Just a Comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This afternoon as we were out shopping, I stopped by the local sports store to pick up wood chips for smoking. The results from panic buying were apparent. There wasn't one rifle and any associated item in the store. I am friends with the owner and he took a moment to tell me that ammunition has sold out (.223, 5.56, 7.62 etc) and won't be available in any large quantity for months. Most, if not all, of the gun manufacturers will not take any more orders because they have over a years worth to fulfill already. Can you imagine the revenue that is being generated! In the past week his sales of military style weapons exceeded the total of what was sold last year. The largest total for a single purchase was over six thousand dollars. It is crazy. Hopefully, level heads will prevail.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In the past week his sales of military style weapons exceeded the total of what was sold last year. The largest total for a single purchase was over six thousand dollars. It is crazy. Hopefully, level heads will prevail.

Is it a panic, or just fear that I smell?

:D

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Is it a panic, or just fear that I smell?

:D

Bobpbx, I saw wide eyed nervous people who had idea what they why they were there. I would say it was fear with a pinch of paranoia. I felt out of place when all I had was a bag of apple and hickory chips.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
This afternoon as we were out shopping I stopped by the local sports store to pick up wood chips for smoking. The results from panic buying was apparent. There wasn't one rifle and any associated item in the store. I am friends with the owner and he took a moment to tell me that ammunition has sold out (.223, 5.56, 7.62 etc) and won't be available in any large quantity for months. Most, if not all, of the gun manufacturers will not take any more orders because they have over a years worth to fulfill. Can you imagine the revenue that is being generated! In the past week his sales of military style weapons exceeded the total of what was sold last year. The largest total for a single purchase was over six thousand dollars. It is crazy. Hopefully, level heads will prevail.

It's been like that all over the country. Most of the shelves are empty at the gun stores, both in firearms and ammo. The NICS check, which is usually a 5-10 minute process on the phone, has been taking days for dealer to complete. It's backing up their sale for days and days. I know a gun dealer in South Jersey that opened Saturday, just for those folks who purchased a firearm during the week that had been waiting on the NICS check to take the gun home.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
An ad from way before my time, but amazing how things have changed.

guns.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
President W Mckinley and Robert Kenedy were assassinated with Iver Johnson pistols. They were in business until 1993. They also built .50 cal sniper rifles for the US military. That $6 pistol is now collectable and goes for $200-900, depending on condition and version.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
You can’t lump everyone now rushing to buy firearms into the same group. I’m sure they range from the crazed to those just doing the logical thing, considering the circumstances. Putting aside the debate over whether these guns should be legal to buy or not, if you are on the side that does feel you have a use or need for them now would certainly seem to me to be a wise time to get one.

I’m not particularly into these weapons myself. I hunt with very traditional guns, half of them loading from the front. However I did make a precautionary purchase years ago, when Clinton was just elected. I was never much of a handgunner, having a lone .22 revolver that I took out now and then to punch holes in paper and knock tin cans off of logs with. But I always kicked around the idea of a picking up a centerfire handgun for home defense. While no laws banning the type of gun I bought were passed, I couldn’t know that for sure at the time and it just seemed to be the right time to go ahead and get one. I’ve barely shot the thing since then, being too cheap to pay for range time and finding it increasingly risky to go out to a remote spot in the woods like I once did. I also hardly ever use my home insurance, but I still keep it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A similar thing happened just before the first assault gun ban, then again with the mag limits, then again after the 2008 election. I can't find fault with anyone that is legally purchasing a firearm in concern that the ability to do so might be taken away. One regulation I would like to see implemented is a requirement to attend an approriate firearms safety course by a licensed instructor before the purchase permit is issued, and a subsequent course specific to the type of firearm purchased that includes licensed instructor supervised range time.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was trusted with an M-16 and 7 40 round magazines (they jam if you put much more then 30 rounds in them) and two hand grenades one LAW one AT-4 and a 50 cal machine gun on top of my truck when I was in uniform.Now for some reason I'm a national security threat with anything more awesome then a bow and arrow.Wish I had the 16 back.Thats a mean rifle.

