Campers at Columbus?

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
I grew up to age 15 (1965) in Haddonfield, and hid out during much of the summer at my father's warehouse business on Rt. 73 in Marlton, at the edge of the Barrens. I stayed at Camp Columbus just north of Bamber Lake in 1960 and 1961. To say that the camp changed my life is an understatement--I was introduced to natural history, to the Barrens legends, to 18th and 19th century history, to cedar water, to pitcher plants, skunk cabbage, and sundews, to rattlers, to Pineys, to blueberries, and to sand, sand, and more sand during those two or three summers, not to mention to discipline like I had never known. I took the lessons with me and grew them into a life's work. I encountered this group when I did a whimsical search for Camp Columbus on the web, and I see from the lack of apparent information that the place is probably long-gone. I remember that the owner(?) director was a gentleman named Callahan, and it was basically a camp for Catholic boys--we had Mass every morning and longer Mass on Sundays, two activity periods per day (hiking, crafts, swimming, boating, etc), twice-daily cabin inspections (woe betide the cabin with a dust bunny on the floor), and a nighttime assembly that was my favorite part because the naturalist did a presentation nearly every night (we didn't sing "Kumbaya" but we didn't sing hymns either). The naturalist during my time at the camp was a high school teacher from Pennsylvania named Joe Semanchek (sp?), and I will always remember him for introducing me to natural history and to music (he was a fine resonator guitar player).

I'm posting primarily to polish my own memory of a significant but long-bygone time, but also to inquire whether anyone else on this forum might have attended the camp, perhaps might have some knowledge about Mr. Callahan, Mr. Semanchek (sp?), the camp--how long did it survive past my time, what happened to Mr. S? etc. I'm quite sure that if I returned now I would be deeply grief-stricken by all the changes to the Barrens (I live in northern California and last visited NJ in 1980), so I'm content with the memories and with the daily application of those influences in my own life. Still, if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it.

Sean Barry

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
wow! what a first great post. welcome aboard. never explored the bamber lake area camps but im sure someone will have some info for you. also i guess you remember the sand. did you forget about the ticks and chiggers. l.o.l.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is not there anymore. Bobpbx lives near there and can tell you more as I suspect he will. I also remember one other mentioning he went there also so maybe they will chime in.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the forum. It is interesting to have someone on the forum who had actually attended Camp Columbus. Thanks for the insight into the "daily operations" of the organization. I have heard it mentioned, but have little knowledge it. As Guy mentioned, Bob should have some information.

I was nine in 1980 so it is hard for me to comment but I don't think you would be that dissapointed if you were to visit the pines today. Yeah, there is alot more development, but giving the time frame of 26 years, you might be pleasantly surprised. A look in the photo gallery on the forum might be of interest to you.

So, Joe S. played a resonator? Neat! Blues or Hank Williams stuff?

Jeff

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Yes, Joe played the resonator guitar, Hawaiian music as I recall. The priest at the camp also played the acoustic guitar (the first time I ever saw an old Martin guitar). I took those and several other influences and a few years later took up the guitar, then the banjo, then the Dobro, then the mandolin, and eventually parlayed that into 10 years on the road as a professional bluegreass musician, in amongst my carreer in microbiology and herpetology. It wasn't much of a living but I did play all over the US and revisited the Barrens during my travels in 1980.

Other things I remember about Camp Columbus (sadly, I have no photos):

There were indeed some ticks but I don't remember suffering from chiggers. Sundews in the retaining wall timbers at the dam, prunes with every meal, flying squirrels in the purple martin house, turtles turtles everywhere, sphagnum and British soldier lichen, ancient foundations in the woods where lizards basked, hikes to "huckleberry island," brown streaks on my skin after swimming (cedar water), reveille at dawn. This is starting to come back as I write about it. Top of the list is the very large and very lost timber rattler I encountered one day in the community shower/bathroom in the "cub village." Joe S. caught it and as I recall kept it for a day or two to show the campers--I think it might actually have died during that time. For me it was an incredible combination of fear and exhilaration to find that animal, which was equally afraid and having difficulty getting purchase on the smooth concrete floor to escape. Thanks in large part to that encounter I went on to become a scientific herpetologist but unfortunately the Pine Barrens timber rattler has continued the decline that began during the 1930's when the large den area at Mount Misery was wrecked by the CCC camp that was established during the depression (read about it in Carl Kauffeld's 1959 book "Snakes and Snake Hunting"--there is quite a bit of material about the Barrens, Asa Pittman's bog, Mount Misery, and Crossley). Some may actually welcome the decline, but to me that huge but very timid rattler symbolized the Barrens wilderness and it still does.

