Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Since I've never tried it, thought I would have a look at how online shopping works at Shoprite. Went to their site and clicked the link for online shopping and immediately saw the alert below. I didn't want to "get in line", I just wanted some info about how the process works. But I guess I have to "wait in line" to even find that. Now, whenever I got to any part of the Shoprite website, it just sends me back here.

How ridiculous is that? And why in the world would you have to "wait in line" to access a website? Why can't you just place an order and then receive notification about when it will be available? Does anybody here actually use this? How does it work?

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 8.16.54 AM.png

Reactions: Sue Gremlin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
About 3 weeks ago I saw them touting BJ's pickup services and also home delivery. Went on the website, and Toms River did not do pickup, nor did they even mention it. Neither did Manahawkin. But, they still said delivery is available but it's managed by Instacart, and Bj's had taken a hands off approach (i.e, any questions or problems, ask instacart). I was anxious, so I tried instacart. I selected 17 items and pushed the button for delivery time. All the slots for delivery were full for 4 days, so I chose the morning of day 5. A note popped up that said we don't deliver to your area. :argh:.

Since then, I've grown more accustomed to just taking precautions and doing it myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How ridiculous is that?

I sent them a note saying how ridiculous it was to allow online ordering for delivery or pickup when there aren't any time slots available. No response yet. FWIW, WalMart is the easiest and most reliable, at least for me. They only have a 2 day window. Always got a PU slot, prefer pickup over delivery.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
But, they still said delivery is available but it's managed by Peapod
BJ's uses Instacart for delivery, same as Acme. BJ's web site is a mess

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I sent them a note saying how ridiculous it was to allow online ordering for delivery or pickup when there aren't any time slots available. No response yet. FWIW, WalMart is the easiest and most reliable, at least for me. They only have a 2 day window. Always got a PU slot, prefer pickup over delivery.

How does Walmart pickup work at the store? In Lanoka Harbor I see cars pulling around towards the rear, and someone comes out to the car and it looks like the people go over the order with the worker that comes out. I'd think it would work better if you just have it put in the trunk and deal with any discrepancies online.

PS: yes, Peapod was Stop-n-shop.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How does Walmart pickup work at the store? In Lanoka Harbor I see cars pulling around towards the rear, and someone comes out to the car and it looks like the people go over the order with the worker that comes out. I'd think it would work better if you just have it put in the trunk and deal with any discrepancies online.

PS: yes, Peapod was Stop-n-shop.
That's the way it works, I exit around the back. They send you a notification when its ready, you accept it, call them when you pull in. You do not have to get out of the car, they put it in the car and let you know if there are any out of stock or substitutions, no signing for anything and they wear masks and gloves. But they don't have any TP :argh: Try Acme in Seaside Heights.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Oh well, just another sign of how our system wasn't ready to deal with this kind of crisis. Will just continue going to the store, it hasn't been a problem in the past. I would have only used online shopping for packaged products anyway, can't imagine buying produce that way, considering the range of quality I usually find in the store.

It's been 8 days since I've left my property, and then it was only for a trip to the grocery store that lasted about a half-hour. Have not even seen another human being since then, let alone gotten near one. Just crazy seeing all those cars in Wharton.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
can't imagine buying produce that way, considering the range of quality I usually find in the store.

I've bought produce; veggies, fruit, meats, and the quality is top notch, probably better than I would have chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.