Health Insurance Rates

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Just got my letter from AmeriHealth-NJ informing me that my current plan that cost me $590 per month will now cost $749, with a higher deductable and maximum out of pocket limit.

My rates have always increased each year, but never like this. So depressing and frustrating.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
My company is with Aetna, we have a tiered choice, I have to choose the top tier as a family member under my coverage is type 1 diabetic, my monthly cost is $1135.44 and increases about every other year or so and if that's not enough, there are usually coverage changes throughout the year on supplies, etc.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just got my letter from AmeriHealth-NJ informing me that my current plan that cost me $590 per month will now cost $749, with a higher deductable and maximum out of pocket limit.

My rates have always increased each year, but never like this. So depressing and frustrating.

A relevant public servant did announce that insurance subsidies would end. This person was unhappy with the $10B per year program that ensures lower wage people get some kind of health insurance. This cut affects all insurance companies, so they try to get their money from somewhere (you). On the flip side, it should make us all happy that the defense budget was increased by $54B.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township

I have the same company. Was forced to go to them after UHC stopped selling the plan I had for 6 years. My current plan is $300 more than yours,(just for me) deductibles are crazy, am very limited in network options.I'm just trying to hang in there until I'm 66..Another problem is the self insured have different protections and rates under the law. I was fearful the day the government declared they were going to HELP. With good reason it appears.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
These are both Silver plans. The absolute cheapest offering carries a premium of $587 per month, but is Bronze. It too has a higher deductable and out if pocket maximum than my current plan.

From what I see, the only offerings in NJ are several plans from AmeriHealth and a few plans from Horizon.

If I settle on this cheapest plan, it appears most of my providers and facilities go to a Tier-2 status, which equals the higher costs out of my pocket.

Reactions: h2ochild

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am now a proponent of single payer healthcare, with some caveats. I think everyone should pay in to a system that covers the essentials, but leaves things out like elective surgery, abortions, radically new unproven treatments, etc, etc. I also feel people should be able to buy into additional insurance on the market if they want to outside the minimum. It makes little sense to have this pool of over 300 million people and not use it to ensure at least basic healthcare at a reasonable price for all.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I take it these are thru the ACA?

No, all outside of that, going directly into the insurance sites and using the eHealthinsurance website to search for all available plans in NJ.

In the past, I've never qualified for a subsidy, so it didn't make sense to go thru the Healthcare.gov site. Due to certain circumstances, I may qualify this year, but I'm still researching.

Reactions: h2ochild

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm just trying to hang in there until I'm 66..Another problem is the self insured have different protections and rates under the law. I was fearful the day the government declared they were going to HELP. With good reason it appears.

Don't set your hopes too high. Many medicare with a medigap plan rates are equal or higher than what I see posted here. The advantage plans appear less expensive, but are a whole different :worms:....

Last edited:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I work for a small company. The cheapest family plan for me is $1200 a month. The kicker is that it it also has a deductible of $2500. So it doesn’t cover anything until I spend more. Then it only covers 80%. Luckily my wife is eligible for state benifits at her new job with better coverage at $200 a month.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The cheapest family plan for me is $1200 a month. The kicker is that it it also has a deductible of $2500. So it doesn’t cover anything until I spend more.

Yep it's a kicker. and you know where. When you add it all up your paying $16,900 for the plan and deductible in total for the year and may not hit the deductible, so you are effectively self-insured. But Congress keeps their old plan and the taxpayer pays for that. Gotta love guvmint :rolleyes:

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I am now a proponent of single payer healthcare, with some caveats. I think everyone should pay in to a system that covers the essentials, but leaves things out like elective surgery, abortions, radically new unproven treatments, etc, etc. I also feel people should be able to buy into additional insurance on the market if they want to outside the minimum. It makes little sense to have this pool of over 300 million people and not use it to ensure at least basic healthcare at a reasonable price for all.

Some plans (for high rollers) cover fertility treatments. Really! No. Just no. I was astounded when I read that.

My son had no insurance for 9 years. He earned about 5 dollars too much annually to qualify for Medicaid. He could afford to go to urgent care every couple of years when he got really sick.

He told me that he once drove himself to the hospital because he thought he might die. Probably a little drama there. He didn't go in because he thought he couldn't afford it. He sat on the sidewalk with his back against the wall and passed out. He figured someone would find him and make the decision for him. Didn't happen. Fifteen feet from the ER door and no one noticed or cared.

Rant over, but that is the state of healthcare today.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yep it's a kicker. and you know where. When you add it all up your paying $16,900 for the plan and deductible in total for the year and may not hit the deductible, so you are effectively self-insured. But Congress keeps their old plan and the taxpayer pays for that. Gotta love guvmint :rolleyes:
Neither Democrat or Republican have an answer so far. Mark my words, health care is the next bubble that’s going to pop.

Reactions: 46er

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I worked in the private sector for 40 years in both small and fortune 100 businesses until I moved to work in the healthcare industry. I then started working for a large, private practice that was later bought out by a large regional hospital and I can tell you that the inefficiency and outright waste In health care is more than I could ever describe. If private companies tried to in operate in this manner they would fail to compete and be out of business in no time. Until the charges demanded in healthcare are first controlled, Insurance for it will never be fixed.

Reactions: smoke_jumper
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I agree. So much waste and excessive spending. I convinced myself not to worry about it today, as I'll get a fresh start in picking up my research on Monday morning.

I want to wrap this up and have my replacement plan selected within the next week or two.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
If only health care didn't cost so much in the first place. Look and see what your insurance company is paying your pharmacy for your scripts. Then compare what you could be paying for them if you lived in a different country. Dana had a 2hr ER visit for a high fever where they just have her strong Tylenol and sat her in the corner. The bill came - $8000.

Insurance costs are going up because the medical costs are out of control.