The Two trees at Washington

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Sunday a week ago,(a great day to be in the woods), I took a ride through Batsto over to Washington. I took some pics of the two trees that are on either side of the Tuckerton road between the barn ruin and the large cellar hole on the way to Maxwell. These two seem much older than the surrounding trees. They also appear as if they were planted there(many years ago) as they are right on the edge of the road. I've always wondered if there was some reason for this or if it was completely random.

Two_Trees.jpg

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Those Buttonwoods (Sycamores).
Not native to the Pines but very common to former places of settlement. They were often planted for newly-wed couples. The two trees in the picture are probably around 200 years old.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Several of the large trees among the ruins at Friendship Bogs are American Elms. They are easily recognized this time of year by their vase shape growth habit. The Dutch Elm Disease has wiped out the species in other parts of the country but mainly where they were concentrated and the bark beetle that spreads the fungus can travel more easily from tree to tree. Isolated trees and populations survive in plenty of locations that are far enough from the diseased ones.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Several of the large trees among the ruins at Friendship Bogs are American Elms. They are easily recognized this time of year by their vase shape growth habit. The Dutch Elm Disease has wiped out the species in other parts of the country but mainly where they were concentrated and the bark beetle that spreads the fungus can travel more easily from tree to tree. Isolated trees and populations survive in plenty of locations that are far enough from the diseased ones.
I didn't have any idea. Thanks for that, I will be sure to look for them. :)

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Those Buttonwoods (Sycamores).
Not native to the Pines but very common to former places of settlement. They were often planted for newly-wed couples. The two trees in the picture are probably around 200 years old.

I should have guessed Buttonwoods. There are more in this general area. I've seen similar trees at Buttonwood Hill, (duh), and some near Herman. That's an interesting fact that trees, like these, were planted for newlyweds. Either way, they are not there by chance as they are not native. Thanx.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Sycamores and Buttonwoods

My dad and I had a big friendly argument once while driving through the woods. He commented--"Wow, look at the size of those sycamores!" I immediately corrected him, "Dad, they're buttonwoods, not sycamores!" From there we went back and forth insisting we were right. When we got home, I looked up "Sycamore" in the dictionary, and it read "See Buttonwood"! We both had a great laugh over that one! :rofl:

My dad and I had a big friendly argument once while driving through the woods. He commented--"Wow, look at the size of those sycamores!" I immediately corrected him, "Dad, they're buttonwoods, not sycamores!" From there we went back and forth insisting we were right. When we got home, I looked up "Sycamore" in the dictionary, and it read "See Buttonwood"! We both had a great laugh over that one! :rofl:

Hey, Furball—welcome back!! I haven’t seen you around these parts for about six months or more!! I hope you’ve been well!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I took a ride to the Rancocas Nature Center after work today. What a great little spot. Thanx for the tip BEHR. Didn't do much hiking because I want to bring the kids back with me. They'll love this place.

BEHR:
Is the tree you're referring to right in front of the visitor center? This tree must be 250-300 yrs. old. It's huge!

Rancocas_Nature_Center.jpg

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Hey, Furball—welcome back!! I haven’t seen you around these parts for about six months or more!! I hope you’ve been well!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks, Jerseyman. To be honest, and this is in all sincerity, reading this site has made me extremely homesick for The Pines. Although we are here in Florida to stay, I do miss those places I called home. Really, I would have to hear the voice of God Himself telling me to move back "home". My heart and my emotions get the best of me sometimes when I wish we could move back. Wisdom, however, dictates otherwise. My family is here, my wife and I have great jobs, and we do enjoy it here. But, Florida is not really "home". I have many molecules of "The Pines" in my bloodstream still. So, I don't know if I have made myself clear...maybe my feelings can be likened to having an affair with an old girldfriend while you're married...so I had to break the affair off for a while. Alas! I am back! It is, for me, a very bittersweet endeavor to read all the posts, wishing all the while that I could be there. Thanks for welcoming me. P.S. The ghost town of "Washington" was always a favorite place for me. G. Washington, too, is my favorite historical figure. So, when I saw the post, I was intrigued. Back to the "affair"!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks, Jerseyman. To be honest, and this is in all sincerity, reading this site has made me extremely homesick for The Pines. Although we are here in Florida to stay, I do miss those places I called home. Really, I would have to hear the voice of God Himself telling me to move back "home". My heart and my emotions get the best of me sometimes when I wish we could move back. Wisdom, however, dictates otherwise. My family is here, my wife and I have great jobs, and we do enjoy it here. But, Florida is not really "home". I have many molecules of "The Pines" in my bloodstream still. So, I don't know if I have made myself clear...maybe my feelings can be likened to having an affair with an old girldfriend while you're married...so I had to break the affair off for a while. Alas! I am back! It is, for me, a very bittersweet endeavor to read all the posts, wishing all the while that I could be there. Thanks for welcoming me. P.S. The ghost town of "Washington" was always a favorite place for me. G. Washington, too, is my favorite historical figure. So, when I saw the post, I was intrigued. Back to the "affair"!!!

Wow! Your post shows how important the pines are to so many people. It must be bittersweet checking in each time. I feel sorry for you having to deal with that.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow

Hey Furball,
Good to see you back on! Also saw your other post on the Washington area. That area is fairly close to home and I take a lot of solo hikes there. Lately I stick to the trails, not much bushwacking (hip problems). If you ever visit these parts, let us (Tom M. & I ) know. It would be great to share a trail again in the pines.
Greg

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Hey Greg

Thanks, Greg. I will let you know. I'm trying to get up your way for business. BTW, I sent you a private message. Keep in touch! Dave

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
A Photo

I have a prized possession on my piano---a picture of me and my bride-to-be sitting on a fallen gray barkless pine, posing for my Minolta SRT-102 auto-shutter in September of 1976--and where is it? Just off of Washington Rd.!!! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a prized possession on my piano---a picture of me and my bride-to-be sitting on a fallen gray barkless pine, posing for my Minolta SRT-102 auto-shutter in September of 1976--and where is it? Just off of Washington Rd.!!! :)

If you come home here do a "Then and Now." Find the location, drag a log to it, and take a photo.

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
If you come home here do a "Then and Now." Find the location, drag a log to it, and take a photo.

Guy

Hey Guy---I will keep that in mind, a great idea. Imagine if a Ranger saw me dragging a huge fallen pine--I can read the headlines now: "Florida Man Drags Tree for Photo Op, Arrested for Treenapping" !!!! LOL!!!