Tuesday with Alfie

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Soph is one purty dawg but she has the disconcerting habit of rolling in human poo.I let her in the babysitting care of Whip while i was panoing a hundred yards away and he let his attention slip to turn around and catch her rolling in a pile of human excreta beside the trail.Luckily she loves the water and after an hour of repeated dips she was feces free.She also likes our cats turds which she steals from the litter,we call em "Scooby Snacks".

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
The beat goes on (continued from post #337) as the three stooges (two human) continue their journey through Franklin Parker Preserve, take an emergency medical visit, then head on over to the prettiest spot on the Skit (and possibly in all of Wharton (tho no photograph could ever reveal this)) where the Panorama Kid properly panoramas again.

IMG_9163.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg

IMG_9169-1.jpg

Panorama in process

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

It's never easy being the Panorama Kid!
IMG_9177.jpg

Off for Parker Preserve's Emergency Room!
IMG_9178.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

Service is slow.
IMG_9185.jpg

Skit Branch
IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9207-1.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9221.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

All done.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, they are wonderful places. Thanks again for reminding me.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
FPPreserve looks much more attractive than when I last saw it. Thanks for the beautiful update. Sophie looks like a fun dog -- and I love the way you caught her dashing thru young pines with that deep green water in the background.

The Skit! Such a great spot -- and seems as nice as ever. The colors & composition of the last three photos make them memorable.

My thanks to all three of you!

Glo

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
You've really got me thinking about this Al. You're right, there are no roads to it. How about this....if you remember, Lakehurst NAS in the 1920's thru 1950's was an important development and test area for Lighter than air. They did some strange things back then...trying different things out. I wonder if that was some sort of crazy section to a dirigible gondola. They did need an engine and stuff to power them, so that would explain the gas tank. Or maybe even it had something to do with what they were doing with the bombing range, just over 2 miles from there. Something experimental attached to a dirigible.
The Forest Service did test a dirigible made for heavy lifting, meant for lifting timber and the like way out where there are no roads, but that was in the 1980s and to the best of my knowledge the craft never actually left the Lakehurst base. I'm sure folks here are familiar with it. It was called the Helistat. It crashed, the most recent lighter-than-air disaster at Lakehurst. Here is video of the crash.

The Forest Service did test a dirigible made for heavy lifting, meant for lifting timber and the like way out where there are no roads, but that was in the 1980s and to the best of my knowledge the craft never actually left the Lakehurst base. I'm sure folks here are familiar with it. It was called the Helistat. It crashed, the most recent lighter-than-air disaster at Lakehurst. Here is video of the crash.

ericsanjuan:

Welcome to the forums! I’m sure you will find much to like here.

I hope you don’t mind a gentle correction, but the terms dirigible and blimp are not interchangeable. A dirigible is a rigid airship, meaning it has a complete set of frames, into which are hung large gasbags. A blimp, on the other hand, is one large envelope or gasbag with no internal framing. The Helistat, a Piasecki invention, employed a U.S. Navy blimp envelope under which Piasecki attached a framework with four truncated helicopter control cabs, motors, and rotors on the extremities of the framework.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
Hey Jerseyman,

No worries on the correction, sharing accurate information is a good thing. I'm familiar with the distinction between rigid airships and blimps. My error was one of memory; I recalled the Helistat being a dirigible, with the infamous framework being an extension of that internal structure. Poor recollection on my part, or rather, inaccurate recollection. Thanks for helping clarify!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
do you speak of that dead sprig sticking up at waters edge?That was right next to a cranberry shack.I can send you exact coords if your interested.

Al, the photos must have moved around a bit. Try the 5th photo down on the previous page in Bill's set that begin with Sophie in the vehicle. It kind of looks like magnolia or Mt. Laurel, but still it looks out of place.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was looking at the pic before this one.I'd say sweetbay magnolia.I've never seen laurel growing right in the water like that.I've seen it growing in occasionally flooded areas but that looks like it's permanently wet.I'd say magnolia.I zoom in but lose clarity.Down here I'd say it might be bayberrybut It can't give it the sniff test on the screen:)maybe Bill remembers where he shot it and we can go back and look.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
maybe Bill remembers where he shot it and we can go back and look.

I took the photo looking down into the ditch/canal off to the right located back near the property line (close to where Sophie did the doo-doo voodoo).

Bob's keen attention to detail amazes me.

Been meaning to post some recent Tuesday-trip pine-barrens photos. Tons, narrowed down to a few.

sIMG_1163s.jpg

Hawkin Lowland Road

The next three photos were taken heading north off of Rockwood Rd. toward the Great Swamp. (Not the road that heads to the Swamp Monster, even though a photo of the Monster is posted below.)

sIMG_1279.jpg

sIMG_1273.jpg

sIMG_1274.jpg

The infamous Swamp Monster!
sIMG_1259.jpg

Penn Swamp
IMG_1241s.jpg

Hawkin Lowland Road
sIMG_1216.jpg

Tulpehocken Tributary (Alfie named this trib, but I can't begin to say the name, let alone spell it.)
sIMG_1211.jpg

Red bog between Springer Creek and Batsto River
sIMG_1394.jpg

sIMG_1397.jpg

Batsto River above Hampton Furnace
IMG_1127.jpg

Heather and lichen just off Batsto River.
sIMG_1426.jpg

sIMG_1431.jpg

sIMG_1433.jpg

All hail the former Panorama Kid!
sIMG_1393.jpg

sIMG_1447s.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That first shot is very cool Bill, kind of ghostly, ethereal. I'll bet some black/white or gray tones throughout would make it real interesting.

Is the heather an island off the Batsto just upstream from Lower Forge?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The first three look like the road near the Tulp just east of Tuckerton Road. The problem with that choice is I think Gloria's pants would be much wetter if I was correct.

Guy