Isolation 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wondering what will happen, if anything, to the trout opener in 2 weeks. If they close the fish and hunting seasons that will be a sign to me that we are in deep cow pies.
The only thing I’ve seen so far from F&W is a request to not approach the stocking staff when you see them and maintain a safe distance from others while fishing. They said if you can’t do that, find another place to fish.

I haven’t trout fished since I was a little kid. I have noticed a lot of people on the road this past week with small boats on the back. I think a lot of the people that are not working are going fishing and so far that is not prohibited.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Maybe other members can explain this better then me.

Sounds like they are using "Animoji"... a gimmick on the newer iOS devices that have special face recognition hardware. Personally, I want no part of anything related to facial recognition, a technology that has massive potential for abuse. Have been waiting for Apple to return to fingerprint ID (which has been rumored) before I upgrade my phone. But anyway, I'm sure this is very cute for your grandkids and lots of fun. :)

I had to miss my daughter's and granddaughter's birthdays earlier this month, since they are in New York City. That sucked. :( And worse still, I can't even imagine the day when I will want to set foot in the City again, could be a year or more. And it also seems unlikely that they will be able to come visit me as usual this summer.

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

I am a big Horse Racing fan but not a big gambler. I had ,or still have, many vices in my day, but gambling is not one of the. I will spend thousands of $$ on fishing crap I don't need, but to lose two bucks on a bet is like throwing money away. I like to at least get something for my money. Having said that, Fox Sports is broadcasting live racing from a few tracks that are still open, and I signed up to 4NJbets.com so I can bet a buck or two on a few races just to make it interesting to watch. Just in case any sports fans are climbing the walls. I watched the simulated Nascar last week but it just didn't do it for me. Anyway

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That may be snapchat?

Anyway, my daughter uses bitmoji to make them with her friend. Some of them are really funny. Here is one frame I believe from one of them. My daughter on the right.

L_J.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My grandkids do it to.My wife also gets a kick out of it.I guess I"m not as easily amused. Now if I could look like Herman to your left I would think that would be hilarious.Some folks just get all the looks.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Regardless, you need a phone that has the special face scanning hardware, because that's how it reads your expression and head movement. I think some newer Android phones have this as well.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Regardless, you need a phone that has the special face scanning hardware, because that's how it reads your expression and head movement. I think some newer Android phones have this as well.
I am too old to be savvy to these things so I started to create one and never finished, and somehow it finished itself. It now has braces since I just got them. It's maybe a little bit creepy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am too old to be savvy to these things so I started to create one and never finished, and somehow it finished itself. It now has braces since I just got them. It's maybe a little bit creepy.

I will be ending my braces in a few weeks. Invisalign is harder to see though.

Reactions: Sue Gremlin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had the front tooth removed because of an infection. Had a bone graft in March because the bone was gone. Acquired the braces in July. My dentist is now closed because of this virus so I may have to hang in slightly longer to get the retainer. Another year with that at night.

Reactions: Sue Gremlin
T

Toothy Critter

I think it setting up to be just another NJ trout opening day. :worms:

Saxton Falls, used to make the papers each spring.

View attachment 13246

My friend cons me into going on opening day every year. I have a list of failed excuses. I hate it, but we do what we do for others at times. Saxton Falls, Flatbrook, South Branch, Paulinskill, Musky, they all look like that on opening day. Ah....but then after I pay my dues, I retreat back to the quiet Pines in solitude and hope an Esox Niger will rise to my offering. That is my love

Reactions: 46er and Teegate
I'm not old, but like all of us, I am not getting any younger. Therefore those who are more senior than me, please bear with my pathetic attempts at "how things have changed," but I hope you at least appreciate the following anecdote and sentiment. Back in the early 1980s, I remember as a child going to DisneyWorld with my family. My favorite was Epcot and the stucco kiosk "nations" you could explore. Even more impressive though was the use of touch screen technology. I remember thinking, even then, that it would never be a reality. Fast forward a couple of decades and I have presently possessed a telephone (!) now capable of touchscreen technology for years, and without fail, I still remark to unfortunate listeners how amazed I am by this leap forward.

