Campers at Columbus?

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
If you have read through all these posts you know I was a councelor there in 1970. We did a lot of wet hikes but the horses and Batsto all happened after John Sherry took over in '71. I was in the cub village, Cabin 13. I check in here occaisionally and will somehow post some of my pictures. Won't ever be on facebook though. I have a group shot of just the cub village that will probably be easy to post here. It's about one third the size of the regular camp group shots. John McCarty

mjwalsh

Feb 2, 2013
I think you were my counselor, I have a 1970 photo of everybody--cubs, seniors, etc--and I was there the whole damn summer! MJWalsh

mjwalsh

Feb 2, 2013
I think you were my counselor, I have a 1970 photo of everybody--cubs, seniors, etc--and I was there the whole damn summer! MJWalsh
My mother Mary was the RN, my uncle Pat Dolan was the Camp Director, his wife Katie and my mom were the cooks, my brother Paul was in another cabin, my 6 year old brother and my 13 year old sister--who stayed with my mom in Father Woo's cabin (don't know where they put Father Woo, maybe with Pat the Swim Director?), and my cousin Erin Dolan was there for the duration of the summer of '70 as well. My dad came down to see us on weekends from Hbg PA.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Quite a family gathering. Any photo's that you would be willing to share.?

Guy

mjwalsh

Feb 2, 2013
Quite a family gathering. Any photo's that you would be willing to share.?
I did a so so job of putting this together but it works. I just called my brother and sister and brought up a lot of memories. Bug juice (kool aid), zell ball, arts n crafts, multi activities, always stuff to do. Not long ago I showed my daughter how to make a 12 string aka 'gimp' lanyard based on what i remembered from camp.
Guy

Attachments

• Camp Columbus Bamber Lake 1970.jpg
    Camp Columbus Bamber Lake 1970.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 937
Reactions: WaretownMike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks! That is similar to the 1967 photo we were provided. Your photo is in better shape but it appears there were less campers that year.

Guy

mjwalsh

Feb 2, 2013
My uncle Pat is a pretty amazing man and could always get things done, even if it meant asking his sister and his wife to come to Bamber Lake for the season to work as cooks--and an RN--to keep the camp open, otherwise all the kids would have to go home. At first I wasn't thrilled about going for two weeks but in the end I was very happy to have spent the season at Camp Columbus. We had a great time. Got in trouble for hitch hiking, the bunch of us, coming back from a long hike (to the dam?). We were lagging behind everyone, dusty, hot, dehydrated, so we stuck our thumbs out and a pick up truck picked us up. We all waved at the group that was in front of us as we went by them but when we got back we were reprimanded somehow, but it was all fun. Uncle Pat had to fire the original cooks the first week because they were drunk on the job. The original nurse had some sickness or pregnancy issues and had to leave. Bummer for my mom, she thought she was going to have a two-week summer break from me and my brother. Mark

Attachments

• Camp Columbus Bamber Lake 1970.jpg
    Camp Columbus Bamber Lake 1970.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 687
Reactions: John

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is a great photo! I wish I had the land and a lake to run a camp. I'd make them check their cell phones and portable music and portable video games at the door. Did I miss any electronic devices of immorality? I'm an old fogey now.

mjwalsh

Feb 2, 2013
Yeah, that might have been one of the weeks towards the end of the season, not as many campers probably, only the tried and true of us, which was even better for, shorter lines at the cantine (italian lemon ice always), less stress for the counselors, etc. Can you name any of the people in the photo?

mjwalsh

Feb 2, 2013
That is a great photo! I wish I had the land and a lake to run a camp. I'd make them check their cell phones and portable music and portable video games at the door. Did I miss any electronic devices of immorality? I'm an old fogey now.
I can't imagine my daughter being at Camp Columbus for two weeks, I dunno. But for me and my brother it was pretty cool to get the hell outta dodge for a while. Mark

mjwalsh

Feb 2, 2013
jmcarty on NJPR, wherever you are, the kid that sang the Beatles' songs on talent night is in the second row, seventh from the left, black hair, dark shirt, cant remember his name, he actually sang 'Ticket to Ride' pretty well.

30 pickup

Jun 25, 2010
My brother and I spent 2 weeks at camp in 53 and 54. In 54 I went to camp with my arm in a cast. I had to see the nurse every morning and couldn't do any activities . During that time we lived in Fairview and spending 2 weeks in the woods was great. I put up such a fuss that they did let me go in the water. One day myself and another camper wandered off in the woods and came upon an outside gym, I was told by someone that the Camden Catholic High School football team used the camp for training. I don't know how true, but thats what I was told.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It seems odd they would have that so far away unless it was just a summer training camp for them.

30 pickup

Jun 25, 2010
As best as I can remember the camp was run the same as reported in previous posts. The camp was run by the Knights Of Columbus and it makes sence that the school used the camp for football training camp after the summer camp was over.

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
Ok Mark Walsh, wherever you are (Harrisburg as I recall) Yes I and Don Marren were your councelors. I have the picture you posted. Gerard is on the bottom row at the far left end. Carl Celantano is the singer. I am in the top row 11 from the right. Don is right behind me. This was before your Mom and Aunt took over in the kitchen because the chef is sitting on the bench behind you to the left. Reading your posts it seems your uncle is still with us. My regards to him, your Aunt and Mom. I actually worked with a friend of his for many years, Bill Neal.(last name may be spelled wrong) I am a retired teacher with a son, daughter, granddaughter and wonderful wife. I will check back in to see your response and post a few more memories. John

Kevinator

Aug 11, 2015
Elizabeth
My uncle Pat is a pretty amazing man and could always get things done, even if it meant asking his sister and his wife to come to Bamber Lake for the season to work as cooks--and an RN--to keep the camp open, otherwise all the kids would have to go home. At first I wasn't thrilled about going for two weeks but in the end I was very happy to have spent the season at Camp Columbus. We had a great time. Got in trouble for hitch hiking, the bunch of us, coming back from a long hike (to the dam?). We were lagging behind everyone, dusty, hot, dehydrated, so we stuck our thumbs out and a pick up truck picked us up. We all waved at the group that was in front of us as we went by them but when we got back we were reprimanded somehow, but it was all fun. Uncle Pat had to fire the original cooks the first week because they were drunk on the job. The original nurse had some sickness or pregnancy issues and had to leave. Bummer for my mom, she thought she was going to have a two-week summer break from me and my brother. Mark

Kevinator

Aug 11, 2015
Elizabeth
I was a Counselor at Camp Columbus during the summer of 1970. It was a lot of fun with activities on Bamber Lake. We played a lot of basketball against other camps as Counselors and we had a decent team. Cabins were a step above camping and the locals used to try and scare the campers. My Brother Brian and I would enjoy fishing Bamber Lake on our infrequent days off and would venture in to Seaside Heights on the weekends.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx