2013 Lines On The Pines

If your flattery is a little too sincere, you may end up with some legal problems. :D

You are so right, Boyd! In this case, however, since Plexus published Howard’s work and John Bryans is assisting Linda and Jim Stanton with their book, I don’t think they will encounter any copyright, trademark, or design infringement issues.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I agree. It's mainly the large, boldface "P' and "B" in "Pine Barrens" that calls the Boyd Field Guide to mind...

books.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Maybe the same font family, but the letters don't have the same proportions. The Field Guide letters look taller and narrower. Also note the spacing is different (sorry, I don't know those technical typsetting terms). On the Field Guide the letters are very close together; the "I" actually touches the "P" in "PINE". :)

Boyd:

Typeface is the term used to describe a family of type and font is the actual size of that type. So, with a Garamond 36-point, Garamond is the typeface and 36-point is the font. With the advent of digital typefaces, people began to use typeface and font interchangeably, but, historically, the words are not used in that way. That is why typeface cabinets had multiple drawers in the days of movable lead type. Each drawer held a font or single-size of the typeface.

I agree that the individual character width and the kerning (horizontal spacing between type characters) on the two covers are different, but there is no doubt that both are set using the same typeface.

Ever the typologist,
Jerseyman

Reactions: glowordz
In an exchange between Linda Stanton and John Bryans of Plexus about the new book versus the cover design for Howard’s book, John noted,

I guess they mean the font, because otherwise it's nothing like any of Howard's covers. Anyway, it's not an issue--you can take that to the bank.

So, everything’s good here!

Make sure you obtain you own copy of the Stantons’ new book at Lines!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Speaking of books --and not at all in the same ball park as Boyd's and Linda's--I plan to be at LOP with Book 3 in Tales of Friendship Bog: TRAPPED, and a novel, THE FOREVER STONE, set in the Pines. As always, anyone from this forum whose name or face I recognize gets a free book.

If you want a preview of the books, check out my website: www.gloriarepp.com. Don't miss the Pine Barrens section--many forum members have contributed photos.

Can't wait to see y'all!

~Glo

Reactions: turtle

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Speaking of books --and not at all in the same ball park as Boyd's and Linda's--I plan to be at LOP with Book 3 in Tales of Friendship Bog: TRAPPED, and a novel, THE FOREVER STONE, set in the Pines. As always, anyone from this forum whose name or face I recognize gets a free book.

If you want a preview of the books, check out my website: www.gloriarepp.com. Don't miss the Pine Barrens section--many forum members have contributed photos.

Can't wait to see y'all!

~Glo
Same here! I haven't logged on here in a bit. Hope to meet you guys next Sunday! Woohoo!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Reactions: Gibby

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Can't wait to see y'all!

~Glo

Hey Glo,,, Lynn will be able to make it with me this year and we hope to have a nice time of it and it will be a pleasure just to see you again.
Jason does like your books and Characters and is quite a fan of Pibbin & Leaper.
Even if an offer wasn't there I would gladly buy the books from you. Your work is always welcome in the house.
I cannot wait to see Linda! She rocks for getting this thing up & running.

I always especially love seeing Terri, and Bob (yes Robert, you buddy) and other fantastic NJPB folk.
Given that Scott & Dottie are a whopping 58 seconds from my house it will be nice to sit down to a dinner with them.
I hope Gabe has something good for our listening pleasure.
Most of all, any time I can spend a few moments with my friend Jerseyman, is time well spent!

Looking forward to seeing the new faces on the board as well, and to shaking the hand again of the man who made the dream a reality and made this site happen.

g.

There are birds, and sticks, and trees - Jason

Reactions: turtle and glowordz

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I always especially love seeing Terri, and Bob (yes Robert, you buddy) and other fantastic NJPB folk.

Kind of you to say George, but I'll have to pass on this one. My younger brother needs my help to move a ton of stuff I have been holding for him in "my" garage. This is one of those things that got pushed off for months, and now the stars are all aligned. I gotta do this.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Robert & Scott, you will be missed at the table. (Well Scott, it is not like we can't pass a friendly wave every other day as we pass each other on the road)

Bob... I know your woes of "holding" stuff for people. Strike while the iron is hot and get it out of your way.
I hope to see you soon in some venue or another.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I won't be able to make it this year as I am hosting a play date with 6 year olds while my wife is at a bridal shower near the shore. I hope everyone has a great time there, sorry to miss it.

Jeff