Then & Now Photos

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm surprised the LIDAR doesn't show this as there is quite a depression, but then it is also heavily over grown

Not sure of the exact spot you're talking about. But like I said.... the NJPB LIDAR map sucks. :p I suggest using my new HD map

boydsmaps.com/lidar-in-the-pines-hd/

The available 1-meter (HD) LIDAR ends at the Ocean County line unfortunately so if that area is East of the line then it will only be 3-meter LIDAR, but that is generally better on my new map than the NJPB map.

The USGS data used for the map is "bare-earth LIDAR" meaning that it is not supposed to show foliage.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I really like having the lidar on Ben's site since you can jump back and forth to 7 other maps/aerials with ease. I don't care about road names anyway.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I really like having the lidar on Ben's site since you can jump back and forth to 7 other maps/aerials with ease.

Yes, I know, you would never forgive me if it was taken away. :D

You can jump back and forth between my 10 different maps in Mobile Atlas Creator if you download everything from boydsmaps.com. And they are all instantly accessed with no internet connection required since they're installed on your computer. If that isn't enough, install the NJGIN Map Access package and you will have 18 additional maps available from their servers (these include all the NJ aerials used in NJPB maps plus several more). https://boydsmaps.com/njgin-map-access/

There are also aerials and topo maps from the USGS that are built into the Mobile Atlas Creator software. But seriously, I "get" why some people find the old LIDAR maps useful. But they're really pretty bad compared to my recent work. And I have made the new maps available for free using open source software that runs on Windows, Macs and Linux.

If anyone is interested in maps and hasn't installed any of these yet.... now's the time to make it your New Year's resolution. :)

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Where is that club?????? This one??

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.892519761800855&lng=-74.42390162151338&z=18&type=hybrid&gpx=

That is the North Trenton Sportsman Club if it is the one you are referring to.
No, the other end of Pasadena Webbs Mill rd.
https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.884164089711504&lng=-74.38689250152589&z=16&type=lidar&gpx=

I seen the name once, probably on the tax map. I nicknamed that club the "Pumpkin gunclub" because one year there was a tractor trailer load of pumpkins in a pile probably 6+' high.

edit: The Delaware Rod & Gun club. Looked at tax map and yes their gate is on public property. Tried to post link but for some reason it didn't copy. Maybe because it is locked?

If you look closely at the LIDAR [sorry Boyd] you can faintly see a line continuing from the sharp bend leading into the gunclub. You can only see short evidence after crossing a Webbs Mill tributary and connecting at the sharp bend where Bloody Ridge rd connects with Webbs Mill rd. It is this stretch that is pretty much impassable in the middle and actually has quite deep shoulders.

Boyd, your maps are great and we all are in your debt for your work. The NJPB maps is just so convenient. Is it possible for Ben to update or add your new LIDAR to the website?

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Is it possible for Ben to update or add your new LIDAR to the website?

Not going to happen, for a number of reasons. Ben and I discussed putting a lot of maps online here at NJPB and he was really interested.... until I told him how much disk space it would require. :D Even one of my new maps would be well beyond the storage available on the NJPB server. The old LIDAR map covers a small area and is relatively low resolution, so it only needed a few hundred MB which he was able to handle.

But beyond that, I am not interested in creating any more content for use with Google's software (NJPB maps uses the Google API). There are open source alternatives, such as OpenLayers, that give you the same kind of browsing interface, and we discussed this in another thread. But you guys are all hooked on Google's software and didn't like the idea of losing the Google aerials and street maps. And that's fine, but I'm just not interested in making more maps like that.

Another thought - if you are someone who likes maps - don't assume that what you can access online today will still be available tomorrow. Just look at all the broken TerraServer and TopoZone links in old threads here. And those old TerraServer black and white 1-meter aerials were actually very nice for some purposes. I have not been able to find those anywhere today. And I also wouldn't assume that the wealth of free government data (federal, state and local) will always be like that. I'm surprised they haven't started charging for access already. And, of course, there's also this from usgs.gov....

