Parks, Forests, WMAs open only for passive recreation

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Definitely still legal, but I don't know anyone who uses anything but slugs. Many people would tell you that deer hunting with buckshot is inhumane and leaves a lot of animals crippled but alive. Lots of people have "slug rifles"- basically a scoped shotgun with a rifled barrel designed to shoot either slugs or sabots. It's basically a way to get around the no rifle rule and extend the range of a 12 gauge. At close range a 1 ounce slug has at least the energy of a .308 and decent accuracy out to around 100 yards. Any kind of pellet load can't come close to that. Many would say it's a more ethical way to hunt because, like with a rifle, you'll either hit and make a quick kill, or miss entirely.

The downside of course is that those things will travel a long way through trees and brush and still hit an unsuspecting hiker.

Is buckshot illegal now or are slugs just "in" now?

Reactions: MuckSavage

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Definitely still legal, but I don't know anyone who uses anything but slugs. Many people would tell you that deer hunting with buckshot is inhumane and leaves a lot of animals crippled but alive. Lots of people have "slug rifles"- basically a scoped shotgun with a rifled barrel designed to shoot either slugs or sabots. It's basically a way to get around the no rifle rule and extend the range of a 12 gauge. At close range a 1 ounce slug has at least the energy of a .308 and decent accuracy out to around 100 yards. Any kind of pellet load can't come close to that. Many would say it's a more ethical way to hunt because, like with a rifle, you'll either hit and make a quick kill, or miss entirely.

The downside of course is that those things will travel a long way through trees and brush and still hit an unsuspecting hiker.

If I am hunting a rye field or farm field edge or open woods I'll use a slug, if I'm walking fire breaks or heavier woods I'll use 00

Reactions: MuckSavage

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
If I'm not mistaken, NJ requires either a scope or rifle sights for shooting slugs. No vent rib barrels. So I don't think one can legally just switch back and forth while hunting, without changing barrels.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I don't think you'll see any more closures on state property. Buildings and attractions like campgrounds or historic sites have already been closed for the duration...
I sure hope you are right. But I don't think you've seen what I've seen. Don't get me wrong - the vast majority of people I see out there are doing exactly what they should. Walking alone, or with spouse. Dog optional. When passing on trails, say hi, move as far apart as possible, pass quickly. But then there are the few who don't listen or don't care. Parking lots are a problem. Batsto closed theirs because of this. But they are also on trails and roads. And it won't take much. A few photos or videos on social media, seen by DEP official or even Governor, and it's gates closed, signs up, keep out.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Not sure if I understand.... Why do you "hope the state has the guts to keep them open"? If things are as you say, wouldn't it be irresponsible for the state to keep them open? But it sure would be a shame to lock everyone out of our public lands, leaving people stuck at home in close quarters. I heard a report on Bloomberg today that divorces are spiking in China in the wake of their severe lockdown measures.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

I"ve never understood why rifle hunting is illegal in NJ.The woods are usually so thick the round won't go that far before hitting a tree.You can hunt with a rifle in WV where the woods are usually much more open then here and you can see animals moving completely on the other side of the holler.
My own theory is that the state government feels that if it;'s illegal to hunt with a rifle people will be less inclined to own one.A rifle is an effective defense weapon at ranges much longer then a shotgun.People armed with rifles are much harder to defeat. Much like using rifled muskets against blunderbuss"s.We already know whose gonna win.

Reactions: Wick

Which technique leaves you with a better venison result, buckshot or slug? When I cooked some birds a friend shot, picking out shot pellets was part of the prep.

Friend of mine who was a CO said the main problem was the minority that were lousy shots and left injured animals in the woods, or shot illegally near roads, residences.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
My own theory is that the state government feels that if it;'s illegal to hunt with a rifle people will be less inclined to own one.A rifle is an effective defense weapon at ranges much longer then a shotgun.People armed with rifles are much harder to defeat. Much like using rifled muskets against blunderbuss"s.We already know whose gonna win.

Its not illegal to hunt with a rifle in NJ. You can hunt deer with a muzzle loading rifle or you can special permit hunt fox and coyote with a "modern" rifle no larger than 25 caliber, or woodchuck with 25 and larger. Both caliber mags must be limited to 3 rounds. No woodchuck hunting in state forest or WMAs. Besides, the second amendment says I can own a rifle..... for now...

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin
Its not illegal to hunt with a rifle in NJ. You can hunt deer with a muzzle loading rifle or you can special permit hunt fox and coyote with a "modern" rifle no larger than 25 caliber, or woodchuck with 25 and larger. Both caliber mags must be limited to 3 rounds. No woodchuck hunting in state forest or WMAs. Besides, the second amendment says I can own a rifle..... for now...

"for now..." Please, PLEASE,
lets not restart the gun rights discussion. I look forward to doing it in person at the party I hope we all have in a year or more when a vaccine is available. I'll bring the bourbon.

I sit firmly astride the fence: I own a shotgun and a revolver, and have worked as an ER EMT and assisted the Atlantic County Medical Examiner 1982-1984.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
"for now..." Please, PLEASE,
lets not restart the gun rights discussion. I look forward to doing it in person at the party I hope we all have in a year or more when a vaccine is available. I'll bring the bourbon.

I sit firmly astride the fence: I own a shotgun and a revolver, and have worked as an ER EMT and assisted the Atlantic County Medical Examiner 1982-1984.
I am not starting anything, just clearing up hunting with a rifle and why I am "inclined" to own one. You mentioned the "rights" not I. I have also seen my share of horror if that is what you are referring to as your time with EMS

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 123

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Is buckshot illegal now or are slugs just "in" now?

Nothing really in at all right now Al, except groundhogs. But as Broke Jeep said, no G'hog hunting on WMA's or in State Forests.

Ironically, our State allows some pretty heavy duty centerfire rifle firepower for groundhogs, fox and coyote.
Turkey starts coming in this month.

Last edited:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I just drove by Atsion Recreation Area. It was supposed to open today but it is gated.