Tuckerton Fish Factory

marshstomper

Jan 6, 2008
Folsom
wow. i had NO idea this trip would get such a huge response...hahah to the one question, it felt like FOREVER to canoe. the waters were like, moderately choppy...so i was super nervous of tipping. second question, not that smelly at all. lol if anybody knows a cool place to explore, we need a new place...i'm worried all the cool places now are in north jersey.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
That's a great read, thanks for posting it.

I never realized just how steeped in history the place is, the many changing of hands, the intricacy of the processes and the equipment. It continues to amaze me how industry especially in shore communities, affects and creates communities themselves. A lot revolved around this place that is just some old structure we all looked at on an island. My work has me very aware of industrial machinery and processes so the workings of factory equipment, especially dated stuff, blows me away. To read the processes involved and then see Stomper's pics of some of the same machines and put it together... very cool. Forget stink, the place must have been noisy as all hell. Even the other uses of the incinerators, necessity I guess. Even though very hard work was involved at all the levels, there must have been times that any given day it would be fascinating just to be a part of it.
Looks like the writer really put effort into the article. The way it starts though is like a recapturing of my youth, right down to Rand's.

g.

Keepsakeables

Oct 29, 2012
Hello! I've created a group on FB dedicated to The Fish Factory aka The Stinkhouse and I'd like to extend the invitation to join to everyone who would like to. Please keep it clean and share all your links/stories/pics.

Cheers!

Larry

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
A couple of weeks ago we were on Great Bay Blvd and the fish factory outline looked different. Ro's 600mm lens revealed the structure has come apart recently.
(Dom't ask why the image is 90 degrees rotated - It was .jpeg and that wouldn't load I found out, so this is .PDF but cockeyed. sigh.)

fish.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Boyd and h2ochild

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Teagate - MANY thanks! Now it's easy to view.
Some time ago one of our members urged people to stay away because the structure was structurally unsound. This picture shows how right he was.

LBIski

Jul 18, 2019
LBI
Back in the 80s, we used to water ski in the canals just to the east of the Fishery. One day we docked the boat and explored the place. There was paperwork (dating as recent as 1969) strewn all around. I just read that the facility ceased operation in 1969 and was closed in 1973 for good. It burned down (arson) in 1982. Coincidentally, we happended to explore the plant just after that fire.

Reactions: Boyd