As alluded above, the Camp was split into the "cub village" and "senior village," and I think one had to be 12 to be housed in the senior side of the road. The cub village was perhaps six wood cabins (4-6 bunk sets each plus the counselor's bed) with the aforementioned community shower, beteen the road and the lake. The senior village was across the road, along with the assembly hall, the mess hall, the infirmary (Mr. Callahan's spouse was a RN), the outdoor assembly place/fire pit, the snack shop, and the chapel. I already mentioned the two daily activity times and I also mentioned enjoying the nightly assembly best of all. A very tight second were the hikes and they would have been first except that some of the counselors looked at them as a workout/forced march opportunity for the 10-year olds rather than adventures and opportunities for discovery. We learned to find out who was leading the hike and where it was going before rashly signing up for it. The priest also taught and supervised archery, at which I did well because I had already learned from my father. I remember quite a few "carrot and stick" ways of doing things, but overall the Camp was a tremendous experience for a 9-10 year old who cared to absorb everything he could about the natural world.

I also remember the "ghost hunt," which as I recall happened during the sixth week of the seven-week camp season. We were all gathered in the assembly hall just at dusk and told that some of the more popular counselors had seen some ghosts near Cabin X (or Y or Z). The counselors had vanished while chasing the ghosts, and our mission was to find them. We were led though the dark woods in small groups, treated occasionally to the sight of one of the other counselors laying in the path, moaning (I started out the evening not believing a word of it, but my confidence was shaken pretty badly by the end of the adventure). Finally we looped around to the camp and there perched on one of the cabins were two or three "ghosts" with torches. We were quickly led back to the assembly hall, and they turned out the lights so that the ghosts wouldn't be attracted to the hall. Then they switched the lights on and there in front of us were the ghosts, who after a suitable terror interval removed their hoods and of course they were the missing counselors. It was considerably more terrifying than a snipe hunt but I've never been afraid of the dark or of rattlesnakes since my experience at Camp Columbus.

Perhaps another time I'll add some material about other singular experiences, but for now I've probably written much more than anyone cared to know about Camp Columbus. I'm a grandfather now, and I hope sometime to take my grandson to visit the site. There are certainly plenty of ghosts of bygone times to rediscover in and out of the camp.

Thanks for the time you've taken to read this.

Sean Barry

woodjin said:
Welcome to the forum. It is interesting to have someone on the forum who had actually attended Camp Columbus. Thanks for the insight into the "daily operations" of the organization. I have heard it mentioned, but have little knowledge it. As Guy mentioned, Bob should have some information.

I was nine in 1980 so it is hard for me to comment but I don't think you would be that dissapointed if you were to visit the pines today. Yeah, there is alot more development, but giving the time frame of 26 years, you might be pleasantly surprised. A look in the photo gallery on the forum might be of interest to you.

So, Joe S. played a resonator? Neat! Blues or Hank Williams stuff?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What was your fathers warehouse business on 73 in Marlton? I grew up in Marlton from 1957 off of 73 near the circle. Maybe we can share stories on that area also?