The reason I mention this, is that it must be incredible for your mom, at 92 years young, to be able to video conference her son. My grandfather was born in 1903, the year the airplane was invented. He is no longer with us, but the innovation that has occurred since then is breathtaking. Within 40 years we had nuclear technology and another 20 years later we were on the moon. For thousands of years, most people were farmers and did not leave their immediate location for most of their lives. Then with the industrial revolution, everything went into fast forward. Imagine those born in the mid-19th century, who may have been lucky enough to have their picture taken, then see the advent of trains, and telegraphs, and steam ships, and early- telephones, etc. Personally, I still can't believe the internet is thing. Every bit of information at your fingertips. History is relative but we are living within an incredible era that has witnessed change like none other; for better or worse.

Sorry for the pedantic post, but I'm a history teacher and I haven't been able to bore anyone in two weeks.
And also quarantine; it is just me and my two cats and they get tired of my lectures.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My friend cons me into going on opening day every year. I have a list of failed excuses. I hate it, but we do what we do for others at times. Saxton Falls, Flatbrook, South Branch, Paulinskill, Musky, they all look like that on opening day. Ah....but then after I pay my dues, I retreat back to the quiet Pines in solitude and hope an Esox Niger will rise to my offering. That is my love

I used to take my two boys but ended that when they complained it wasn't 'fishin'. That was a loooong time ago. Now we wait until May and fish the wild trout streams; a bit of a ride but worth it :) The Toms TCA isn't bad, but not until stocking ends, quite a few chain sides in it as well.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
At first glance I thought the first picture was a klan float :D
Thats so wierd! that was the first thing I thought too
We broke from isolation today and visited the Webb's Mill beaver dam along our way. Not too bad but it does have some backup.

View attachment 13244

Traffic was really light. There was a man picking up trash along 532 between Ringler Ave and the PP entrance. A few cars there with hikers and one car at the PP entrance by the Ammon nursery. We did see a car heading into the woods by Webb's Mill but other than that is was quiet.
We went pass there on Thursday. There were so many baby turtles on every log and branch. The kids were going crazy about it

Reactions: Teegate
So.... I wonder. When this is all over, do you think there will be an exodus from big cities like New York? Seems possible, and might offset the big hit I took on property value when Atlantic City went bust. Of course, it really doesn't matter since I plan to stay here. I have a friend in a small town in Maine. Yesterday he said that "city folk" are pouring into town, returning to their second homes or looking to buy/rent a new place.

Where in Maine? I trained there, if I weren't too damn old to spend ice-bound winters I'd move there.

That must be painful to have to drive into the city to see your close kin. My daughter lives in Marlton, but that is not as pleasant a drive as it sounds. Just getting through Whiting is a pain in the ass; there are 6 lights I have to go through, and my average is making only 2 to 3 of them. And route 70 West to Marlton? Forget about it. Get in line, sit back, and shut up. But man, those people who do 50-55 on that road are killing me!

When my mother was in retirement community in Medford, the drive to visit her was a mostly pleasant departure from Cumberland county ending in an expletive-enhanced stop/go on Rt 70. Leave me in the boonies, Maine or south Jersey.

One thing I noticed. I did it 8 days ago, so it was the first store to do this. As I turned left on Lacey and headed west, I had to get behind 6 cars coming from Forked River direction. When I got to Stop and Shop, 5 of them turned in there!

The whole point is to avoid people who are less risk-adverse.

Every time I've gone out for necessities here in Cumberland county, I've been appalled at how few people are maintaining distance, wearing gloves, etc. I'm not risk averse; I'm all out paranoid. I share a house with someone who is severely asthmatic, and I don't want to bring the virus home. I've been wearing gloves when I go out since flu season started.

Viruses evolve right along with us; exposure to this one is as inevitable as another future pandemic. My caution in wearing protective gear, washing/cleaning or re-packaging everything I buy, is just a delaying tactic until we better understand and can manage this latest virus. I expect to get it eventually, or avoid it long enough to get the vaccine in 12-18 months.

The upside is 1) less traffic, less noise, less trivia. 2) more meaningfull communication with family and friends.

New on youtube-- a tune "Stay the f#ck home" Sung by someone even older than us!

Reactions: bobpbx
Status
Not open for further replies.