Woodland forests and rare species in N.J. preserve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have to respect his photography, but I have to disagree on his opinions.

Guy

Frequent volunteer Michael Hogan of Dorothy, Atlantic County, worries about unfettered public access.

"There are real special places there that people don't need to be," Hogan said. A photographer and amateur botanist, he has discovered orchids and other rare plants he hasn't seen in the Pine Barrens since he was a child. "It's an amazing place."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080929_Woodland_forests_and_rare_species_in_N_J__preserve.html

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Guy

Frequent volunteer Michael Hogan of Dorothy, Atlantic County, worries about unfettered public access.

"There are real special places there that people don't need to be," Hogan said. A photographer and amateur botanist, he has discovered orchids and other rare plants he hasn't seen in the Pine Barrens since he was a child. "It's an amazing place."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080929_Woodland_forests_and_rare_species_in_N_J__preserve.html

I agree with you on that Guy. The state put in a lot of money for that place. He ought to keep quiet regarding limiting people. I guess he's the only one allowed to see the orchids? I don't tell people all the spots I know either, but I would never think of telling the state to limit access.

By the way, I am going to do a 5 mile hike within those bogs this Sunday if I can. I'm still wearing in my new day pack. I'll bring a folding chair in with me and sit down in a shady spot for an hour or so and eat lunch. Anyone on the board who wants to join me, please do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
By the way, I am going to do a 5 mile hike within those bogs this Sunday if I can. I'm still wearing in my new day pack. I'll bring a folding chair in with me and sit down in a shady spot for an hour or so and eat lunch. Anyone on the board who wants to join me, please do.

Jessica and I are up for that. Send me your route if you have one and we will try to spend as much time with you as we can. If it gets past the time we have we will just head on back to the car.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jessica and I are up for that. Send me your route if you have one and we will try to spend as much time with you as we can. If it gets past the time we have we will just head on back to the car.

Guy

Okay Guy. I'll try to put the route together Friday.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My son and I were planning on heading out there Sunday morning and then on to Whitesbog for the festival and food. Perhaps we'll bump into you.

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007

Guy

Everyone thinks that they're the exception. I'm guilty of it, too.

And that may not be the gross generalization it sounds like.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
In theory it'd be great if everyone had the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the Pine Barrens. In practice you can see that if too many people visit one area they can have a negative effect on it.

I can name a handful of places that I would prefer to not have a bunch of people tromping in and out of, but the thing is that if it's public land the public has a right to be there. You just have to have faith that the people who make an effort to get out to those "really special places" have the same level of respect that you do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The fact is if they are really rare, most likely it is not a place where the general public goes. So if one does not tell ANYONE, there should not be a problem. The problem arrises when someone can't control their urges and lets it slip. I suspect Mike Hogan has the ability to keep it quiet,so there should be no problem.

Guy