Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes, the boundaries are there. The darker green areas are public openspace, the lighter green is just forest cover. If you zoom in to level 17 you will also see parcels, which (sometimes) match up with the WMA boundaries. Problem is, the state's dataset is not very accurate in some places. So you'll notice that the parcel boundaries may not line up with the dark green shading. I have enhanced boundaries for Wharton and Bass River State Forests that were created from the parcel data. Have not attempted that for the WMA's or other state forests yet.

Here's an example where the WMA boundaries are pretty clear
https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.79186/-74.32284/pinesHD

wma.jpg

The colors on my new "dark topo" make the boundaries more obvious (it doesn't show forest cover). But coverage is still pretty limited for the new LIDAR map. Eventually, I will offer the dark topo as an option at boydsmaps online, but that will have to wait awhile

https://lidar.boydsmaps.com/#x112y038/topo/0/1300/0/0/0/0/-200/250/-900/100/2.5/2d

lidar.jpg

NJDEP maintains the state openspace dataset. I believe they finally updated this last year, but my maps are still using data from 2017. Apparently many of the legacy boundaries were copied from the USGS 24k Topo maps, and those are just not very accurate.

Reactions: old jersey girl
Yes, the boundaries are there. The darker green areas are public openspace, the lighter green is just forest cover. If you zoom in to level 17 you will also see parcels, which (sometimes) match up with the WMA boundaries. Problem is, the state's dataset is not very accurate in some places. So you'll notice that the parcel boundaries may not line up with the dark green shading. I have enhanced boundaries for Wharton and Bass River State Forests that were created from the parcel data. Have not attempted that for the WMA's or other state forests yet.

Here's an example where the WMA boundaries are pretty clear
https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.79186/-74.32284/pinesHD

View attachment 13316

The colors on my new "dark topo" make the boundaries more obvious (it doesn't show forest cover). But coverage is still pretty limited for the new LIDAR map. Eventually, I will offer the dark topo as an option at boydsmaps online, but that will have to wait awhile

https://lidar.boydsmaps.com/#x112y038/topo/0/1300/0/0/0/0/-200/250/-900/100/2.5/2d

View attachment 13317

NJDEP maintains the state openspace dataset. I believe they finally updated this last year, but my maps are still using data from 2017. Apparently many of the legacy boundaries were copied from the USGS 24k Topo maps, and those are just not very accurate.

Boyd, thanks again for these maps.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My youngest daughter in her shopping outfit. Who would believe there would be a day a store would let you in wearing this :)

She just purchased the shirt which has a really long neck that goes over her face.

IMG_8523.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The parking area at Maurice River Bluffs still packed full every day like it has been the past year.It;s so busy out there I won't even go out there any more and this virus hasn;t changed anything. Well I"m about to hit the woods in my crowd of two.Me and the grandson.He has no school so he stays with us during the day while his parents work anyway.I"m the dangerous one.I work with 300 people everyday. Gonna scout out some potential arrowhead hunting grounds.

Reactions: Menantico
The parking area at Maurice River Bluffs still packed full every day like it has been the past year.It;s so busy out there I won't even go out there any more and this virus hasn;t changed anything. Well I"m about to hit the woods in my crowd of two.Me and the grandson.He has no school so he stays with us during the day while his parents work anyway.I"m the dangerous one.I work with 300 people everyday. Gonna scout out some potential arrowhead hunting grounds.

Has your work site done anything to reduce risk? Despite the recent advisory to wear a face covering, probably about a third of the locals here in Hopewell Twp aren't doing it. Few local cases so far, so it's still not real to people here.

Locations include Bridgeton post office, local covenience stores and dollar store near Rt 49 and West Park Drive intersection. In larger stores, more caution. Aldi, WaWa, Walmart , Shoprite all have employees assigned to wipe carts with cleaner.
I'm glad to see this, expecting the need for it to last through summer.

