Land next to Atco Dragway

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, I guess I will start this off by asking what everyone knows about the cleared land next to Atco Dragway and how it is going to be used? It caused quote a commotion at the stakeholder meeting in Hammonton the other night. I believe it will be at least partially a fruit farm and there are concerns about the burned fuel from the dragway getting on it. Is that what is really going on?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Well, I guess I will start this off by asking what everyone knows about the cleared land next to Atco Dragway and how it is going to be used? It caused quote a commotion at the stakeholder meeting in Hammonton the other night. I believe it will be at least partially a fruit farm and there are concerns about the burned fuel from the dragway getting on it. Is that what is really going on?
As far as I have heard. There are supposed to be Bluderries planted there. There has been much cleared behind the track as well. I have also heard that the track is hold NHRA National events. To hold national there are guidelines that the track must meet. Like adequate parking, restrooms and seating to name a few. Of course, these are just rumors to me but I know in the '90's the NHRA pulled their sponcership because the stands weren't adequate.

P.S. At one of the Waterford meeting they did give approval for a cell phone tower around there as well, though it doesn't need 25 acres.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had hear the tower was going across the street but that may not be correct.

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
I believe the area closest to Jackson adjacent to the track is for additional parking based on second hand knowledge.

The land cleared for blueberries that was mentioned at the meeting the other night is news to me. Not sure how much unburned fuel is going to wind up in the fruit or land. High performance and fuel economy actually get along very well. Todays engines with fuel injection are so much more cleaner burning than carburetors of old lesser effecient engines. Not sure if airborne dragstrip exhaust would be worse than pesticides and fertilizers being sprayed directly on the ground. Hopefully there will be a breakthrough in hydrogen generation and storage so we make our own clean power on demand at home and on the move.

I understand the guy who was complaining lost his view and sound barrier but he did buy a house near a race track and other property whose use he may not have foreseen. I am curious as to how land use gets approved in these instances.