Guy

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
It was called National Supply and Equipment, in business at that location circa 1960-65 (before that it was in Gibbsboro). True to my father's way of finding a deal and not being shy about it, the building was an 19th century white church on about 1/2 acre. It was just north of the northeast corner of Braddoch/Kresson Road and Rt. 73, across the highway and north of Kresson Lake. I remember quite clearly that we drove out Kresson Road from just outside of Haddonfield to get there, and that to a young boy it seemed to take an eternity. I assume that the creek that flowed out of the lake was Kresson Creek but whatever its name I used to fish under and alongside the Rt 73 culvert and if you like bullheads that was definitely the place. My father died very young (46) of a cerebral hemmorhage in 1965, and my mother leased the property out until about 1977. She then sold it, but I still have the original skeleton key to the front door of the church and there may be a photograph somewhere--if I find one I'll post it. I haunted the creek and also usually walked out Braddoch road when I was out at "the office," and found many interesting critters and plants out there. It wasn't deep into the Barrens so I didn't find anything uniquely of the Barrens but I still kept busy and made lots of inroads into my incipient natural history education.

We moved to southern California after my father died (my mother was from there, we needed a place to live, and the church/warehouse in Marlton wasn't well-suited), and though I was down there at a fairly good time in that the extreme rape of every flatland and foothill buildable spot didn't begin until the 1970's, I don't believe that I could ever have gotten as much from my wanderings in SoCal as I did in those distant times in the New Jersey woods. SoCal has (even now) some great places and six species of rattlers (most of which are abundant), but even in solitude I missed and still miss the Barrens feeling.

Plus, in a nutshell New Jersey has a treasure trove of significant history that I appreciated even as a small boy, and California has history (missions, gold rush) that it should do its best to forget.

Thanks to this forum for giving me an opportunity to revisit those times.

Sean Barry

TeeGate said:
What was your fathers warehouse business on 73 in Marlton? I grew up in Marlton from 1957 off of 73 near the circle. Maybe we can share stories on that area also?

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice writing. I especially liked:

Sundews in the retaining wall timbers at the dam, prunes with every meal, flying squirrels in the purple martin house, turtles turtles everywhere, sphagnum and British soldier lichen, ancient foundations in the woods where lizards basked, hikes to "huckleberry island," brown streaks on my skin after swimming (cedar water), reveille at dawn. This is starting to come back as I write about it. Top of the list is the very large and very lost timber rattler I encountered one day in the community shower/bathroom in the "cub village." Joe S. caught it and as I recall kept it for a day or two to show the campers--I think it might actually have died during that time. For me it was an incredible combination of fear and exhilaration to find that animal, which was equally afraid and having difficulty getting purchase on the smooth concrete floor to escape.

You are in luck. I ran across a photo of the camp with the boys assembled outside the main hall. It might have been the late 60's. I know the guy who has it. He lives 200 yards from the camp site. I will try to post it tomorrow nite. Check back.

PS: they now call it 'blueberry island'.

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Guy--

Ah, Braddock Mills Road, not Braddoch Road. I'm about 98% sure that you are correct asbout the location of the property. I remember the short road that bordered the church property, and I still also remember (how I do is beyond me) the house along Rt 73 between the church property and the creek. Is the church still extant (beyond all unlikely things)? If so, I still have the key....

Thanks again

Sean Barry

TeeGate said:
Sean,

If I am correct the church was located right next to a man my dad worked with named Mike Jarvis. His house was the NE corner property at 73 and Braddock's Mill road. The house the last time I went by was crumbling.

Here is the house and if I am correct your place may be right above the arrow. Not sure.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.85...852,-74.921082&spn=0.006334,0.016115&t=k&om=1

Guy

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Cool! Many thanks. Have all of the structures at the Camp been razed? I remember that the counselors considered huckleberries to be different from blueberries and I also remember what they called huckleberries being somewhat smaller and tougher to chew than the blueberries. The hike to huckleberry island always included an interval for berry picking and eating (and yes, there didn't seem to be too many huckleberries on huckleberry island but there were a lot of blueberry bushes) and we always passed some ancient foundations where we sometimes found a large pine snake (we thought it was the same snake every time and I think it probably was). I liked the huckleberry island hike more than most of the others just because of that pine snake.

Thanks again to all on this forum who have been so kind as to indulge my memories.

