Tesla

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
She used to be a systems engineer for Amazon's cloud. Appears to have been pretty stupid.
The fact that a "pretty stupid" person could access 100 million records from a major financial institution on Amazon's servers ought to make everyone feel much better. ;)

"The bank has also been public in its embrace of Amazon Web Services. It has closed data centers and shifted those activities to Amazon"

Reactions: old jersey girl

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The fact that a "pretty stupid" person could access 100 million records from a major financial institution on Amazon's servers ought to make everyone feel much better.

There are different forms of stupid. I doubt her knowledge of systems is one of them, but her need to announce her crime was. It also appears it was a fairly simple security failure that got her in, along with auditing failures by Capital One.

Ms. Thompson, who is charged with one count of computer fraud and abuse, allegedly accessed the bank’s data through a misconfigured firewall.

Under the username “erratic,” Ms. Thompson boasted online about her alleged theft of the data, which allowed law enforcement to quickly identify her, according to prosecutors.

Makes one wonder just how exposed the ordinary persons system is. The first they find out about an issue is when they get that bounced check notice in the mail after their checking account has been depleted, or the big buck charge on their credit card. Then the fun begins.

And then there are the 'good' hackers.

The breach occurred in late March, the bank said. This month, an ethical hacker—a person who hacks into a network to test its security—emailed Capital One about the leak of its data, and the bank alerted law enforcement July 19.

It's a dangerous world out there. :siren:

Hot off the presses...

"Capital One, the Virginia-based bank with a popular credit card business, announced Monday that a hacker had accessed about 100 million credit card applications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The hack appears to be one of the largest data breaches ever to hit a financial services firm"

Here's the problem.... A hacker doesn't care what kind of fines the Healthcare provider will face when he steals your personal information.

And we're not surprised.

There are different forms of stupid. I doubt her knowledge of systems is one of them, but her need to announce her crime was. It also appears it was a fairly simple security failure that got her in, along with auditing failures by Capital One.

Makes one wonder just how exposed the ordinary persons system is. The first they find out about an issue is when they get that bounced check notice in the mail after their checking account has been depleted, or the big buck charge on their credit card. Then the fun begins.

And then there are the 'good' hackers.

It's a dangerous world out there. :siren:

Yet another reason not to accept your banks "overdraft protection" which links checking and savings accounts. You have to opt out of this when opening an account.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In a Tesla today... it's you. ;)

"...there are six levels of driving automation. Zero denotes full human control and five is a fully autonomous vehicle.
. . . . . .
With the level of automation today at level two or below, it’s the driver who is responsible if the car crashes, said Bryant Walker Smith, an assistant law professor at the University of South Carolina."

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
In a Tesla today... it's you. ;)

"...there are six levels of driving automation. Zero denotes full human control and five is a fully autonomous vehicle.
. . . . . .
With the level of automation today at level two or below, it’s the driver who is responsible if the car crashes, said Bryant Walker Smith, an assistant law professor at the University of South Carolina."
Well I sure as hell won't be buying one.I still know how to ride a bike

Last edited:
Reactions: 46er
Hot off the presses...

"Capital One, the Virginia-based bank with a popular credit card business, announced Monday that a hacker had accessed about 100 million credit card applications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The hack appears to be one of the largest data breaches ever to hit a financial services firm"

Here's the problem.... A hacker doesn't care what kind of fines the Healthcare provider will face when he steals your personal information.

No, but healthcare providers aren't allowed to release personal information.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My point was.... hackers don't care what healthcare providers are "allowed" to do, and they have a good market for the information that they steal.

"Hackers have stolen millions of records. A breach at Anthem Insurance affected 78 million people, and a hack at UCLA Health exposed more than four million patient records. Despite that, a 2017 survey of health care providers found just 16 percent reported having a fully functional cybersecurity program. "

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Some info about 'erratic'.

These 'hackers' have morphed into a sub-culture, with each one trying to out best the other. Between them and the virus creators, sooner or later they will pay a personal visit.

My point was.... hackers don't care what healthcare providers are "allowed" to do, and they have a good market for the information that they steal.

"Hackers have stolen millions of records. A breach at Anthem Insurance affected 78 million people, and a hack at UCLA Health exposed more than four million patient records. Despite that, a 2017 survey of health care providers found just 16 percent reported having a fully functional cybersecurity program. "

Oh, I was responding to something further up about healthcare providers possibly releasing medical information, not talking about hackers getting to it. My reply kind of got mixed in with the overall discussion.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was at the Marton charging station yesterday and there were 5 Tesla's charging.

My daughter told me today that if you have a Tesla you can leave your pets in the car in the summer or winter when you go into a store. As we discussed the heater and air work off the battery. And apparently you can bring up on the screen a message to anyone who may be looking in the car thinking your pet is suffering. One person had a message that the cat was doing fine and it was 71 degrees in the car and they would be back soon.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
"Police in North Carolina have filed charges against a driver whose Tesla crashed into a police car early Wednesday morning, Raleigh's CBS 17 television reports. The driver admitted to officers that he had activated the Autopilot technology on his Model S and was watching a movie on his phone at the time of the crash."

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
New Jersey "The Sue Me State" How do you sue a car that drives itself???? Hmmmm. I saw these problems before they appeared.THis stuff has been happening for many years,it's called falling asleep at the wheel,the car drives itself,for a few seconds anyway

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Have been on the parkway often in the past 3 weeks between Bamber and Barnegat. Two white teslas are seen frequently; in the passenger seat is a computer screen, and one above the center console. Testing, testing, testing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

A chilling observation, from Craig Williams, director of outreach at Cisco’s security arm Talos Labs, was what might have happened had the plot succeeded. “This does bring into question the risk added if the system responsible for your self driving car comes under attacker control—due to malicious insider or otherwise,” he wrote. “The entire thing is extremely exciting and concerning.”