Old Bridge Pine Barrens?

• Thread starter reginacardone@comcast.net
  • Start date
R

reginacardone@comcast.net

I need some help figuring out what parks, preserves, or trails there is near Old Bridge. Its not a long trip from the city and I see there are some woods near "Water Works" including a beautiful lake there known as tennant pond, this is on the west side of route 9, then there is one further south off route 18. This is much closer than I thought, I figured I'd have to go further south. But according to the maps at live.local there is plenty of pines in Old Bridge. I just want to make sure I am going to public property.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
When I was a student in New Brunswick we went on several local field trips to see pine barrens vegetation. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember all the sites we visited, considering that is was almost 30 years ago. I do remember going to Jamesburg Park, which was partly in East Brunswick. Many people are surprised at how far north fingers and isolated pockets of pine barrens can be found in the state. There's not a simple and convenient line you can draw delineating the barrens and it certainly doesn't follow the boundaries of the Pinelands National Reserve.

AJ1957

Scout
Apr 18, 2008
FWIW I talked to a buddy of mine from the area. He said it's gated and posted private property. The area in question may be a little more accessible toward Rt 18. You could try entering from Rt 516 to see how far north you can venture.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
In the 1980's Jersey Concrete had a plant off River road in Old Bridge. I worked for them in Toms River, but they would send us in to that plant when they were busy. I remember going into a project that was some type of water plant or damn. I had never saw woods like this before in this area. It WAS an isolated section of the pine barrens, complete with old railroad bridges, abandoned houses and gravel and sandy trails. It was quite a long time ago,but we entered off Bordentown- Amboy Rd. into a trail that was normally gated. I will try to link up a map later.
Tom

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
There is large forests of pine in Old Bridge. I am familure with the area. Its refered as the Runyon Watershed. I believe some of it is owned by the Perth Amboy water authority. And as some one said above, there are areas of pine forest that extend up into Monroe, East Brunswick, spotswood, Marlboro & Sayreville. There is also a large area in Hazlet called Natco Lake Park. Pines are usually easy to spot on the satellite photos because they are darker in color. Specially in the fall and winter months.
Some good ways to get in is off RT 516, down the end of Jake Brown Rd, behind Blonder Tounge (its a factory) and also the other end of Jake Brown Rd off of RT 9. Site of the old nike base.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Whats the story with Staten Island? Can people who live there claim New York City status? Is in an undesirable place to live? Wasn't there a huge dump there?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Whats the story with Staten Island? Can people who live there claim New York City status? Is in an undesirable place to live? Wasn't there a huge dump there?

Staten Island is one of the five boroughs of New York City. There's Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. Usually people identify themselves by what borough they're from. From what I've seen, people usually only say they live in New York City when they talk to people from outside the area.

If you're talking mailing addresses, I believe it's only Manhattan addresses that say New York City.

And yes, there were, and still are many garbage dumps there.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Great Kills land fill is probably what your thinking of. It is still active as far as I know, easily found and seen with Google Earth, it is on the western side of SI, RT 440 splits it. This is where they took the debris and the remains from the WTC after 9/11.

P

PitchPineJohn

Gipsie, I usually go to the Long Island ones because they are closer, but I've been to almost every preserve on Long Island and want to check out some new places. Long Island has some nice places though, including dwarf pine plains in Westhampton and some beautiful ponds in the Flanders area with Atlantic White Cedar stands.
Its why I want to check out the Old Bridge area as its a fairly short trip from the city. Once winter comes I want to check out Allaire state park, looks beautiful from the pictures. Also Double Trouble and Apple Pie Hill. I want to check out the fire towers, Long island doesn't have any fire towers. The last one was in Flanders and it was knocked down.

P

PitchPineJohn

That doesn't help me with finding any info on Old Bridge or Allaire.
Anyone have any links for Allaire? Isn't there also a reservior there (similar to the Old Bridge site)?

P

PitchPineJohn

Google Earth image of Old Bridge Pine Barrens

I wish Google would've kept the winter images, at live maps you can see there is alot of pines in this area. Tennant pond looks quite nice.
Anyway this is the area I am talking about.
oldbridgepb.jpg

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
LIP said:
That doesn't help me with finding any info on Old Bridge or Allaire.
Anyone have any links for Allaire? Isn't there also a reservior there (similar to the Old Bridge site)?

Have you asked your lady friend Veronica?

P

PitchPineJohn

I just came here looking for some advice on hiking the NJ Pine Barrens.

P

PitchPineJohn

Here's a close-up of Tennant Pond from Live Maps. What are the buildings there for?
tennantpondcloseup.jpg

P.B.&J

Sep 27, 2008
manahawkin
question.......as a new member i am guessin if it say's " BANNED" under your post name you are pretty much not a contributor any longer ? perhaps just an imposter with minimal rights ?