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
I was trusted with an M-16 and 7 40 round magazines (they jam if you put much more then 30 rounds in them) and two hand grenades one LAW one AT-4 and a 50 cal machine gun on top of my truck when I was in uniform.Now for some reason I'm a national security threat with anything more awesome then a bow and arrow.Wish I had the 16 back.Thats a mean rifle.
And for about fifteen grand and a two hundred dollar gift to the gov. you can own one..........well maybe not in your state

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
President W Mckinley and Robert Kenedy were assassinated with Iver Johnson pistols. They were in business until 1993. They also built .50 cal sniper rifles for the US military. That $6 pistol is now collectable and goes for $200-900, depending on condition and version.

Well heck, just about anything that was six dollars forty plus years ago is worth more than two hundred now.......

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
It's a mean rifle but not fifteen grand mean.maybe a grand.For 15 I want an ICBM
Don't even think you can buy an ar15 for a grand now. They just about doubled in price in the last four days, Dealers are closing out the year with a bang. I would sell all of mine tomorrow if I was sure I could replace them in six months.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I'm set on my very small collection, which serves me well for HD/SD, target practice and general plinking. I don't need any of these high-end, expensive, military-looking weapons. Besides, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to the price of ammo. I'm not about to own something that cost $1+ per round ammo. I have enough here to do what has to be done, if it ever comes to that. No need to stockpile and build an arsenal for me.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Don't even think you can buy an ar15 for a grand now. They just about doubled in price in the last four days, Dealers are closing out the year with a bang. I would sell all of mine tomorrow if I was sure I could replace them in six months.
I'm going to have to say this in code. If you have watched The Three Stooges you will understand. "Iksnay on the AR-15-ay if you live in NJ-ay."

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I don't speak code...... Texas. Can't even bring my bb gun when I visit NJ. It is the only full auto I can afford to buy and shoot.
Oh, well, then you're fine with an AR-15. I didn't realize you lived in Texas. I thought you lived behind the Trenton Iron Curtain with the rest of us. :D

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Here's my take on assault weapons.

An assault weapon has a selective fire switch and is capable of firing in semi-auto, bursts and fully automatic. Assault weapons were banned for civilian use in 1934. You need to possess a Class III firearms license to own an assault weapon, and those permits are rarely granted, except occasionally to serious gun collectors. Since 1934 there has only been one reported murder committed by a civilian with a legally owned assault weapon.

Gun grabbers use the term "assault weapon" to demonize guns that have a military style appearance. They know when they call a gun an "assault weapon," the average person congers up a vision of prohibition era gangsters mowing people down with a Thompson sub-machine gun or a soldier spraying a machine gun in a World War II movie. It's pure propaganda to call a semi-automatic gun an assault weapon and it's an outrageous lie to say that a semi-automatic gun is capable of firing hundreds of rounds a minute. The truth: the guns that are being classified as "assault weapons" by gun control propagandists are semi-automatic guns and all semi-automatic guns, regardless of their appearance, shoot exactly the same. A Remington hunting rifle shoots exactly the same way as an AR-15, an AK-47 or a Tec-9. They all have the exact same rate of fire; one trigger pull, one bullet. What makes a gun an assault weapon is its function, not its appearance.

Passing laws banning the ownership of semi-automatic rifles based on their appearance will have no effect on the criminals and the insane who misuse them. Like all gun laws, the only people who will obey a falsely called "assault weapons ban" are law abiding citizens who don't commit crimes with their guns and pose no threat to society. Whenever there is a mass shooting like the one that occurred in Connecticut, there are two things that are almost always present. 1) The shooter is seriously mentally ill. 2) The shooting occurs in a location where the victims are unarmed and cannot defend themselves. If we want to stop these tragedies from happening then we need to focus our efforts on keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and providing people the liberty to defend themselves. Banning rifles because they have a pistol grip, a folding stock or a flash suppressor will do nothing to stop mass shootings. The assault weapons ban that was in effect in 1999 did not stop the two shooters in Columbine High School.

Status
Not open for further replies.