Tuesday with Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
The idea being to trounce and bounce around the Franklin Parker Preserve, but that was reserved for hunters. So what do friends do? Friendship!

IMG_s4960.jpg

IMG_s4963.jpg

IMG_s4968.jpg

IMG_s4976.jpg

(if you're ever with Alfie, never, ever mention his bald spot!)

IMG_s4984.jpg

Soph and Spark had all the energy. Shane Branch and Friendship bridge in background.

IMG_s4994.jpg

IMG_s4996.jpg

crossing a beaver dam and heading to the wild and crazy but pretty area.

IMG_s5005.jpg

IMG_s5008.jpg

Sophie has trained in gymnastics.

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_s5017.jpg

Sparky looking for poisonous mushrooms.

IMG_s5022.jpg

shared congrats for having made it through the hard part!

IMG_s5028.jpg

IMG_s5038.jpg

IMG_s5041.jpg

the long (and easier, believe it or not) way home.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Gentlemen, I see your two Labs are drawn to sticks just as much as they are drawn to water. Who would have imagined anything different?

Whipp, this set of pictures has a sense of calmness captured in them. It may be because of the glassy water in the images.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Bill. It looks like an interesting day in a great place.

BTW, I noticed this morning that on the bridge at Friendship there is a lost dog sign with what looks to be a chocolate lab in the photo. It says they were lost in a house fire. I assume they ran off??

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My lab (the one without the curly tail) got hot on a mile long bushwack back to the car today and as we crossed a small swamp she found a water hole and laid down in it with just her head sticking out of the water.These dogs are hard.They run into things with their heads that would kill me and they bounce off and keep going.Woods beasts.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
My lab (the one without the curly tail) got hot on a mile long bushwack back to the car today and as we crossed a small swamp she found a water hole and laid down in it with just her head sticking out of the water.These dogs are hard.They run into things with their heads that would kill me and they bounce off and keep going.Woods beasts.
The Woods Beasts are looking Great!

Lynn Cremona

Feb 9, 2016
Neptune
Union Lake WMA/Maurice River Bluffs Nature Preserve

Alfie and I stayed local this week, checking out some areas near his home in Millville/Laurel Lake. We pretty much drove around Union Lake Wildlife Management Area before joining up with Al's brother, Bill, and walking for a few hours around the bluffs on the Maurice River. Enjoy the photos.

Beautiful Photos!
Lynn

abIMG_1143.jpg

acIMG_1149.jpg

adIMG_1151.jpg

white pine grove
aeIMG_1151.jpg

ah-4.jpg

aiIMG_1162.jpg

ajIMG_1163.jpg

walking the bluff trails
aaIMG_1319.jpg

baIMG_1170.jpg

bbIMG_1172.jpg

bcIMG_1247.jpg

beIMG_1255.jpg

bfIMG_1255.jpg

bgIMG_1255.jpg

bhIMG_1275.jpg

bi-2.jpg

bjIMG_1279.jpg

Bill (nearly as handsome as his brother)
bkIMG_1288.jpg

blIMG1289.jpg

bmIMG_1291.jpg

bnIMG_1291.jpg

boIMG_1294.jpg

bpIMG_1296.jpg

old grain silo (so sez the historian we had along)
bqIMG_1281.jpg

bsIMG_1280.jpg

btIMG_1284.jpg

spring
bvIMG_1302.jpg

a most impressive mansion
caIMG_1236.jpg

cbIMG_1191.jpg

check out the chimney!
ccIMG_1237.jpg

inside
cdIMG_1196.jpg

ceIMG_1205.jpg

cfIMG_1205.jpg

cgIMG_1235.jpg

inside spin
chIMG_1193s.jpg

the back yard
daIMG_1214.jpg

dbIMG_1209.jpg

dcIMG_1213.jpg

dd-2.jpg

deIMG_1217.jpg

dfIMG_1222.jpg

dgIMG_1216.jpg

final leg
diIMG_1305.jpg

djIMG_1308.jpg

zIMG_1159.jpg

T

Toothy Critter

Sometimes i think I'd love to be a Woods Beast.Running through the woods at 30 mph,crashing through ice to wallow in the water and actually enjoying it.Feeling no pain as briars rake me and i bounce head first off trees,and then I saw my Woods beast eat a beaver turd and I decided to stay a man.

:) Now that's funny right there...I don't care who ya are...

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob don't tell people about that Beaver Turd!

Well, that is the one thing I didn't see. I only saw the real Al. I'll never forget the one trip we had where I saw a black racer take off away from me and you were nearby. When I yelled snake!, you took off after it like a bat outta hell, mowing down waist high dangle-berry bushes and busting up branches like they were straw.

Sometimes i think I'd love to be a Woods Beast.Running through the woods at 30 mph,crashing through ice to wallow in the water and actually enjoying it.Feeling no pain as briars rake me and i bounce head first off trees,and then I saw my Woods beast eat a beaver turd and I decided to stay a man.

Usually they roll in it, then run joyfully back. I have learned to beware when the dog suddenly drops and rolls with all 4 feet waving. Several dogs past, the big chessie/lab mix romped back to me with something hanging from her prong collar; a very dead, very ripe crow. Made her day!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Well, that is the one thing I didn't see. I only saw the real Al. I'll never forget the one trip we had where I saw a black racer take off away from me and you were nearby. When I yelled snake!, you took off after it like a bat outta hell, mowing down waist high dangle-berry bushes and busting up branches like they were straw.
Did i catch the snake? I"m not as fast as I used to be

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I must tell a story and yes it's true. back in the late 80's in November I took my buddy Bobby and my dog Lightning to the barrens. You could access the road by vehicle next to pleasant Mills church back then and we drove back to the parking area on the left and then headed east across the Sleeper Creek to the Mullica and then headed upstream till we hit the first bluff/beach.At this point my Buddy Bob says hey Al if your the man I think you are you'll join me in a swim across the creek.I knew the creek was only about belly deep there and could be walked across but it was about 40 degrees and he was challenging my manhood so this meant complete submersion in the icy black water.back then we could never say no to a dare or we would forever be demasculated in the eyes of the other.Now we are old and wise and just laugh at each others dares but we do continue to make them anyway but know the pain would be too great and nothing heals anymore.Well before we took the dip Bob announced loudly his need to defecate so he headed for the treeline while I stripped to my skivvies.His deed done he came back and we walked down to the creek and plunged in head first.Three or four strokes brought me to the other side.We sat there fighting off the urge to shiver which would have been an act of overt effeminacy.We then swam back across and as we were redressing I heard Bob say whats Lightning rolling in over there.We both looked at each other and said at the same time "Oh S#&T"! And yes it was indeed.We immediately got into an argument as to who was cleaning the dog off.Bobs argument was it was my dog,Mine was it was his S#&t.He said he didn't want it anyway and thats why He left it there.Well neither one would give in so while I drove an hour home He had to reach back and hold the dog by the collar the whole way home to keep him from climbing upfront with us.Needles to say all windows were open in 40 degree weather all the way home. Whenever i pass that beach nowadays I always relate that story to whoever was with me.This is one reason I choose not to be a dog but to stay a man.If i want to disguise my scent I"ll put on some deodorant.

Last edited: