Sep 17, 2002
Two choices.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One possible way is to review video footage from someone's home around the time of each fire and if a vehicle is viewed near each location they have a match. It is getting easy to do that when homeowners offer up video footage to the police.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have no idea what happened in this case, but I just read an article about how law enforcement is doing this with things such as doorbell cameras that constantly film the street in front. I think that court orders can compel the companies that offer this (such as Amazon, Google, etc) to provide video. Or if not, then there are plenty of govt sources of security camera footage.

It used to be that we had some anonymity because nobody could possibly sift through such a mountain of data. But computers with AI software can crunch away at it 24/7. There are also license plate scanners all over the place that constantly harvest the license number of every passing car. I posted about that awhile ago, it's not just in big cities, small towns in NJ are doing it too.

So, at least in theory, they might see what cars were in the vicinity of each fire around the time it started based on license numbers and/or image recognition, then see if there are any correlations.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJCoastal

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Most likely he did not even think that the filters could be used to catch him.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Nice work, meanwhile over the river...

Screenshot 2022-02-09 at 4.13.30 PM - Edited.png