warm weather

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Sorry you missed a very nice afternoon around here. I don't believe we got any measurable rain; it was sprinkling very lightly at times during the morning but the sun was peeking in and out of clouds in the afternoon. The porch thermometer said 67, but really it felt warmer than that. :)

The same here. Spent Sunday afternoon until after dark exploring in Winslow WMA. Warm and cloudy with a little sprinkle of rain, what a nice day.

Oct 25, 2006
:D only one good thing to say so far for today,the sun popped out for a half an hour,back to dull and dreary,awaiting wednesday's temps.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
No sun here today, I was hoping for some sunshine tomorrow but the NWS dashed those hopes with mostly cloudy skies.
Wednsday looks to be the best day in awhile, clear skies, sunshine, and temps remaining below freezing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
:D only one good thing to say so far for today

What's not to like about a day in the 60's? :) Unfortunately I was at work inside in Philadelphia so I couldn't get out and enjoy it. I guess you enjoy driving through the snow and paying higher heating bills. I lived in upstate NY for many years and the winters there were brutal. I've had my fill of snow and subzero weather for a lifetime - that's one reason I enjoy living in NJ, the winters are always comparatively mild because of the ocean.

Yeah, I do like to see the days getting longer. Sunset is almost back to 5:00 PM again!

Oct 25, 2006
What's not to like about a day in the 60's? :) Unfortunately I was at work inside in Philadelphia so I couldn't get out and enjoy it. I guess you enjoy driving through the snow and paying higher heating bills. I lived in upstate NY for many years and the winters there were brutal. I've had my fill of snow and subzero weather for a lifetime - that's one reason I enjoy living in NJ, the winters are always comparatively mild because of the ocean.

Yeah, I do like to see the days getting longer. Sunset is almost back to 5:00 PM again!

:D i cannot imagine what it would be like to live in the buffalo area with the lake affect snow,the oil gurus aren't to happy this year,one little snowstorm isn't that bad?daylight savings time

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Actually I lived in Sterling NY about 2 miles from Lake Ontario, which is a few hours East of Buffalo.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...76.59668&spn=0.569934,1.138458&t=h&iwloc=addr

I worked at the State University in Oswego, and the lake effect snow there is amazing. It was fun for a few years. I remember waking up one December morning about 3 months after moving there to learn we had 60 inches of snow overnight! All I could see of my car was a little bump from the roof!

Lake effect snow is very light and airy however, so a 60" accumulation settles and compacts to only 30" the next day. But it also blows and drifts like crazy, making it difficult to keep your driveway clear for long. Fortunately we had a neighbor with a big machine to clear our driveway (we lived way out in the country). They do a terrific job keeping the roads clear, but the drifts keep covering it over. Nevertheless, I don't think my daughter missed more than 4 or 5 days of school all the way from grades k-8 when we lived there. Everyone learns how to deal with it. After about 12 years though, I had my fill.

I know some of the OPEC members aren't happy about oil prices, but high costs aren't necessarily that good for the oil companies either. I own some oil stocks, and can't really complain too much.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just returned from a night time walk. Now I know the cold weather is coming, but this is just unreal. Almost 11PM here and it's 63 degrees outside. There were colder nights than this last summer! Oh well it was fun while it lasted, I'm ready to bundle up again... the NWS says
THE WEATHER PATTERN OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC HAS CHANGED. THIS HAS
MADE IT EASIER FOR COLD AIR MASSES TO FORM OVER CANADA AND TO AT
LEAST ENTER THE UNITED STATES. THE LATEST CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER
SIX TO FOURTEEN DAY OUTLOOK FOR OUR AREA IS CALLING FOR TEMPERATURES
TO AVERAGE COLDER THAN NORMAL. SO UNLIKE BRIEF SPELLS OF COLD
WEATHER WE HAVE HAD SO FAR THIS WINTER, THIS ONE IS EXPECTED TO BE
WITH US FOR A WHILE.

Oct 25, 2006

Yeah, I do like to see the days getting longer. Sunset is almost back to 5:00 PM again![/quote

yeah,those winters up there were brutal,i can see your point totally about not having to live through that again,that's too much,it gets to be old hat,there were some winters in the 50' here that were nasty,temps in the teens,snow on the ground most of the winter,and it is driving here in that stuff is no fun.it is a well known what just 2" of snow does to philly,shut down.in my opinion though i do think that nj does a hell alot better job in snow removal than around here.the city says they plow everyone's street,can't prove it by me.but,what can compare to a more pictureque,scenic sight,than the pine barrens,especially driving down rt.539,rt.72,stage road(tuckerton),than a snow covered,forested environment.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I worked at the State University in Oswego, and the lake effect snow there is amazing...

