Is it ok to shoot dumpers?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Not toxic but off Bloody Ridge rd in Greenwood WMA in a small clearing is a pickup load of telephone books. My guess is they were paid to deliver, but just took the delivery $$ instead. They've been there for about a year that I know of. I guess a lot of people went without phone books. LOL.

Can you pinpoint that on a map for me? If it is in our area we can pick them up during our annual cleanup.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Can you pinpoint that on a map for me? If it is in our area we can pick them up during our annual cleanup.

Sorry for the delay Bob, just seen your request.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/index.php#lat=39.87529896981542&lng=-74.39632415771484&z=18&type=h&gpx=

In fact you may want to check this area clearings and the end of the dead end road as it appears to be a popular bonfire party area.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/index...=-74.39288556575775&z=18&type=h&gpx=undefined

Tgeorge

Scout
Apr 12, 2013
Wish I could have caught this ahole in the act. Someone dumped two pickup loads of roofing shingles right in the middle of the road off of Johnson rd fairly recently.

Also called state park police while out there on Friday afternoon. Found a pile of 5 or 6 dead, mutilated animals dumped with some garbage on the side of Johnson rd. I initially thought they were dogs which is why I called. After they got there and moved some stuff around you could see they were raccoons and deer parts by their paws thank god. I was getting really angry/sick at the thought of that while I was waiting for a ranger.

View attachment 3239

Only when they are in season. :)

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Just a quick "dumping" story I thought I would share....

A few years back a friend and I were out exploring and found a bunch of dresser drawers lying in the woods near Atco. We explored a little and were joking around because there were a lot of "unmentionable items" (not underwear) in the drawers. I was a little perturbed that someone would dump this out there when I noticed a stack of photographs. Some were old, some were more recent. There was a photo in an envelope with an address on the front. I composed a letter to that address and included the photos. I explained that I found them in the woods and that I could not imagine that someone would want to lose these photos (they were family photos with what looked like grandpatents and a lot of photos of children). I immeidately thought it was a robbery dump spot and I included my phone number and name and the GPS corrdinates where it was found in case the police needed to find the spot. A few days later, I received a phone call from a woman whose house was robbed. Apparently, the thieves took the drawers from the houses they robbed and dumped them in the woods after going through them. The woman told me that after her mothers house was robbed, she (the mother), being elderly had some kind of episode and wound up in the hospital. She was severely distraught and when the daughter went one day to get her moms mail, she found my letter and the photos. She actually told me that when she showed them to her mom that the improvement in her demeanor (and health, according to the daughter) was immediate. She was thrilled. She asked for my address so she could send me "something", but I refused. A few days later I received a thank you note in the mail with some cash, which I sent back.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Unfortuntely this happens all the time in the woods. Its a problem that some states have addressed by putting gates blocking access to dirt roads. Thankfully NJ has not done this in most areas and we can still drive through the woods. I went down a road I haven't been down before off 72 and was disgusted at what I found. Right off the blacktop was house hold trash and the further I went the worse it got with shingles and vinyl siding. I had a full truck of gear and did not have room for anything else or I would have picked up more of the trash. I wish these people get caught, have to clean it up one piece at a time, and then get a fine and some jail time.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wish I could have caught this ahole in the act. Someone dumped two pickup loads of roofing shingles right in the middle of the road off of Johnson rd fairly recently.

View attachment 3239

Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated people involved in the 12th annual 4WD Wharton Cleanup yesterday, this shingle dump spot has been thoroughly cleaned.

It took approximately 10 people 4-1/2 hours with several trucks to get it all but it is done.
Terry grabbed some photos which I believe she will post later.

Thanks everyone who jumped into this worthwhile task.

Reactions: SpineyPiney

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't know if a bunch of people in Browns Mills recently upgraded their TVs, but I must have seen 30+ discarded tube TVs thrown away in the woods. Does Burlington County charge to recycle TVs? If not, maybe we should see about doing a little cleanup of some of the spots that I saw because it'd be great to not have whatever chemicals are in these things going into the ground.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I don't know if a bunch of people in Browns Mills recently upgraded their TVs, but I must have seen 30+ discarded tube TVs thrown away in the woods. Does Burlington County charge to recycle TVs? If not, maybe we should see about doing a little cleanup of some of the spots that I saw because it'd be great to not have whatever chemicals are in these things going into the ground.
http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/pages/pages.aspx?cid=892

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
They can be dropped off at the Pemberton Twp. Public Works yard or there is a spot at the county landfill. This requires loading into your vehicle and driving to the location to drop it off, exactly the same way they take it into the woods.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Here we go! I can't believe I have the same view at the original photo. It was a pain in the butt and my finger tips are scraped up even with gloves....but the best part is that we found an address and it was passed on to the park police officer who originally generated a report of this mess. I will keep you all posted. Here is our progress:

IMG_6677 - Copy (768x1024).jpg
IMG_6688 - Copy (768x1024).jpg
IMG_6693 - Copy (1024x731).jpg
IMG_6698 - Copy (1024x768).jpg

Reactions: Teegate

JasonBreen

Sep 14, 2013
Toms River
The dumping I've been hearing a lot about are meth labs and such. People come from Camden, Philly, etc. and dump the drug equipment here.