Most of new jersey was once an ocean, and we have a lot of proof

i hate corona virus

Apr 22, 2020
Marlton, NJ
Most of new jersey used to be an ocean... in the prehistoric times, most of the state was under water, and there are many, many fossils. First, my home town of Marlton is named after a greenish clay-like substance called marl, hence the name marlton, and in pits of marl, called marl pits, you can find teeth of prehistoric sea creatures (e.g. mesosaurus, mosasaurus, megaladon) and also modern shark teeth. they were buried with millions of years of marl and soil. there is a soccer field in mhy town called savich field, and many arrowheads were found there. The baseball complex, called arrowhead park, is named arrowhead park because there were many arrowheads found there... Also, behind a shopping mall somewhere in nj, i think it is abandoned, but there is a big archaelogical site where the fossils of many prehistoric sea creatures have been found. new jersey is richer in fossils than you may ever think... so if you have time, try and find some fossils...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I grew up in Marlton in the 50's, 60s, 70s and into the eighties. As a kid the residents would all head to the "marl hole" at 70 and Maple Ave and ice skate. There would be a huge bonfire, with tires burning, right along Maple Ave where anyone could walk over to and get warm, and the new police force would stop by once in a while and visit. That hole was in the distant past, owned by the owner of the Bareford Hotel that use to be where the 7-11 is today. He gave permission to dig it with the stipulation it would be filled in. Obviously, that did not occur. My mom and brother was in Gear's deli on Main street in 1965 when the hotel was toppled by a wrecking ball.

Where the Nieuw Amsterdam apartments are located today was a marl pit according to old maps, and one across Maple Ave. They must have been filled in because I played in the woods there before Nieuw Amsterdam was built and there was no evidence of holes. I have a book that says in the early 1900s a test well was dug just off of route 70 at the Marlton /Medford border and hundreds of feet down they found shark teeth.

When my parents moved to Marlton in 1954 our yard was all Marl. My mom could not hang clothes on the line for days after a rain. You would sink into it and could not get it off your shoes. When my father and brother were in Reeds Beach repairing my grandparents house after a hurricane, my mother and I sodded portions of the yard by putting the sod in my little wagon and dragging it through the marl to the back yard and putting it down.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Most of new jersey used to be an ocean... in the prehistoric times, most of the state was under water, and there are many, many fossils. First, my home town of Marlton is named after a greenish clay-like substance called marl, hence the name marlton, and in pits of marl, called marl pits, you can find teeth of prehistoric sea creatures (e.g. mesosaurus, mosasaurus, megaladon) and also modern shark teeth. they were buried with millions of years of marl and soil. there is a soccer field in mhy town called savich field, and many arrowheads were found there. The baseball complex, called arrowhead park, is named arrowhead park because there were many arrowheads found there... Also, behind a shopping mall somewhere in nj, i think it is abandoned, but there is a big archaelogical site where the fossils of many prehistoric sea creatures have been found. new jersey is richer in fossils than you may ever think... so if you have time, try and find some fossils...
My best friends best friend has the largest private collection of Late Cretaceous fossils in the country.He lives in Long beach ,Monmouth county.Their in his basement.He mostly digs in the vicinity of Metedeconk and manasquan rivers where the beds outcrop. He is also a caver and thats how Him,me and our friend all met,they were friends first.We met underground in a cave in NY where there are more fossils of fish in the walls in black oolitic limestone.It can really suck up a good light and back then we were using carbide.