I worked on and off one summer at the power plant on the lake (Nine Mile Point). The guys who stayed for the winter said the lake effect snow was incredible. Never had the pleasure myself.
The ocean usually keeps us milder in Jersey, but not quite as warm as it's been this year.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Cool. My boss' wife was a radiation technician at the Fitzpatrick nuke plant there, and one Sunday she took me on a private tour. We wandered all over that place and it was deserted, only a few people working in the whole plant. It was a fascinating, and very scary experience that I'll never forget. The reality is that those plants aren't the kind of high tech place most people think they are. They're big "plumbers nightmares" with leaky pipes everywhere. The scariest (and coolest) thing was the eerie blue glow from the spent fuel rods stored in the bottom of a deep pool at the top of the dome.

Sorry to drag this thread so far off topic....

Oct 25, 2006
:D as an thought to the new weather pattern,i work the night shift for a major food company(10.00 p.m.to 6.30 p.m.)had to spend a little time outside last night,the temperature in the refrigerated warehouse is in the 28 to 32 degree range,all the talk last night was about we could not wait to go back inside,windy until early morning,beside the cold,when the people started to come in for day work,the temperature was 21 degrees.well it had to hit sometime!!!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's 26 outside at my place, but the night is young... supposed to get down into the teens. Heh, just checked the thermometer in the living room... 94 degrees... better let the woodstove die down for awhile! :)

Oct 25, 2006
:D when you lived in n.y.,did you get a lot of sub-zero weather?also,when i scanned your map where you lived in sterling,i could not help but notice the familiar names of oswego and ellisburg.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, it was COLD there in the winter, pipes had to be buried around 4' or 5' to be under the frostline IIRC. But the wind and snow were more of a problem than the cold. One cool thing was that you could see the Northern Lights in the right conditions though. I also lived in Maine for a year... so I've really had enough cold climates. :)

Indian names like Oswego can be found in a lot of places, I believe there's a Lake Oswego in Oregon also.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's a forecast for you winter weather lovers :) Looks like I might be right on that 2" line...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
305 PM EST SUN JAN 21 2007

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS
EVENING TO 6 AM EST MONDAY.

PERIODS OF SNOW IS EXPECTED TONIGHT, WHICH MAY VARY IN INTENSITY.
AREAS OF FREEZING DRIZZLE ARE EXPECTED LATER TONIGHT AND EARLY
MONDAY MORNING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF A COATING TO AN INCH
ARE ANTICIPATED NORTH OF A LINE GENERALLY FROM READING TO
WILMINGTON TO ATLANTIC CITY. SOUTH OF THIS LINE, A TOTAL OF UP TO
2 INCHES OF SNOW IS ANTICIPATED. THESE SNOW AMOUNTS SHOULD BE
TOPPED WITH A THIN COATING OF ICE LATER TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY
MORNING.

Oct 25, 2006
:rolleyes: 2" to 3" of snow starting sunday night to 6 a.m.-to 9 a.m. monday morning as per channel 10 news,snow showers as per kyw news.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ugh, I hope they're wrong... I have to be in Philadelphia at 8:00AM to load the scenery for Porgy and Bess into the Academy of Music.

We got about 3" of snow here last Monday, but it all melted with yesterday's warm weather.

Here's the National Weather Service version:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
600 AM EST SUN JAN 28 2007

SNOW SHOWERS ARE POSSIBLE TONIGHT, AND ISOLATED TO SCATTERED HEAVY
SNOW SHOWERS MAY DEVELOP. ANY AREA THAT EXPERIENCES SNOW SHOWERS
FOR A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TIME COULD SEE TWO INCHES OF SNOW, AND
ANY AREA THAT EXPERIENCES HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS FOR A SIGNIFICANT
AMOUNT OF TIME COULD SEE A SIGNIFICANTLY GREATER ACCUMULATION.
THERE IS NOT A HIGH DEGREE OF CONFIDENCE IN THIS FORECAST.

WIND CHILL VALUES WILL DROP TO NEAR 10 ABOVE TONIGHT ON NORTHWEST
WINDS OF 15 TO 30 MPH. IF SNOW SHOWERS DO DEVELOP, VISIBILITIES
WOULD DROP TO NEAR ONE-QUARTER MILE IN FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW.

But also notice this part: "THERE IS NOT A HIGH DEGREE OF CONFIDENCE IN THIS FORECAST"...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ugh, I hope they're wrong... I have to be in Philadelphia at 8:00AM to load the scenery for Porgy and Bess into the Academy of Music.

We got about 3" of snow here last Monday, but it all melted with yesterday's warm weather.

Better leave early to get there.

Guy