New Look

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

The new look seems to work fine with my Mac. I like the fact that it grows when you expand the window. Does that mean you would not mind wider photo's in the posts? For example a panoramic view.

Very nice!

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah - it does look great and the re-sizing is a nice feature. I have a 24" screen and a 22" screen on my desktop machine so wide is good :), but I agree that it's best to limit the width of inline images.

Also, there is another issue with inlines - threads take a long time to open when they have a lot of replies (especially when people quote the images themselves inadvertently). It's kind of annoying when you want to read a short reply from somebody and the thread scrolls to the first post while the images load. So I would vote for keeping inline images as small as possible and linking them to higher res versions. JMHO

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yeah, posting the thumbnail that the gallery makes should be fine. Posting anything larger than 700px wide should be frowned upon.

So, the best thing to do is to upload the photos to the gallery at the original size, and let the gallery handle the conversion to the proper size? I was going to do some tonite, so I want to ensure I have it right.

Boyd, I don't understand this comment...."keeping inline images as small as possible and linking them to higher res versions". How can you keep and online image as small as possible, yet link them to a higher resolution version? What do you mean?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, I usually watermark my images before I upload them, so in the process I resize them to 1024x768 on my PC. Then, I upload them to the gallery, which also makes thumbnails.

When you click on your picture in the gallery there are a number of links at the bottom for you to paste into a forum post to add the image.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes Bob - upload your photos to the gallery, then as Ben says you can copy the vB code in the box below (where it says "linked thumbnail") and paste it into your post, which will give you a small clickable photo like this:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes Bob - upload your photos to the gallery, then as Ben says you can copy the vB code in the box below (where it says "linked thumbnail") and paste it into your post, which will give you a small clickable photo like this:

Okay, now I understand........thanks.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, I prefer the "medium sized image" over "linked thumbnail" but whatever.

Like this one Ben?

watermark.php