Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not good! Maybe a heart attack. I always think about that while out there by myself in a remote spot. Nobody will ever find me.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This little bad boy goes everywhere I go on the ocean blue, on my boat or anyone else's boat. I keep it in my tackle bag but if the water starts looking a little hostile it is brought out into the console. It can be carried on land or water.
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/aqualink-plb/

5 year battery needed a recell this year at almost the cost of a new unit. Next time I am buying a new unit.
Registration through the Feds (when they are working) comes up every 2 years.
Here are the FAQ's on registering:
http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/faq 2.html#about_beacon_registration

The Spot locator is unbelieveably cheap at $99.00. My Aqualink has a little more functionality and is in the $370 range.

Now that I am pushing old guy status I may throw it in the pack for PBX forays.
Naah, I'd rather see the other guys drag me out. Assuming I was still alive.
:)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
STAFFORD TOWNSHIP — Authorities continue to investigate a case in which an elderly Mays Landing man went missing while hunting at a park in southern New Jersey last week.
State Police say it appears that 74-year-old Barnett Zeldin was hunting by himself at the Warren Grove Recreation Area, a 617-acre parcel of undeveloped wilderness in Burlington and Ocean counties.

Zeldin was reported missing Friday, and authorities believe he was in the Burlington County side of the park when he disappeared. But an exhaustive search of the area over the weekend produced few clues.
Sgt. Brian Polite said the area was not searched Tuesday but the investigation is ongoing. Police will search the area again based on the investigation, he said.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_64f28fe6-35e5-11e3-ab37-0019bb2963f4.html

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If they would be more specific people would search for him. But I suspect they don't want anyone damaging clues if there are any.

Reactions: Advocate

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
It seems that a hunter should be easy to find in that spot. The area is densely vegatated and signs of foot traffic should be noticeable. Hunters dont deviate far from established paths and habits I would think. Im very suprised he hast been found, im wondering if its because the overall lack of knowledge of the woods by the people searching. Maybe a group of us should offer to help a search party?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Can anyone pinpoint the general location on Ben's map?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It seems that a hunter should be easy to find in that spot. The area is densely vegatated and signs of foot traffic should be noticeable. Hunters dont deviate far from established paths and habits I would think. Im very suprised he hast been found, im wondering if its because the overall lack of knowledge of the woods by the people searching. Maybe a group of us should offer to help a search party?

Up north, near where we had a cabin, a guy that was going hiking was not found for over a month earlier this fall. Hikers eventually found his body about 100 feet from the trailhead where his car was parked, in an area already heavily searched from the air, on foot and with dogs. It was a suicide by hanging. This usually occurs at least once a year and most often in autumn. Dropping leaves are a problem for searchers this time of year. Many are not found. After not too long, the critters take over. Of those that are found after some time has past is usually by hunters.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I wish the authorities would release the location of the lost hunter's truck. Dragoncjo and I are quite familiar with the area of Bass River leading into Warren Grove and the bombing range. Was his truck found near the FAA tower area or Cutts bogs area?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
They should have a registry of people familiar with the pines, and when something like this happens, they would call us all or email us...and if it is a weekday, allow us to take off of work (like jury duty) and do the search. It has to increase the odds many times (the more people that are out there).

Reactions: Advocate and Gibby

Debbie Zeldin

Oct 19, 2013
My name is Debbie Zeldin and I'm the daughter in law of the missing NJ man, Barnett Zeldin. The family and a few friends have been searching the woods every day. You're right, we aren't really knowledgable of the area and/or qualified to lead a search. But, we refuse to stand by and do nothing when the NJSP aren't out there searching! We have been notified that the NJSP will be out there searching again on Sunday. Some of you who know the area and have mentioned wanting to help search. If you are serious about helping, please call me at (480) 570-0722. Barry's son Glenn and I are out from AZ and his daughter April and her husband Dave are here from Kentucky helping to search. Please help us!!