Sean Barry

bobpbx said:
Very nice writing. I especially liked:

Sundews in the retaining wall timbers at the dam, prunes with every meal, flying squirrels in the purple martin house, turtles turtles everywhere, sphagnum and British soldier lichen, ancient foundations in the woods where lizards basked, hikes to "huckleberry island," brown streaks on my skin after swimming (cedar water), reveille at dawn. This is starting to come back as I write about it. Top of the list is the very large and very lost timber rattler I encountered one day in the community shower/bathroom in the "cub village." Joe S. caught it and as I recall kept it for a day or two to show the campers--I think it might actually have died during that time. For me it was an incredible combination of fear and exhilaration to find that animal, which was equally afraid and having difficulty getting purchase on the smooth concrete floor to escape.

You are in luck. I ran across a photo of the camp with the boys assembled outside the main hall. It might have been the late 60's. I know the guy who has it. He lives 200 yards from the camp site. I will try to post it tomorrow nite. Check back.

PS: they now call it 'blueberry island'.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
If you have any more stories of finding reptiles I'm all ears. I'm always very curious as to whether or not reptiles have suffered a large decline in the pines, or maybe they have always been difficult to find. I live right on the border line between barrington and haddonfield, where did you grow up? very interesting post by the way, I enjoyed them.
Chris

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Have you read "Snakes and Snake Hunting" by Carl Kauffeld? (1959, Hanover House, reprinted about 2001 by Krieger). Kauffeld worked in the Barrens beginning in the early 1930's, and he asserted many times in his book and in person that even back then snakes were generally scarce in the Barrens. He did find 4-5 rattlers as they were emerging from their bog den in the spring at Mount Misery, but that was very unusual and had he come a day earlier or later he probably would have found none or one. The den area at Mt. Misery was partly destroyed when several small developments (a church, a CCC camp, probably others) went up in the late 1930's, but my understanding is that rattlers continue to be found in the neighborhood (in my own research on snakes in the west, I've found that they tend to have a great deal of site fidelity even when the habitat has been altered). Anyway, see my post in the "Nature and Environment" part of this forum about finding a scarlet snake near the camp, and I will probably post some other material in that area about my own reptile and amphibian adventures in the Barrens, which extended from 1957 through 1965.

I actually started out in Barrington (I was born in Trenton)--we lived on Hobart Drive until I was about 5 (I know this because I still have family mail from that address). We moved to 232 Mountwell Avenue in Haddonfield, on the corner of Overhill Road and Mountwell. Our house was about midway between Warwick Road and Chews Landing Road (I can't believe I remember this stuff--I last saw that house on November 23, 1965 and I only remember that because it was my birthday). I did grades 1-8 at the local parochial school (Christ the King), then went to public high school (Haddonfield Memorial HS). Most days after (high) school I walked to Mr. Evan's pet shop off King's Highway and checked out the recent arrivals, then went to the music store (Haddonfield Conservatory of Music) further down the highway. I knew a teacher there who started me down that road (that teacher and I renewed acquaintance about 10 years ago and we remain fast friends--the internet has its advantages).

My father died near the end of my freshman year and after a summer of unbearable upheaval we left NJ for SoCal when I was barely into my sophomore year. Talk about a culture shock..... ....but, my father died when he was "in between" life insurance policies, and life in southern New Jersey promised to be difficult for a widow with three children age 11-14, no family within 3000 miles, no college degree, and no employment history after 1948. She had no choice but to return to what remained of her family, and I had no choice but to become a Californian. That has some advantages, but I still think of myself as a transplanted citizen of New Jersey, and a student of the Pine Barrens.

Sean Barry

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Pine Barrens memories

Sean,
Thanks for your posts. I am always fascinated that we all lived in such different areas and grew up to love the pines. I grew up in North Camden and moved to Brooklawn. I still remember trips to the pines as a kid. Now as an adult I daydream at work about hiking and canoeing in the pines. My brother and I still fish, hike, camp, etc... in the pines. If you get back to SJ, the pines are still a great place!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sean,

Have you viewed the dam at Bamber in my photo gallery

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=238&pos=5

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=238&pos=6

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=238&pos=7

And at Mt. Misery there is a small building that we have discussed here before where "Danger.. Rattlesnakes" is written on the cement floor. I assume someone has explored there and found one and was warning everyone.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1840-1/IMG_4706.JPG

Guy