I've been working on the railroads

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
From the RR tracks at Carranza Rd to Pine Crest is 2.8 miles to the NE, towards Chatsworth.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Tried to re-scan and enhance the slide...

Attachments

• NJPB  train  wreck +.jpg
    NJPB train wreck +.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 493
  • NJ train wreck engine maybe 222 jpg.jpg
    NJ train wreck engine maybe 222 jpg.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 472

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
The railroad had to keep the right of way along the tracks clear of vegetation in order to prevent forest fires. Perhaps the trees are much larger past the view of the picture. However, trees were generally smaller from frequent fires. I saw a picture from the 1930s in Medford along Stokes Road near 5 points where a man was taller then the forest.

Reactions: Teegate

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was thinking the same thing about the right of way, but I'm sure the average age of the pines is much older now then it was years ago.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That might be the derailment everyone went to when I was in high school. Would be the early 70s.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
She said thats my wife on her lap and puts it mid/late 60's. Recalls it near Chatsworth, said they rode out from Atco and it took forever to get there. Have a bunch I can post if anyones interested...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I started high school in 1971 so it may have been the same place. I never went there and did not know of Chatsworth until 1973. I am interested in them if you want to post.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That is quite a grade up to the tracks for the pine barrens so it could be a good clue. I keep coming back to Pine Crest but I have to visit the site to be sure.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a strong feeling that you can eliminate the sand car derailment by Bullock in the 60's. There were more cars toppled then, and unless my eyes are deceiving me, there is a curve in the track in one of those photos. That is a straight run near Bullock. Too, the trees seem more deciduous in those photos, whereas by Woodmansie they are almost strictly pine along that run.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
The one pic with all the sugar sand in the foreground almost looks like where the tracks cross Carranza Rd, if you were looking toward High Crossing, not sure if there was a derail there and don't recall a curve in the track there?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The area near Albertson Brook popped into my head when I saw the curve, but I don't think the elevation is correct.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The man in the checkered shirt with his hands in his pockets; he looks familiar, and like he comes from genuine piney stock.

I can't zoom in on these. Be good to have that option.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
The man in the checkered shirt with his hands in his pockets; he looks familiar, and like he comes from genuine piney stock.

I can't zoom in on these. Be good to have that option.
I saved them to my desktop and used photoviewer to zoom, they are very clear for me on the zoom

This wreck occurred on October 17, 1966 at 1:15 a.m. at the siding for Betz Laboratories, Inc., now Pro Tech Marine, between Savoy Boulevard and Lebanon Road, northeast of Chatsworth village. On October 16, 1966, five juveniles, ranging in age from 11 to 15, were “fooling around” and decided to switch the track on the CNJ mainline to align with the 150-foot-long siding leading into the Betz facility. When the boys couldn't open the lock, they used a spike and a piece of tie to pry the lock open. After turning the switch, the boys took off. When freight train JS-1, operating from Bridgeton to Jersey City, came along early the next morning running at 40 m.p.h., the train entered the siding and the speed and sharp curve caused the two diesel locomotives and 10 cars of the 23-car train to derail just 80 feet from the new Betz building. The line entering the Betz plant was on a slight downgrade. Three train crewmen received injuries from the wreck and required hospitalization. The estimated damage caused by the wreck exceeded $1 million and it took over a week to clear the mainline and siding.

Best regards,
Jerseyman