Tip Shakedown

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When I worked in Philadelphia, a lot of guys did the same thing and carried around huge rolls of cash. But they weren't worried about getting hacked.... they didn't want their wives to see all the overtime they got and how much of it was spent at the strip clubs. :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How are you going to get the cash? Better go into the bank and cash a paper check instead of using an ATM card for it.

That's what I do, but I use the drive-thru ;) Convenience and less work for the bank can cost you nowadaze.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That's what I do, but I use the drive-thru ;) Convenience and less work for the bank can cost you nowadaze.
I do not use drive-thru anything which is another thing that drives my wife crazy. I would rather walk into a bank or business and have face to face interaction. In most cases, I am in and out and on my way before people that I saw in line in the drive-thru lane are even placing an order or up to the window. Businesses like Dunkin' are prime examples of the drive-thru lag during morning rush hours.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
How are you going to get the cash? Better go into the bank and cash a paper check instead of using an ATM card for it. ;) I think we can assume that just about every business will eventually get hacked. The the good thing is that credit cards offer a lot of protection against fraud, and they can't get your money until you pay the bill.

If you use a debit card, the theives immediately remove the money from your bank account. Have seen this happen to many people - happened to my daughter a few months ago and the bank froze her account while they investigated, I had to send her some money in the meantime.

Yeah, you're right. You know, I've never carried a monthly balance on my credit card over to the next month in almost 15 years. That comes from having a balance of $2,600 when I was married and having to pay a lot of interest while I paid it off. With children's braces, dance lessons, Little league ball, karate, etc, I was limited in how quickly I could pay it off. But I"m going to start using that for more stuff since I have much less of a problem paying it in full monthly. My New Years resolution.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Most, if not all, bank and CC companies offer account alerts the customer can set to alert them to any charges, deposits, balances or other activity on their accounts. I have them set for when bank accounts hit a certain low balance and if a cc charge occurs without the card being present. Simple, immediate info.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I never did and still don't see the value in a debit card. They have nothing to offer and more to lose as in the example given above. Maybe if your not creditworthy to get a credit card?
As for going to the bank to cash your paycheck, consider yourself "lucky" as many companies now hire a paycheck company that does all the deductions and issues your check as a direct deposit.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of security, I love the two step process for online accounts. They'll probably figure out how to beat that eventually, but so far so good.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well, maybe this device will be more widely available.

The bluetooth version has already been hacked. Usually when a new method is released the hackers target it until someone succeeds, very much a game with them. Personal due diligence for one's accounts is probably the most reliable method.

Reactions: old jersey girl
T

Toothy Critter

Maybe IDK what I am talking about, or if this even relevant to this thread, but on the subject of security... I heard that hackers can access your info thru wifi through the new "smart light", ya know where you say "Alexa, turn on my light" They use that friggin light to hack you. Or the "smart plug" you can plug anything into. Go figure....just figured I would throw my 2 cents in for what its worth.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I heard that hackers can access your info thru wifi through the new "smart light", ya know where you say "Alexa, turn on my light"

Smart lights are connected to your home network. Any device on the network represents another possibility for intrusion, and once a hacker is inside your network, they can attack other devices like your computer. Alexa is another huge can of worms. No hacking is even required....

"This week, I read through a history of everything I’ve said to Alexa, and it felt a little bit like reading an old diary. Until I remembered that the things I’ve told Alexa in private are stored on an Amazon server and have possibly been read by an Amazon employee."

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Maybe IDK what I am talking about, or if this even relevant to this thread, but on the subject of security... I heard that hackers can access your info thru wifi through the new "smart light", ya know where you say "Alexa, turn on my light"

Yep, and on the newer cars it has been shown they can access some of the controls. :eek:

T

Toothy Critter

Just got an Email from Norton. All Wawa stores and gas stations were hacked yesterday. They gave a list of steps people should take. Hack started in March. All Wawa's are affected I would copy and paste the Email but I don't know hoe. But anyone can get the info on the internet I guess.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't think there's much anyone can do except watch for fraudulent charges on their credit card bills.

Well, we can minimize it. I have my debit card tied only to a separate checking account (in the same bank) that is automatically replenished when my pension / pay check comes in. It is only enough to pay for food, gas, restaurant, and entertainment money for the month. If that gets tapped, it is never more than about $700. I may have overdraft protection on that, and this has spurred me to either minimize or eliminate that. I've only used it once in the last 10 years, when I paid $30 for gas and only had $10 in the account.