modesty:

In Volume XXI of the New Jersey Archives series—the volume that contains abstracts of the earliest deeds for East and West New Jersey—a check of the index under “Burden” will only refer you to index entries listed under “Borden,” indicating that the spelling of this surname was interchangeable. Hence the hill variously carrying the name “Borden” or “Burden” would be correct with either spelling. Although I have not taken the time to track down every survey, the preponderance of early land transactions under the name “Borden” involves a Benjamin Borden (Burden) of Middletown, Monmouth County, who purchased and sold lands in Salem County as a speculator.

Thomas F. Gordon, writing in his famous gazetteer of New Jersey, notes:

The forest known as the “Barrens,” runs here, producing much white oak and pine wood for market, which finds its way to Philadelphia by Alloways creek.

Numerous sources indicate that Borden’s Hill is the highest point in Salem County and the earliest published map—the 1849 map of Gloucester and Salem counties by Stansbie, Keily and Rea—seems to suggest so, since it shows the hill with an observatory on the top:

Detail, 1849 Gloucester and Salem Map.jpg

While I agree with you that Inskeep transitioned to Inskip, I disagree that Moss Mill began as Moore’s Mill. The builder of what we know as “Moss Mill” was a man named Robert Morss, not Moore.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Spung-Man:

I’m not sure there is enough fabric in the world to cover your “aging academic ass” :)

Borden’s Hill

Thanks Jesreyman, you beat me to the 1849 map by two minutes! I was ready to post and found your reply. Jerseyman to the rescue, at the price of becoming the butt of a wisecrack.

As for Moss Mill, I have seen both spellings but haven't the time to iron that one out.

Cheers,
S-M

Thanks Jerseyman, you beat me to the 1849 map by two minutes! I was ready to post and found your reply. Jerseyman to the rescue, at the price of becoming the butt of a wisecrack.

As for Moss Mill, I have seen both spellings but haven't the time to iron that one out.

Cheers,
S-M

S-M:

“butt of a wisecrack”?????? Where’s the spackling compound when you need it????? :) :) :)

Regarding Moss Mill, I have examined the original deeds and surveys and can assure you that it is Morss and not Moore.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Ed.As you can see Sophie is quite simple.37 degrees and she is in the water.She was actually over her head on several occasions.These ponds are all quite shallow with sandy bottoms and sparse pondweeds growing on bottom.I knew there had to be an outlet to Stow Creek somewhere but couldn't see it on the aerials.I found it and it appears to be artificially rocked to stop erosion and the pond draining.There are wooden stakes scattered around that I believe to be markers for either botanical or biological sightings.The marsh leading down to the ponds is quite barrensy filled with young cedar and cotton grass with young pine around the edges.Kind of reminiscent of Menantico south of the tracks without the deserts.