"Due to a lapse in appropriations, the majority of USGS websites may not be up to date and may not reflect current conditions. Websites displaying real-time data, such as Earthquake and Water and information needed for public health and safety will be updated with limited support. Additionally, USGS will not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted."

So if you find a map you like, DOWNLOAD IT while you still can. That is a primary reason I'm concentrating on downloadable maps, they are more like physical paper maps in that they remain in your own library so you'll still have them tomorrow. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Using your example, if you download all 10 maps of the pines from https://boydsmaps.com you will be able to instantly flip through all of these with Mobile Atlas Creator. And even better, you can export the maps to use in about two dozen apps on Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS and Linux plus Garmin and Magellan handheld GPS units.

Update: boydsmaps no longer supports Mobile Atlas Creator and doesn't offer any downloadable maps. But you can access dozens of maps of the Pines online with your computer or use your phone like a GPS - no download needed.

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.887948/-74.379523/lidar2021hd/0.00/0.00
______________________________________________________________________________________

LIDAR in the Pines HD
01-lphd.jpg

LIDAR in the Pines Classic
02-lp.jpg

LIDAR in the Pines 2017
03-lp17.jpg

JUST LIDAR
04-jl.jpg

Boyd's Map of the Pines HD
05-hd.jpg

Parcels in the Pines
06-pp.jpg

1999 in the Pines
07-1999.jpg

1949 in the Pines
08-1949.jpg

1899 in the Pines
09-1899.jpg

New Jersey 2012 Orthophotography
10-2012.jpg

The NJGIN package gives you access to many more, including higher resolution aerials. And soon I will be releasing similar packages for accessing Pennsylvania and New York State imagery online in Mobile Atlas Creator.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lost Town Hunter and the two of us pulled into the Thirteen Rod & Gun Club property today and were surprised that the state had demolished the building. We have not been there in a while and it looks like the place has been gone at least all summer. As with anything the state acquires they demolish it. Not saying they don't have good reason though. The legal risks are high.

Anyway, if you have not visited the location this photo pretty much sums up what you will never see.

Thirteen%20Rod%20%26%20Gun%20Club.jpg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks, any more examples, LOL, just kidding. Yes your new LIDAR is great along with your other maps do show what I consider Webbs Mill rd connecting to Bloody Ridge rd then continuing as Webbs Mill rd, not Webbs Mill Pasadena rd. Bloody Ridge is a cool name and it has to be called something so why not?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was missing a few of the maps so I just downloaded them. I still can't get 2.1.0 version of Mobile Access Creator to work. The 2.0.1 works fine.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Here is Friendship. The top photo is not mine but I remember that scene.

Friendship.jpg

Harrisville

8-75_4-16-2005.jpg

Washington

1979_2006%20%28Washington%29.jpg

Batsto

1975_2006%20%28Batsto%29.jpg

Swamp Monster

03142004_09112010.jpg

This is a cedar swamp above Martha.

aao.jpg

The Friendship photo is mine. I took a lot of photos around the Barrens that day, but unfortunately only that one of the still partially inhabited town of Friendship.

Reactions: h2ochild

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had a computer crash and lost a couple weeks of work. Because of this thread I was able to retreive my Then & Now photos so I did not have to make them over. I fortunately had the actual recent photos in my camera and phone. I am glad I posted them.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Here are some blowups of the Friendship photo that I took on September 22, 1971...

Attachments

• blowup friendship NJPB stuff on ground right side.jpg
    blowup friendship NJPB stuff on ground right side.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Friendship, NJ, NJPB, truck.jpg
    Friendship, NJ, NJPB, truck.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 394
  • NJPB Friendship truck writing.jpg
    NJPB Friendship truck writing.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 313
  • junked car friendship.jpg
    junked car friendship.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Another one of Friendship I just scanned, taken 25 years later than the one above when there were still people and animals living there. 24 July 1996. Is that foundation still visible?

Attachments

• 24Jul1996 Site of Friendship, NJ Pine Barrens.jpg
    24Jul1996 Site of Friendship, NJ Pine Barrens.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
Last edited: