DEP Announces Virtual Public Meeting to Launch Wharton State Forest Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I deleted some posts. I was thinking the discussion was at a different location and was way off.

Reactions: bobpbx

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
I was out there, they did Deadfall in the front of entrances like smoke jumper has said ,On first beach and before and after the bridge. They also spread as they described seedlings.

Attachments

• PXL_20220924_143520540.jpg
    PXL_20220924_143520540.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20220924_160333263.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220924_160333263.MP.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 94

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Well I drove through there yesterday. It was pretty much what I expected. Deadfall piled up to block off areas. Mostly in the grassy area after the bridge.

Apologies if this was elaborated on and I missed it, but the areas that were blocked off, were they existing roads?

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
In my opinion the spots that were blocked after the bridge were more used as parking areas. It was obvious they dont want you to park there. they did not block the actual road ( Quaker bridge rd) .

Reactions: NJChileHead

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Apologies if this was elaborated on and I missed it, but the areas that were blocked off, were they existing roads?
Sorry I should have been more clear. To the best of my knowledge no roads were blocked. I was just passing through and noticed deadfall and small branches spread out in areas that weren’t last week. I didn’t really spend much time there.

Reactions: NJChileHead

TheChairman

Aug 16, 2022
Browns Mills
Wanted to chime in and say I went to the 130 clean up at Whispering Pines. We did much of the same. Dragging deadfall across the trails. As an ORV enthusiast, that area did look like it was in need of some mitigation. There is a small bog there that has been ridden fairly hard and was starting to turn to sand. The overwhelming opinion was that they were keeping ORVs out. Where I come from, it's just regular trail maintenance you have to do from time to time or you end up with nothing but sand pits and whoops.

Call it conservation, call it trail maintenance, just dont tell them we showed up for a reason and participated or they might get cranky and stop helping us maintain the ORV areas. :D

I'll be logged in tomorrow for the meeting.

Reactions: TommyP

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Not much to see. No public comments on the decision-making taken. Simply a demonstration of the survey and mapping tool, which opens tomorrow morning at 9AM and will be open for 30 days. Public comment on the idea of an access plan, permitting system, etc will supposedly be addressed at an unspecified future meeting.

Reactions: TommyP

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My daughter and brother could not access it on their iPad. So I expect many just gave up. Plus, I know some people had viewing parties of two or more.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Attendance was abysmal. Teams is also abysmal.

It sounds like requiring permits to use the "unimproved roads" (whatever they are) are almost a foregone conclusion on the State's end. This isn't going to end well for we, the proletariats. :(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When the problems keep occurring, which they will, the permit system will be toast.