Reactions: glowordz

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Oh yes, work has taken the boths apart in the lunch room so that only one side has a seat in order to force us to set apart.The lunch rom was already to small.Now they have a tent out in the parking lot to set in so you can walk 50 yards through a down pour to enjoy your lunch break and have to spend half of it walking. They gave us rags to wear around our face that fall off of our ears,home made garbage.They save the N95 masks for the workers in the batch house who breathe noxious batch every day.they also disabled the time clocks that you have to place your finger on.hey now take it on faith were showing up every day.If I don;t show up they will know it pretty quick but resort could possibly miss the radar. About 80 % of women wearing masks,maybe 40% of men.Apparently as of today they are making it mandatory.My day off.I"ll tell them get me a real one and I"ll wear it,their rag falls off my ears. They act as if we're all gonna die,you know i think their right., given enough time.

Reactions: glowordz and bobpbx
Oh yes, work has taken the boths apart in the lunch room so that only one side has a seat in order to force us to set apart.The lunch rom was already to small.Now they have a tent out in the parking lot to set in so you can walk 50 yards through a down pour to enjoy your lunch break and have to spend half of it walking. They gave us rags to wear around our face that fall off of our ears,home made garbage.They save the N95 masks for the workers in the batch house who breathe noxious batch every day.they also disabled the time clocks that you have to place your finger on.hey now take it on faith were showing up every day.If I don;t show up they will know it pretty quick but resort could possibly miss the radar. About 80 % of women wearing masks,maybe 40% of men.Apparently as of today they are making it mandatory.My day off.I"ll tell them get me a real one and I"ll wear it,their rag falls off my ears. They act as if we're all gonna die,you know i think their right., given enough time.

Interesting. I have also noticed that men/women ratio. I guess my gender is innately more cautious. But a lot of non-masked people are in that younger, below 25 year old group, both genders. Death is still a distant threat.

You may already have seen it, but FYI: you can make a not too uncomfortable no-sew mask with a couple of folded bandannas and some elastic hair ties. Dr Gupta has video showing the folding technique and it is also on the CDC website. Walmart hs bandannas and also pre-cut fabric in sewing dept.

Use larger elastic hair bands (in aisle near pharmacy) not rubber bands, as hair bands are fabric-coated and won't pinch ears. I double the larger hair ties meant for use as headbands so that the mask isn't so tight it pops off my ears. Use at least 2 layers of fabric, preferably 4 if loose weave, with some kind of filter in between layers.
Pain in the ass but it does reduce risk

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As each day begins, I get less and less confident that the folks telling us stuff about covid-19 actually know what they are talking about. Just read that some are now saying it also attacks the heart. And they are using 'models' to help predict what will occur next? Doesn't the weather service also use models for prediction? We all know how well that works. If I knew for sure I wouldn't get pulled over and quarantined in one of the states I have to travel through, I would be on my way to my property in Maine.

Reactions: manumuskin
As each day begins, I get less and less confident that the folks telling us stuff about covid-19 actually know what they are talking about. Just read that some are now saying it also attacks the heart. And they are using 'models' to help predict what will occur next? Doesn't the weather service also use models for prediction? We all know how well that works. If I knew for sure I wouldn't get pulled over and quarantined in one of the states I have to travel through, I would be on my way to my property in Maine.

When I read the newest research articles re covid-19 virus, I'm reminded that this is a new virus and much is still unknown. Also the data about who it affects, how severely, and aftereffects is still emerging.

Waiting with uncertainty sucks. When you do go to Maine, can I ride shotgun?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This morning I heard a report that about 30% of the covid19 test results from one location were false negatives. They said that an MRI of the lungs may be the most accurate way to diagnose. Seems like you'd already be in deep trouble by the time that shows anything.

"Convenience Stores, Dollar Store, Post Office, Aldi, WaWa, Walmart, Shoprite"? Geez Jersey Girl, do you really have to go to all those places? No idea who is wearing masks, last time I went anywhere was a trip to Shoprite on March 30, only a handful of people wearing masks then and they looked like they were scared to death. Before that, I made another trip to Shoprite on March 23 and that's it for the past month.

