North Brigantine Natural Area

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Andy Grossman of Riptide Bait and Tackle at the point, North End of Brigantine. He says he has friends, artists and photographers who have historically, over decades, had access to the North End.

Well, things change. There is a new guy in the states big seat that leans green. I expect we will be seeing a lot more changes down the trail :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
The meeting was apparently well attended (300 people?) and there were 'spirited' discussions. (I wasn't there, but a local radio station talked about little else this morning.)

Some coverage:

Press of Atlantic City: "Hundreds cram meeting on North Brigantine Beach driving"
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_2f3b8025-bfd7-5d67-b5ae-1daa1d6699b3.html

The Inquirer: "N.J. limited public access to Brigantine's North End. Now the city is pushing back"
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/shore/brigantine-north-end-beach-access-20180228.html

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Well, things change.

FWIW, I just got off the phone with Robin Madden of the DEP. She indicated the DEP asked Brigantine to hold a meeting last July, and they were, to paraphrase, stonewalled. However, after the meeting this week, and hearing all sides, she said that the DEP is"absolutely" going to find a way to allow "low impact" users, such as photographers, artists, and disabled people to access the North End point.

Specifically, to drive onto the beach, all the way to the North Point, in a 4x4. She said the solution may be a day pass, and I interjected that does me no good at all since my decision to go or not, is contingent on weather and I need the same access as the Mobile Sport Fishing license provides. Ongoing access, not one day. She indicated that some sort of 4x4 non "Mobile Sport Fishing" permit will be implemented this season.

I asked her permission to share this and she said that "spreading good will towards the DEP" would be great. A nice lady, I hope it happens.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Ms. Madden is one of 2 assistant's to the assistant commissioner of Natural & Historic Resources. My 2 sons attended the meeting. The DEP indicated they will consider what you mentioned with emphasis being placed on providing drive-on access for the disabled. The fishermen in the audience want things as they are, and the party goer's wanted all access. This won't be over till the proverbial 'fat' lady sings. Remember how the representatives of the DEP handled the Wharton roads issue.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
The number of Mobile Sportfishing Permit requests jumped since the meeting. People were driving out to Bass River SF today, in that weather, just for a permit. Maybe people thought they would run out, but with 500 to sell and currently around 160 sold I don't see that happening.

Apparently there is still an open question about whether you can even drive to the NBNA with only the DEP permit, and not also need a Brigantine 4WD permit. Getting to NBNA requires crossing a short bit of city beach. I wonder if the city will park some beach patrol people at the entrance and stop people with only the DEP permit... that could get ugly.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The whole thing begs some clarification. There are regs for the state park and forest Natural Areas of which North Brigantine is one. There are allowances for recreation, but driving is not listed. Given what a Natural Area is, I am surprised they ever allowed beach driving there, or was that the town of Brigantines decision. No one seems to know the answer. Maybe they should reconsider allowing it as it will open all the others to it once the example is set. More drama.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/natural/natareas.html