Blind Boat And A Blind

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

While corresponding with bobpbx about a location we were interested in, he noticed a duck blind on Bing along the Sleeper Branch. We discussed going there but we would not be able to get there together for a few weeks. With the pines being dry, and the possibility of some serious rain coming in the next two or three weeks, I felt today was the best time to get there. If we did not do it now it may be next September before it would be dry enough to get there semi easily.

I looked the photo over closely and also noticed what looked like a boat near the blind, possibly one that they would use to get to it if the area was flooded. So my goal today was to look for both of them and examine anything else I saw along the route. Here is the Bing map showing the blind and what appears to be a boat.

boat.jpg

Since Rockwood Road is so dry, I was easily able to get my car past all the usual flooded areas making my walk somewhat shorter. This is the location where the huge puddle is, and people are riding in the meadow.

IMG_5688.JPG

Far off the road I found this location where someone really was stuck.

IMG_5649.JPG

I stood in it. This is another location that needs to be watched.

IMG_5650.JPG

Hunting on the cheap.

IMG_5651.JPG

As I moved closer to the Sleeper it was obvious that beavers are king and own all of that river. As dry as it is there are places flooded that should not be. This was full of water, and my route to the blind. Very tough going, and it was hot!

IMG_5653.JPG

My first view of the blind.

IMG_5655.JPG

Almost on the porch.

IMG_5656.JPG

On the porch.

IMG_5657.JPG

Home Sweet Home. Don't sit on the seat!

IMG_5659.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

IMG_5671.JPG

Then off to find the boat. Unfortunately, it is not there.

IMG_5669.JPG

I made it to the Sleeper and as you can see beavers have made dams every 100 feet or so controlling the water in all locations.

IMG_5673.JPG

IMG_5680.JPG

Full of water that you can't see. A few locations went over my boots.

IMG_5684.JPG

Guy

Reactions: John and MuckSavage

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am glad I went now. That is why they needed a boat.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't think I ever saw this post Guy. Ron pointed it out to me today. So Gabe and Jeff also knew about this too, but we all have short memories.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
:p I just watched it. You are lucky it was not mid-July. You'd of been eaten alive and sweating profusely.

My immediate senior, the state botanist, told me of a time 2 years ago in Sandy Hook when he went into the phragmites a quarter mile on a hot day. Very thick and narrow. When he turned to go out, the broken stems at the base of those he plowed through on the way in were cutting his legs with every step.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I don't think I ever saw this post Guy. Ron pointed it out to me today. So Gabe and Jeff also knew about this too, but we all have short memories.
speak for yourself, old fart

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx and Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There used to be a boat stashed right about here, along with a few dozen decoys.
I used to hunt and hike back there before you-know-who closed West Mill Road and cut off a few thousand or so acres of public land from public access.
It still infuriates me and always will.

Yeah, we were at that area on a pbx trip. The long beaver dam.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
The first image in this thread reminded me how awesome Bird's Eye View (45 degree oblique low-altitude aerial photography) was in Live/Bing Maps, more than a decade ago.

It looks like the feature is still in the product, but the coverage has been dramatically reduced. Is there anywhere in or near the pines with coverage anymore? I had a look here dropping in some nearby coords but it really didn't answer my question. It looks like it was, or is, a product from Vexcel. Know anything else about this, Boyd?

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sorry, don't know anything about that. I am actually a registered Bing developer and put their maps on my site briefly when I started. But after reading all their terms and conditions, I decided I didn't want to have anything to do with Microsoft.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The first image in this thread reminded me how awesome Bird's Eye View (45 degree oblique low-altitude aerial photography) was in Live/Bing Maps, more than a decade ago.

It looks like the feature is still in the product, but the coverage has been dramatically reduced. Is there anywhere in or near the pines with coverage anymore? I had a look here dropping in some nearby coords but it really didn't answer my question. It looks like it was, or is, a product from Vexcel. Know anything else about this, Boyd?
There is a trick to see them. In some places use their maps. Then, right click on the aerial and you will see if birdseye is available for that area. Try the woods behind the big sand mine off Lacey Road. Look at the east beach in Bamber.

Reactions: stiltzkin

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Also, if you go into NJPB Maps, Satellite view, and move the map over to where Jackson Rd crosses the Mullica River, and then zoom in, the image will turn to 'bird eye'. But I don't get it in Bing Maps.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Also, if you go into NJPB Maps, Satellite view, and move the map over to where Jackson Rd crosses the Mullica River, and then zoom in, the image will turn to 'bird eye'. But I don't get it in Bing Maps.
I've seen that look before Ron. I see that as a digital rendering. Looks good, but not camera quality. Or maybe still done with a camera, but enhanced. Not as good as birdseye in my opinion.