ticks

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I was wondering how the ticks are this year. I have been doing a lot of camping and fishing with the kids down here in VA. and have not seen a tick yet.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Here's the weird thing, I was walking down a road through a residential area, and didn't come in contact with any vegatation. Anyway I feel something crawling on my neck, grab it and it's a red tick. I guess it is true they will jump on you from the trees...

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Turkey hunting was OK since I had sprayed my camo w/ the REPEL brand permythrium from Wally world.

They are out in force as I witnessed several dead ones on my clothing while hunting and even showered off a dead one afterwards...But the spray worked none managed to last long enoigh to bite...

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
that REPEL brand PERMANONE from walmart is amazing.. i spary it all over my riding gear when i ride in the pine barrens .. boots, pants, and shirt.. no ticks and i've even walked through some brushy areas just to try it out :v: .. but DO NOT get it on your skin.. not sure what happens if you do, but i'm not trying it to find out.. :ninja:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I haven't had any tick problems whatsoever, and have gotten lazy... not even checking for them. But I've been wearing permethrin treated clothes also. Sometimes I notice them on my pants and brush them off. Every now and then one starts walking across my arm, but no bites. And recently I've been walking through waist high brush clearing some new trails on my property.

Permethrin aside, my impression is that there have been less ticks during the past week as compared to earlier in the season. Maybe they've peaked already?

How about chiggers? Anyone having problems with them yet? I have a few bites on my ankles the other day after walking through lots of underbrush and suspect they may be the culprits.

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
I havent seen any yet. (and hope it stays that way). Dont have any pets tho either.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I've gotten a few on me lately when all I've done is walk from the parking lot to my office. I could be picking them up by straying off the walkway a bit as my attention wanders or perhaps folks are bringing them in from the field and they are wandering around the building. In any case, it is a lesson to the non-nature types who believe that ticks are only picked up by venturing into the woods or taking part in outdoor activities.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I know a few members of this forum had trouble finding Permanone, or maybe don't often get to walmart (which I avoid like the plague!). A sales flyer I just got in the mail today reminded me of where we buy such things at our office. For those of you who like to do your shoppping at your keyboard or over the phone, check out Forestry Suppliers, Inc. at www.forestry-suppliers.com. Besides Permanone, they have all sorts of equipment, supplies and "toys" that anyone interested in this website would also appreciate.

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
The ticks were okay by me until this weekend, when three kids and three adults found ticks on themselves just from walking around my yard, and I found one in the house. Also, two or three chigger bites on my own legs, scratching as I type.

Oct 25, 2006
I know a few members of this forum had trouble finding Permanone, or maybe don't often get to walmart (which I avoid like the plague!). A sales flyer I just got in the mail today reminded me of where we buy such things at our office. For those of you who like to do your shoppping at your keyboard or over the phone, check out Forestry Suppliers, Inc. at www.forestry-suppliers.com. Besides Permanone, they have all sorts of equipment, supplies and "toys" that anyone interested in this website would also appreciate.

Just received mine from camp mor today, testing time this Saturday.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We were out yesterday (in Wharton) and brushed off quite a few of different species. My friend is a field guy with the Camden County Mosquito Commission, and he was having a lot of fun identifying them. I just wanted them gone. Anyway, brushed many off pants, but no bites. My friend said the heavy rain the night before had knocked them all to the ground.

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
Had a few more yesterday from walking out on the trail on my property. Don't know what kind they are - pretty big and with a marking on their backs.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Had a few more yesterday from walking out on the trail on my property. Don't know what kind they are - pretty big and with a marking on their backs.

Sounds like the lonestar tick. I've seen deer, dog, and lonestar ticks in the woods here.
Is this the tick you saw?
Lone_Star_Tick.gif

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow

Thanks for the info on Forestry Suppliers. I ordered Permanone last Thursday and it came in Tuesday's mail. I've never used it, I hope to try it out this weekend.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
we have not come across any of them up here in potter co. we don't miss them !

i watched the local f/m fox hunting little creatures in our wooded area this morning today