One of the best send-off's

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That was amusing, but dying at the age of 63 isn't funny. Personally, I couldn't care less what my obituary says, because I'll be dead.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Personally, I couldn't care less what my obituary says, because I'll be dead.

Yep, all those accolades after a person kicks that bucket. Tis a shame they never hear them. And why is there always a party of sorts right after the funeral? Make a person wonder :confused:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My step Dad is Irish,American Irish but apparently still hold some Irish traditions.At every family funeral they hold a wake and party around the corpse.I haven';t been to one but Mom has told me about it.Any excuse to drink and that family is happy.My step dad isn't a big drinker but the rest of the family are.

My step Dad is Irish,American Irish but apparently still hold some Irish traditions.At every family funeral they hold a wake and party around the corpse.I haven';t been to one but Mom has told me about it.Any excuse to drink and that family is happy.My step dad isn't a big drinker but the rest of the family are.

Why spend big money on a funeral/casket etc? My family favors cremation; we scattered Dad's ashes in Hereford Inlet.
I want any undesignated money I might leave behind used to throw a party for my friends where they tell stories about me. With bourbon.

Reactions: RednekF350

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Why spend big money on a funeral/casket etc? My family favors cremation; we scattered Dad's ashes in Hereford Inlet.
I want any undesignated money I might leave behind used to throw a party for my friends where they tell stories about me. With bourbon.
I do agree the modern laws on what you must have to bury a person are a crock and so is the price of funerals and such but I don't favor cremation.In history burning a body was mostly a sign of disrespect. Soetimes it was necessary in times of famine and pestilence to get rid of bodies that couldn;t be buried fast enough to prevent more disease. I agree it is cheaper but I don't like it.I do agree with the Jewish practice of not embalming the body and just getting it underground before sundown if possible.I don't understand why people want to embalm and freeze a corpse for a week before having a funeral.It's a money racket.I have never seen a corpse treated as such thjat had any resemblance to the living person.The person is not there.get it in the ground. I really don't care whats done with this hunk of meat once I"m out of it and if it's going to financially wipe my family out then if they want to burn me then go ahead.It's just ashame that the laws almost force you treat the body of your erstwhile loved ones like that or go into debt till you die yourself.It's disgusting.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In history burning a body was mostly a sign of disrespect.

It depends on whose history ;) I kinda like the way my ancestors took care of things, but I think my family might be arrested if they tried it for me. :D

http://www.legendsandchronicles.com...gs/viking-funerals-buriels-and-the-afterlife/

404.png

Reactions: RednekF350

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Just found out recently have at least one Viking branch of my own but I suspect many of my lines back to the British isles probably have Viking in them as well since they pretty much took over much of Britain for a period and then blended into the Saxon and Celtic population but I do have a line of swedes that came to NJ.Are swedes Vikings as well?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It depends on whose history ;) I kinda like the way my ancestors took care of things, but I think my family might be arrested if they tried it for me. :D

Unrelated to burials but did anyone in your family ever have Dupuytren's Disease 46er ? (sometimes called Viking's disease) I have northern Euro heritage and the disease is more prevalent in people from that area and Scandavian heritage. I have had it for about 10 years and I am now getting to the stage where I am going to have to have surgery to correct it. My little finger on my left hand is contracted at about 90 degrees and my ring finger about 45 degrees and it is starting to hurt. More importantly, it is affecting my ability to pull in the clutch on my motorcycle. :mad:

The chance of recurrence is very high which has kept me away from surgery too. Our own Y-Buc Bill had it in both hands but he had surgery at 65 and didn't have recurrence until 90. He tried the Xiaflex treatment at 91 but it didn't work.

This aging bulls**t is for the birds !

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had trigger finger in my right thumb.The Doc fixed it and it is great.Two years later I had trigger finger in my left Middle Finger.It would lock up to where i couldn't even flip the bird during road rage episodes.The doc fixed the trigger finger biut it still hurts like zhell sometimes and is semi numb most of the time and it's been about three years. I think I have arthritis in it now.Yes this old crap is no joke.Nothing heals anymore either.You hurt yourself now your stuck with it.Hell I have old ankle injuries from my teens have come back to haunt me.Got some bad arthritis in my ankle now. No wonder old folks are so mean.

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Are swedes Vikings as well?

Back when the Vikings roamed the world there was no Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Just Scandinavia, which encompassed those current day countries, with the Vikings living along the coastal areas. Most of them were farmer's. Norway didn't become a single kingdom until 872. I've traced my Fathers side back to 1512 so far, with some in modern day Sweden and Denmark with the bulk in Norway. I have a bit more research to do :worms: There was a pretty good series on the cable Science Channel that explored how far they traveled in North America; interesting stuff.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Unrelated to burials but did anyone in your family ever have Dupuytren's Disease 46er ?
No, but like Al, I have had trigger finger a few times on my left hand. I used popsicle sticks taped to the fingers as a splint to keep them straight and it disappeared on it own.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
No, but like Al, I have had trigger finger a few times on my left hand. I used popsicle sticks taped to the fingers as a splint to keep them straight and it disappeared on it own.
If I had of known that I"d of tried it.I have had carpal tunnel in both hands as well and the operations fixed them,only operation I have had that has back fired is the one trigger finger and the detached retina in my right eye,I am not partailly blind in that eye,they fixed the retina but several months later a bad case of the flu screwed it up again and now I have a fizzy football in the center of my vision in that eye.Can see good enough to get out of the woods with it if my left eye was injured and even drive with it in day light on country roads that i know but can't read with it except a few letters at a time.I have a clear pin hole in the center of it.