Coyote puppies

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I mostly heard howling from my yard. Occasionally I heard some yelps but not as a sizable group. A few years back I was fishing in Lebanon SF and heard them as a group in the manner you are referring to. It was very loud. I understand what you mean. It is an amazing sound to witness.

Jeff

Mar 1, 2008
coyote mountain is a good place to hear them at night. (it's near chatsworth)

early in the morning, one of them walked right through our campsite, so watch yourself.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Coyote Range

I cannot site the specific references, I am sure someone can find a map somewhere showing the migration of the coyote out of its former range,but I have lived long enough to know that Coyotes ARE NOT INDIGENOUS to NJ. Their territory has spread from the west heading north, south, and east. They are interfering with other indigenous predators, like the gray fox and would probably love to kill a fox as well. (Red Fox was introduced from Europe). They are predators who love cats and small dogs for a meal. They will eat anything. Even humans, judging from the article cited. One could argue "Well, wolves once inhabited NJ". Yes, hundreds of years ago, prior to extensive human settlement, wiped out by humans in fear for their lives, I am sure. I would not want to encounter a coyote hiking alone on a trail; for that matter I have encountered dog-packs in the PB's and that was very unsettling. Is there a hunting season for Coyotes? If not, there should be, and probably will be when their numbers climb. They are a fantastic, surviving predator that is successfully spreading to areas where it does not belong. Still, I will admit, they are beautiful. But then again, I think sharks are graceful, too! LOL!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I cannot site the specific references, I am sure someone can find a map somewhere showing the migration of the coyote out of its former range,but I have lived long enough to know that Coyotes ARE NOT INDIGENOUS to NJ. Their territory has spread from the west heading north, south, and east. They are interfering with other indigenous predators, like the gray fox and would probably love to kill a fox as well. (Red Fox was introduced from Europe). They are predators who love cats and small dogs for a meal. They will eat anything. Even humans, judging from the article cited. One could argue "Well, wolves once inhabited NJ". Yes, hundreds of years ago, prior to extensive human settlement, wiped out by humans in fear for their lives, I am sure. I would not want to encounter a coyote hiking alone on a trail; for that matter I have encountered dog-packs in the PB's and that was very unsettling. Is there a hunting season for Coyotes? If not, there should be, and probably will be when their numbers climb. They are a fantastic, surviving predator that is successfully spreading to areas where it does not belong. Still, I will admit, they are beautiful. But then again, I think sharks are graceful, too! LOL!

there is a coyote hunting season.
Perhaps due to an abundant food supply (deer) the coyote populations in the pinebarrrens have never posed a threat to humans. They also seem to be maintaining there inherient fear of humans and are infrequently seen. I recall seeing a picture of Joe Albert with a string of skinned fox and one or two coyote, I am not certain but I think the picture was taken in the 50's if not earlier (PBXBob was with me when I saw this pic, maybe he can remember the date).

Jeff

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
the eastern coyote is the biggest of the species and thats what we have here in new jersey. i have seen them many times but more so in the past 6 or 7 years.they arent all that hard to find. from what i see there all not all that fearful of man... but generally avoid. they pounce on the fawns this time of year .most states have a year round hunting seasons on them .i have herd packs chasing deer in the pines.i predict the numbers will rise. where i live in monmouth county they are adapting.even been spotted eating scraps off the beaches.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
the eastern coyote is the biggest of the species and thats what we have here in new jersey. i have seen them many times but more so in the past 6 or 7 years.they arent all that hard to find. from what i see there all not all that fearful of man... but generally avoid. they pounce on the fawns this time of year .most states have a year round hunting seasons on them .i have herd packs chasing deer in the pines.i predict the numbers will rise. where i live in monmouth county they are adapting.even been spotted eating scraps off the beaches.

I agree they seem curious when we do come into contact with them, but I don't know if that denotes a lack of fear of man. I say they seem to be maintaining that fear because they have not moved into populated areas in the pines (garbage cans, yards) that I know of. Hopefully that behavior never becomes common place in the barrens. Obviously that is not the case elsewhere.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
I have a feeling the coyotes of new jersey will become similar to bears in virginia and north jersey. If you go camping in some parts of virginia bears are not one bit afraid of man and get really comfortable. I'm thinking it could happen with coyotes here in new jersey but i'm not so sure.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
coy dogs?

I just finished readin Paul Rezendes's book "Tracking and the Art of Seeing" and he states that according to biological studies that pups from coyote and dog breeding are always not viable(Their sterile and can't continue the line) where as coyote and wolf breedings do happen and the pups are viable.He says that claims that the eastern coyote which is larger then the western are not coyote dog crosses but possibly they do carry wolf genes.I've say half a dozen so far and one at about 20 ft for a good 3 minutes we stared at each other before he loped off into the sunset and while i saw nothing of the domestic dog in him he did have a certain wolfishness to him.He was very tall and quite long and maybe went 60 lb or better.He had yellow wolf like eyes and I swore he was smiling at me.
Al

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
for those of you that think that the coyotes are the problem , its not them that is the problem its us a humans . same with the deer , bear and what ever else they say that is over populated .... I travel the parkway from north jerysey every day and on the meadian around exit 100 south bound there must be 30 deer living on it now is that fare to the wildlife that every time they turn around there is a dozer getten ready to just mow their woods down and build houses ,stores and whatever ... dont get me wrong im not a hippy im a hunter .... I just hope that my kids will be able to experince the woods and wildlife like i had when i was growing up ......

If humans are the problem what is the solution?

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
when an animal becomes overpopulated it gets a new disease or epidemic to kill it to lessen the population humans however find cures for those epidemics and that explains why the animals have no space. Its a ghood and a bad thing for us humans to have cures for things.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
.... I travel the parkway from north jerysey every day and on the meadian around exit 100 south bound there must be 30 deer living on it ......
if you look a little harder you will see that there are under roadways going to those parkway islands. some may live there but they are not trapt in there. hunting is the only conservation tool that works.