Winslow Area

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Do any of you know what this land just north of Winslow Junction is being used for? Very curious design.

1663512337963.png

Reactions: stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
It appears to be this, based on some quick searching:

More info:

Pretty interesting. I'm not sure if this is open to the public or not.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
I find it hard to believe the PR team called this rich man's estate "the largest organic farm east of the Mississippi" when I don't see any crops. My guess is it's a Christmas Tree farm, rich people use them to avoid paying property taxes a lot. I am glad that he cleaned up the quarry and the trash, but it's typical aristocrat philanthropy that he wants to be considered a hero for buying cheap polluted land and turning it into his private dog park.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Now the old Ancora residences to the west of the same maps looks like an award worthy reclamation

So, what was that development and what happened to it? Something associated with the hospital? It is there in the 1980's thru 2007, then gone in 2010. Never noticed that before.

I have driven past that Winslow Farms place for many years and wondered what it was, it looks very out-of-place to me.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
So, what was that development and what happened to it? Something associated with the hospital? It is there in the 1980's thru 2007, then gone in 2010. Never noticed that before.

I have driven past that Winslow Farms place for many years and wondered what it was, it looks very out-of-place to me.
I believe that development was built in the thirties as part of the government work programs. At one point I know they housed the people who worked at Ancora since my grandparents lived in there at one point. The houses were all condemned in the mid 90’s and later torn down.

Reactions: TommyP and Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Looks like he took some nice habitat and turned it into a dumb grassy park.
Not really. He purchased multiple clay pits scattered throughout that area that had evolved into dumping grounds and created some of the best retriever training grounds in the country.

Since this is still America, for now, people can buy land and do things like that. I have been to a few trials on those grounds and I also remember what those places were like before he bought them. It was a big improvement.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
created some of the best retriever training grounds in the country.

A good friend and his brother are hardcore bird hunters, both upland and water. They rented some time at this place to train their prized Labrador and German Shorthaired Pointers. It is actually a very nice set up for any training.

I forgot which certification they were aiming for with the Lab. I know whatever it was the pup failed the last time around. I think only five out of twelve dogs passed. Their dog failed because she didn't retrieve the bird in a direct line. She is a water dog and didn't want to get muddy going through a puddle. So she went around!