Beer (again)

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
"My favorite "drinking" beer, when you just want to throw a bunch down with a freind or 2... Taste is above average for an American Lager and the price is the best feature..... $12.99 for a 30 pack"

Hell after a few big bears if I am to continue I turn to Keystone ice, its also my pizza beer of choice, cheap and 5.9 and smooth.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Right now I am enjoying an ice cold Winter Hook(Ale) from the Red Hook Brewery. It was in the discount cart at Canal's for $5.99/six. It tastes pretty damn good. Its got a little hop to it but not like a Sierra bite. Not even close.

Gabe the Witbier I tried at your place was something special. I forget the name of that Cali beer I tried in the short stubby bottle. That was really good too. I noticed the Pirate (Belgian) in Canal's. What's the deal with that one?

Bob- Cumberland Blues brother! tremendous! Nothing like sipping a beer and listening to the Dead man! I

Mar 10, 2008
Right now I am enjoying an ice cold Winter Hook(Ale) from the Red Hook Brewery. It was in the discount cart at Canal's for $5.99/six. It tastes pretty damn good. Its got a little hop to it but not like a Sierra bite. Not even close.

Gabe the Witbier I tried at your place was something special. I forget the name of that Cali beer I tried in the short stubby bottle. That was really good too. I noticed the Pirate (Belgian) in Canal's. What's the deal with that one?

Bob- Cumberland Blues brother! tremendous! Nothing like sipping a beer and listening to the Dead man! I

Pirat is good stuff. Not for the uninitiated. I take that back, it's good for everyone. I think its a trippel. Chimay may be a more easily drinkable trappist ale.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Chemicalcraig knows good brews! Tom Baker and his wife, Peggy Zwerver, of Heavyweight fame are back on the scene. As you probably know, in the great state of NJ, you either can bottle beer (Flying Fish) or have a brewpub (Tun Tavern, BasilT's,etc.). In NY and PA, you can do both. They first were going to relocate to Hyde Park, NY, but are now in the process of opening a brewpub at 7136 Germantown Ave in Mt. Airy, PA, between Chestnut Hill and Germantown. Just down the street from McMenamins. It is named Earth, Bread and Brewery. I know it will be a great spot as they are great hosts. Tom is considered in the trade as one of the finest brewers in the country. He loves the brews he makes and talking with people about them. This is what he has wanted for years, a brewpub. Looking forward to it!
http://www.earthbreadbrewery.com/

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
ChrisNJ said:
"My favorite "drinking" beer, when you just want to throw a bunch down with a freind or 2... Taste is above average for an American Lager and the price is the best feature..... $12.99 for a 30 pack"

Hell after a few big bears if I am to continue I turn to Keystone ice, its also my pizza beer of choice, cheap and 5.9 and smooth.

Chris, you are a complex dude.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Tom,

The Cali beer was "Hairy Eye Ball" from Lagunita's brewing. They also make a couple of beers in honor of Franky the Zappa. "Kill Ugly Radio" features an excellent array of Northwestern hops and "Lumpy Gravy" is a heavy-set malty delight, like "The Hairy Eyeball". Scott can attest to the excellency of both.

Piraat is a winner. Even better is Golden Draak which I had the pleasure of consuming a couple of nights ago.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Buttwiper = chemical preservatives + stale hops + rice +over-carbonation to mask the piss-like taste. Hell, I can't in good conscience even call it a beer. I imagine that when Anheuser and Busch came to the States from Germany all those years back, they brought with them some good recipes for some fine lagers. Things have changed since then. Ok, things have completely changed since then.

HEY!

No making fun of the brew taste of others. If you are going to act like a snobby connoisseur, we'll band together and make your eyes kind-of-sore.

I purchased two types of beer today at the whiting store. I'll let you know how they taste later tonite.

Mar 10, 2008
Chemicalcraig knows good brews! Tom Baker and his wife, Peggy Zwerver, of Heavyweight fame are back on the scene. As you probably know, in the great state of NJ, you either can bottle beer (Flying Fish) or have a brewpub (Tun Tavern, BasilT's,etc.). In NY and PA, you can do both. They first were going to relocate to Hyde Park, NY, but are now in the process of opening a brewpub at 7136 Germantown Ave in Mt. Airy, PA, between Chestnut Hill and Germantown. Just down the street from McMenamins. It is named Earth, Bread and Brewery. I know it will be a great spot as they are great hosts. Tom is considered in the trade as one of the finest brewers in the country. He loves the brews he makes and talking with people about them. This is what he has wanted for years, a brewpub. Looking forward to it!
http://www.earthbreadbrewery.com/

There's a McMenamins in PA?? I thought they were only in the NW. We have 3 in town here, one of which pinelandspaddler got so drunk at he peed his pants.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Okay my friends, what is this I am drinking tonite:

HARVEST2.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Forget about the beer, the real important items is behind it.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Tom,

The Cali beer was "Hairy Eye Ball" from Lagunita's brewing. They also make a couple of beers in honor of Franky the Zappa. "Kill Ugly Radio" features an excellent array of Northwestern hops and "Lumpy Gravy" is a heavy-set malty delight, like "The Hairy Eyeball". Scott can attest to the excellency of both.

I am beginning to think that the Lagunitas brews are the best beers I have had this century or the latter part of the last century.
How is that for an accolade? Or is that alcolade?
:)

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bobpbx said:
No making fun of the brew taste of others. If you are going to act like a snobby connoisseur, we'll band together and make your eyes kind-of-sore.

10-4!

andy, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I have nothing against those beer drinkers with different taste than my own. Some of my best friends drink buttwiper.

In other news, Bear Republic Brewing makes some excellent hoppy beers.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
There's a McMenamins in PA?? I thought they were only in the NW. We have 3 in town here, one of which pinelandspaddler got so drunk at he peed his pants.
McMenamins Tavern in Philadelphia is privately owned, one location, no connection. Bob, can't identify brew, but in a nice mug with too much head in front of a very nice "piney" wall. LOL.