Am I a Piney Now?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed 's property are the 4 lots in a row shown here from Oswego Road to Beaver Branch. The separations between the lots are the planned roads. Notice how his cleared property does not follow the lines. Whoever cleared it did not have a true idea where the property corners were.

ed.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Speaking of Ed's property, my friend and I had the pleasure of meeting him when our car got stuck farther west on Oswego rd near the cranberry bogs. The pine flies were horrendous as we walked back to Ed's to ask for 2 shovels. He walked back with us and helped. This was the '69 or '70 era. The farm may have once had pigs and chickens but when we were there, he was raising turkeys and so to this day I refer to it as the "turkey farm"

Dennis2
The trails you speak of are old motorcycle enduro trails that don't lead anywhere in particular or anything interesting. They usually parallel a road and come back out or come out on a crossroad. You will occasionally see bikes still enjoying them but they are not used by the enduro clubs any longer and are quickly overgrowing.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
Speaking of Ed's property, my friend and I had the pleasure of meeting him when our car got stuck farther west on Oswego rd near the cranberry bogs. The pine flies were horrendous as we walked back to Ed's to ask for 2 shovels. He walked back with us and helped. This was the '69 or '70 era. The farm may have once had pigs and chickens but when we were there, he was raising turkeys and so to this day I refer to it as the "turkey farm"

Dennis2
The trails you speak of are old motorcycle enduro trails that don't lead anywhere in particular or anything interesting. They usually parallel a road and come back out or come out on a crossroad. You will occasionally see bikes still enjoying them but they are not used by the enduro clubs any longer and are quickly overgrowing.
Tomorrow's big plan is to find that state corner that Teegate mentioned and to kill some time with the dog on one of these trails. I'm a little disappointed that they don't lead anywhere, but it's interesting to know how they came about!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There may not be a monument there. It may be an iron rod sticking up an inch, or there may be nothing at all to find. Most likely nothing at all.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are these searchable online? I checked the Burlington County Clerk Office's website. They have pre-1964 property records, but it appears that you need to know names to shift through it all. Am I even close?
Are these searchable online? I checked the Burlington County Clerk Office's website. They have pre-1964 property records, but it appears that you need to know names to shift through it all. Am I even close?

They are searchable but most of the lots don't have any info.

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
There may not be a monument there. It may be an iron rod sticking up an inch, or there may be nothing at all to find. Most likely nothing at all.
An iron rod would be cool. I'll bring a metal detector. But why would you think that there might be nothing? You could fill whole books with what I don't know about surveying, but I would think that a "modern" (late-1960's) survey would require some sort of pin or marker just as a verification.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Be careful not to leave your property with the detector. Especially since you just mentioned it :)

• Wow

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, I forgot to mention the paper road at the top where I have typed EG2 is called Stafford Ave. The one below that is Warrick Ave, and the one just above the clearing is Holden Ave. So Dennis, you are between Warrick and Holden.

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
BTW, I forgot to mention the paper road at the top where I have typed EG2 is called Stafford Ave. The one below that is Warrick Ave, and the one just above the clearing is Holden Ave. So Dennis, you are between Warrick and Holden.
Nice!! I'm gonna be able to put up a mailbox soon!
They sure had that whole area gridded out for a big plan. I need to find that map for the Rowland Estates.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just learned something else. The slightly larger lot south of there along the road (Block 101 Lot 3) was acquired by Bass River in 2017 by foreclosure. The last known owner was a Jacob Weiss and the deed was made on 5/28/1910. Yes, 1910.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I found something on Rowland Estates. Let me look it over. Looks interesting.

Reactions: dennis2

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
I just learned something else. The slightly larger lot south of there along the road (Block 101 Lot 3) was acquired by Bass River in 2017 by foreclosure. The last known owner was a Jacob Weiss and the deed was made on 5/28/1910. Yes, 1910.
My Onx Hunt app lists that as owned by Nathan Weiss, who has a New Gretna address. (This app apparently is very slow to update ownership.) One of my plans was to reach out to him and other people in this area who own property to see if they would like to share their stories. Id like to hear one that goes back to 1910!!!!!!!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Rowland Estates is 3565 acres in Bass River. It was owned by Henry Rowland. On January 31, 1901 his estate sold the property to Appleby & Wood Company at 46 cents on the price Rowland purchased it for. Then it appears Appleby started swindling people.

It is a long and confusing article.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dennis,

Have you explored any distance from your property? Find anyone interesting near your property?

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
I've driven through that area a bit and I've done a little hiking around there but not as much as I want to. Last weekend's plans to get there got put on hold, and this weekend we're taking the Boy Scout troop on a bike hike from Carranza to Oswego Lake. Going to check out the CCC camp ruins while we're there.
Maybe next weekend!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Going to check out the CCC camp ruins while we're there.
Maybe next weekend!!!

Make sure you go on both sides of the road. See what you think about what appears to be a tower foundation. Maybe a water tower.

IMG_2488a.jpg

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
That's pretty cool! I was thinking to fan the boys out and maybe get them tp try to draw up a map. Might be interesting.

Am I correct in thinking that these guys dammed the Oswego to make the lake? I seem to remember seeing this posted on here a while ago.