Pine Barrens community, nonprofit at odds over use of land

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What a bunch of crap from that mayor. NJCF is a good land steward. I don't think Demarco let ATV's ride all over his land either, that is just a mayor who feels he should do anything he wants (after all...it's MY TOWN!). I have met a lot of hunters who hunt there, and they like it a lot, and do appreciate it. And yes, I do know one hunter who is long on the waiting list and is frustrated by that. But, would it have been any better under DeMarco?

Hell, that mayor is only 43 years old. Let's see, he was 18 in what, 1996? He talks like he thinks he's an old established piney who has rights like Buzby had. Ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: CurMUDgeon

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Woodland has lost quite a large tax ratable with the loss of DelMarco's property, I can understand their being ticked off. And just look what the ORVP has reverted too, back to a dump again. IMO similar stuff going at DelMarco's; the concrete block sections and the 'improvements'.

There is little to no oversight for the non-profits in this state. The most recent NJCF annual report states that, to date it is unaudited, with assets of $42.5 million and liabilities of $275K. :rolleyes:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What NJCF has done to that area is small peanuts compared to what the cranberry industry did. That Pole Branch tributary was totally destroyed in the making of those bogs. Below is a below and after.

Cbefore.PNG

Reactions: Menantico

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Woodland has lost quite a large tax ratable with the loss of DelMarco's property, I can understand their being ticked off.

I wondered about the impact of the new Lenape Farms WMA on my town a couple years ago since it's a big chunk of Estell Manor. There is a state program called "Payment in Lieu of Taxes" (PILOT) that reimburses towns for loss of taxes but it has been the subject of some controversy.

We discussed it here a bit: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...oodlands-and-wetlands.8980/page-3#post-108320

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hey, I have an idea. Why doesn't the good mayor and his buddy's grab their guns and ATV's and book on down to Haine's or the Lee Brother bogs. See if they are welcomed with open arms down there. It's only a few miles.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wondered about the impact of the new Lenape Farms WMA on my town a couple years ago since it's a big chunk of Estell Manor. There is a state program called "Payment in Lieu of Taxes" (PILOT) that reimburses towns for loss of taxes but it has been the subject of some controversy.

We discussed it here a bit: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/9-7-million-to-preserve-5-000-acres-of-woodlands-and-wetlands.8980/page-3#post-108320

PILOT's may be an endangered species here, have had funding problems for some time. Could not find if Woodland receives anything.

http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index....g_worrries_schedules_commission_meetings.html

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Hey, I have an idea. Why doesn't the good mayor and his buddy's grab their guns and ATV's and book on down to Haine's or the Lee Brother bogs. See if they are welcomed with open arms down there. It's only a few miles.
Well Bob as a matter of fact both land owners DO allow hunting and enduro riding on their property. All they ask is you ask them first and stay away from their active farming operations. Both these farmers don't lock their uplands from the public.
Your from Bamber Lake, right? When did you move there, post mid 60's?

Reactions: 46er

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well Bob as a matter of fact both land owners DO allow hunting and enduro riding on their property. All they ask is you ask them first and stay away from their active farming operations. Both these farmers don't lock their uplands from the public.
Your from Bamber Lake, right? When did you move there, post mid 60's?

Yes, post 60's in Bamber. Why do you ask? I don't think a sanctioned enduro event riding on a marked trail maybe once a year is the same as buzzing around anywhere you want on an ATV. I see that both those farmers post their lands, just as NJCF does.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Yes, post 60's in Bamber. Why do you ask? I don't think a sanctioned enduro event riding on a marked trail maybe once a year is the same as buzzing around anywhere you want on an ATV. I see that both those farmers post their lands, just as NJCF does.
Yes they post but allow the activities if asked.

I am just asking when you "entered" the area as for creditability. Being born and raised in the area I remember Bamber as it was in the '60's.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
But how would the farmers react to someone building a track on their property and using it every weekend or cutting a trail through a swamp so they could get their quad to their deerstand?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
But how would the farmers react to someone building a track on their property and using it every weekend or cutting a trail through a swamp so they could get their quad to their deerstand?
I can't speak for all, but the 2 farmers mentioned DO allow an enduro club access to their property year round and ask if anything is seen out of the ordinary to contact them. Hunters do build shacks in the trees and on the ground and some do use quads with no issue. Do people tresspass, of course but unless they're up to no good, it's not a priority for the farmers, actually dealing with the State is.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
What credibility are you speaking of?
Bob, Your on record as being anti Forest Service and anti cranberry farm. Both, cranberry farming in particular have existed long before you happened along. The Pine barrens seemed to survive just fine despite when they were really raped and pillaged in the 1800 & 1900's.
My comment is just to confirm your authority to dictate just what is and isn't good for the Pines.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I can't speak for all, but the 2 farmers mentioned DO allow an enduro club access to their property year round .

Well then, the good Mayor of Chatsworth should certainly join that Enduro Club that has access year round to the Lee Brothers and the Haines property. He should bring along any others that he knows that are upset with the NJCF access. After all, they own a hell of a lot of property close to Chatsworth. Probably thousands of acres just for Mr. Haines alone!