Have not done any online shopping or gotten any deliveries either. Ain't been nobody but me anywhere near my home since before Christmas. But I'm very fortunate to have my own woods for wandering and no wife or kids in the house that I need to escape. :D

Stay safe everybody, I think it will be a good long while before we can resume anything resembling our old lives. :(

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My wife is the same as me,neither one of us have succumbed to fear and donned masks but it appears starting tonight if she goes to the grocery store she will have to wear a mask.I asked her if she has to start wearing the mask when were out if this means I get to fart in the car? Since I have married her this has been strictly a no no when shes in it with me and even in the same room at Home. I am afraid she has demasucalted me. By the way the only reply I got was a look that would melt plastic. I hope my control of such things don't slip when I get older.I hear it often does.

• Haha
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I asked her if she has to start wearing the mask when were out if this means I get to fart in the car?

That reminds me of a funny story, my ex-wife's aunt was married to a big TV star for a long time and then went through a very public tabloid-style divorce. She ended up with his car and sold it for something outrageous. When I asked how she got so much, she said it was because the seat still smelled from his farts, LOL. :p

(And no, I'm not going to say who it was, but he was the star of one of the biggest cop shows of the 70's)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Now we can be just like China.... at least it's opt-in and not something that the government is enforcing. The descriptions here are a little vague, but the idea is that an app on your phone will alert you when you come close to somebody who has tested positive. I can see the value of this from a public health standpoint, but there's just something about it that bothers me. In China, a similar program is run by the government, and your freedom of movement is determined by how close you have been to people who are infected.

This morning I heard a report that about 30% of the covid19 test results from one location were false negatives. They said that an MRI of the lungs may be the most accurate way to diagnose. Seems like you'd already be in deep trouble by the time that shows anything.

"Convenience Stores, Dollar Store, Post Office, Aldi, WaWa, Walmart, Shoprite"? Geez Jersey Girl, do you really have to go to all those places? No idea who is wearing masks, last time I went anywhere was a trip to Shoprite on March 30, only a handful of people wearing masks then and they looked like they were scared to death. Before that, I made another trip to Shoprite on March 23 and that's it for the past month.

Have not done any online shopping or gotten any deliveries either. Ain't been nobody but me anywhere near my home since before Christmas. But I'm very fortunate to have my own woods for wandering and no wife or kids in the house that I need to escape. :D

Stay safe everybody, I think it will be a good long while before we can resume anything resembling our old lives. :(

ER doc interviewed last week in NY area said that when non-covid-19 patients got routine admission chest x-ray, many showed virus symptoms in lungs.

I think you are correct about the long wait for "normal", and so is 46er about how that version of normal will be different.

That itinerary was a compendium of all the places I've been in or driven by in the last two weeks. I shop for groceries for my house and two other people about once a week. Pretty much stopped going to Shoprite before that; as the only big grocery store in this area, was always very crowded. Each time I cruise their parking lot, it was usually full.

I was impressed with the safety efforts of the corporate stores. The local convenience store is owned/operated by an extended family from the subcontinent, don't remember if they're Indian or Pakistani. Doesn't matter; after a brief period of local mistrust, they are where all the locals buy cigs, lottery tickets, best breakfast/lunch sandwiches.
This business installed a plexiglass face shield at the register counter, and has a pile of the CDC face mask guidelines/diy info on the counter. Went in there yesterday to buy ice, out of 8 people in/ out, 3 were masked.

I envy you your woods; but I am lucky enough to live next to a farm field with woods behind. And enough open space nearby to walk alone.

Reactions: glowordz and Boyd
My wife is the same as me,neither one of us have succumbed to fear and donned masks but it appears starting tonight if she goes to the grocery store she will have to wear a mask.I asked her if she has to start wearing the mask when were out if this means I get to fart in the car? Since I have married her this has been strictly a no no when shes in it with me and even in the same room at Home. I am afraid she has demasucalted me. By the way the only reply I got was a look that would melt plastic. I hope my control of such things don't slip when I get older.I hear it often does.

In reverse order: yes it does. Also your sense of smell; you'll know because the dog will wrinkle her nose and walk away.

No, you may not fart in the car. Melts the upholstery.

"demasucalted" ? Wearing a mask will not cause testicular shrinkage.

Any questions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.