Man Goes Missing During Hunting Trip

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The metadata for the NJ MOD4 (tax parcel) database states that you may download the data and use the it to make maps, but cannot re-distribute the raw dataset (I have been looking into this recently). I think it's ok to take and post screenshots, but I ain't no lawyer, so caveat emptor. :p

As I mentioned in another unrelated thread, I have recently figured out how to associate the tax data with parcel shapefiles and create my own maps like the ones on the tax search site.

I have roughly thrown this together into Garmin's format so that it can be used on a handheld GPS (or on your computer with Garmin's free software), but need to do a bit more work on it. I will start a separate thread to discuss this soon, and make a sample map available for beta testing.

Reactions: WaretownMike

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Teegate
Point taken, I understand.

Manumuskin
I poked around with the map and finally located the area. Surprised the map isn't up to date with Haines owning so much or should I say PICC.
We're off subject now, but it was an educational detour.

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Might be a long shot but would it help if I took some low flying drone copter footage in the area he went missing?

Hmmm. That is a good thought, but there are some entanglements involved. He could be on the U.S. Government property, and doing it so close to their tower and wires would be dicey. And It would only be a strange and wild turn of luck that you'd see an outline in that tangled brush.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Hmmm. That is a good thought, but there are some entanglements involved. He could be on the U.S. Government property, and doing it so close to their tower and wires would be dicey. And It would only be a strange and wild turn of luck that you'd see an outline in that tangled brush.
Definitely a long shot but if he had some clothes with bright color in them we may get lucky. I do not want to fly over USG property although I could make a few runs nearby

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I don't think it would hurt and now would be the time before the under brush greens up.
Probably can swing over the FAA corner property across from his stand. Still thick woods but not as thick as the West and South side of the road. Taking a guess I'd say the FAA side has been pretty well searched since it is broken up with roads. I know after the initial search was called off, every Sunday for a few weeks a volunteer search and rescue team with dogs was out there. If he's out there at all I'd say he's deep in the swamp.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Anyone have a map of the area with any GPS coordinates so I have a rough idea where to go? Any no-fly recommendations would also be good

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone have a map of the area with any GPS coordinates so I have a rough idea where to go? Any no-fly recommendations would also be good

My post 35 has the link to where his truck was parked.

I will say again, they did a very good job searching there.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
My post 35 has the link to where his truck was parked.

I will say again, they did a very good job searching there.
I'm not suggesting to search again "on foot" and I doubt anyone here is 100ft tall so a unique low-altitude aerial perspective may help. When chances are slim you take slim chances. I know if it were my relative missing I would encourage outside of the box thinking, but that's just me.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is such a tragedy. And quite a mystery. Are there other examples where someone went missing in a known location and couldn't be found?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This is such a tragedy. And quite a mystery. Are there other examples where someone went missing in a known location and couldn't be found?

I posted a link, #95 in this thread, that shows missing persons. The numbers certainly surprised me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm not suggesting to search again "on foot" and I doubt anyone here is 100ft tall so a unique low-altitude aerial perspective may help. When chances are slim you take slim chances. I know if it were my relative missing I would encourage outside of the box thinking, but that's just me.

I did not mean to say you should not do it. In fact I would be interested in hearing how you make out. I was just saying that in that area they did a good job. So if you don't see anything maybe the next out of the box experience should be slightly further from that area where the searching most likely was not as intense. For example, lets say he actually make it to the road from Stevenson to the FAA tower (Beaver Dam Road) and felt he was somewhere else. He may have actually crossed the road heading the wrong way where nobody has searched.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

If you try, make sure the 177th is not practicing. :eek:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect he will just fly over the tree tops which should not be a problem.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I'm game. Go for it. Send me a message if you need help getting there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Bob and I searched again today for the missing hunter that this thread is about. We explored much deeper in the woods than we felt the previous searchers covered. It was not a place to be if you were not a woods person. Anyway, we did find these very deep in the woods.

IMG_2075.jpg

We were concerned at first we may have found something but I have to say we did find them on a survey cut which might mean it was one of the surveyors who owned them. In any event, we finished our searching and made our way out of the woods. As we were heading down the road near where the hunters stand had been at we heard voices ahead of us in the woods. Soon two men popped out of the woods and we approached them. Then a woman came out followed by another woman. They asked what we were doing and seeming to not know anything about the hunter at first. However, we noticed they were search and rescue and they told us they were practicing. After I showed them the photo above the man who had a Burlington County Search and Rescue badge told us he was related to the hunter and at the time the hunter went missing he was wearing shorts and our find could not have been from him. This man seemed to be a cop of some sort and carried a foot long knife. They were using it to make their way through the woods.

They then left and we followed them back to our vehicle. They had about 6 or 7 vehicles parked by our vehicle. So it is obvious that even after all this time they are still actively looking for him. I am not sure how deep they went today but all the evidence we saw does not seem like they traveled far. However, each and every search gives hope.

Guy

Reactions: John and manumuskin

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I would think the State Police would like to have those coveralls. Strange to find them that deep in the woods.

It is safe to assume that the man who told you that the missing man was wearing shorts when he disappeared wasn't there when it transpired. He is reporting what he was told by others. More importantly, the coveralls could have been worn by and disposed of in that remote location by someone other than the victim.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
All,

However, we noticed they were search and rescue and they told us they were practicing. After I showed them the photo above the man who had a Burlington County Search and Rescue badge told us he was related to the hunter and at the time the hunter went missing he was wearing shorts and our find could not have been from him. This man seemed to be a cop of some sort and carried a foot long knife.
Guy

Anyone look familiar in this link?

http://burlcok9sar.org/meet-the-dept/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would think the State Police would like to have those coveralls. Strange to find them that deep in the woods.

It is safe to assume that the man who told you that the missing man was wearing shorts when he disappeared wasn't there when it transpired. He is reporting what he was told by others. More importantly, the coveralls could have been worn by and disposed of in that remote location by someone other than the victim.

It was really deep but on a cut survey line. It could have been worn by those cutting the trees. The man we talked with was not the least bit interested in it. I showed him the photo in my camera.

There always is a chance that even though he had shorts on, he could have had overalls in his truck and put them on to walk in the woods. They then may be his.