Sep 17, 2002
A great Then and Then :)

1963.jpg

1970.jpg

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy, any idea what kind of land that was in the before picture? Cranberry Bog?

Guy, you are right for the most part I've found TNC(the nature conservancy) buys land and then leaves it as as. NJCF(new jersey conservation foundation) for the most part manages the land once purchasing it, I'm not sure if they do this at all there properties, but def. at the Parker Preserve, but they receive 3.5 million to do so.

Tom, the signs you are seeing for NJCF may be the ones you see down Old Tuckerton road. NJCF property runs pretty far down the road there and ends I think just past a nice cedar swamp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, any idea what kind of land that was in the before picture? Cranberry Bog?

It appears there was something there before the flooding. Bob may be better at judging the photo than me.

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Well , I know if there isn't any concrete going out tomorrow , i'm going out there again, I Have to find this Lake . I may not have gone far enough down the road

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
The Nature Conservancy

Well , I know if there isn't any concrete going out tomorrow , i'm going out there again, I Have to find this Lake . I may not have gone far enough down the road

I recall back in 1995 (?) The Nature Conservancy (TNC) bought a large tract of land bordering Willow Grove Lake out to Rt.55. Prior to this Dupont had bought the land years ago and sank wells in numerous sites, the goal being to use the freshwater for their industrial purposes. Fortunately that plan did not come to fruition, so the land and the capped wells sat idle for many years. When The Nature Conservancy was given the land, they closed it to all human intrusion in order to study the flora and fauna, identifying populations of animals and plants, etc. This was a 1 year project. I suppose they wanted to be sure there were no fragile areas that would require further protection.

I have written to The Nature Conservancy to determine the history of the property in question here in this thread and what TNC's plans are for the future. I am a member of TNC, and if I lived in NJ I would lead an effort to clean that area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They did the same study at this location also. Bob participated in it. I believe each group was given and area and they reported what they found.

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Question

Is it possible The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and The New Jersey Conservation Foundation (TNJCF) share responsibility for overseeing their lands? It would seem that TNJCF ostensibly has the same mission statement of TNC, only New Jersey centric. Maybe a cooperative effort? If true, it may be the reason clean-up of the area is abysmal because one group thinks the other should take care of it. Just my imagination at work. In any case, it seems some volunteerism is needed there.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
From what I've seen TNC and NJCF don't share responsibilities for land. I could be wrong, but don't recall seeing any land that is duel owned. TNC may not have the funds to manage the property. I've seen them(tnc) working on properties in the bayshore areas, but that is because they have an office in Eldora.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think it's great that organizations like this exist and purchase land for all of us to enjoy. It seems a little unreasonable to expect them to also clean up the mess and damage which the a-holes do to their properties...

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Many of these companies welcome volunteer efforts. So if anyone wants to do something to improve the land just contact either organization.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I Know on some my Jaunts around the pines ,I've stopped and picked up trash from what ever area I'm in at the time and I know my efforts may be random, it is so easy to load bags upon bags of trash from any area with ease. It's a real shame that people don't look better upon there surroundings. Years ago when Furball1 and myself were in the pines everyday we wouldn't flip as much as a cig butt on the ground ,we would crush em and put em in our pockets. We've canoed most of the rivers and we've seen tires with rims in places that there are no apparent roads?????

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
My new pet peeve is deer guts. I have come across two gutting spots. One at Stafford Forge, right on the beach where everyone comes and parks. The other, on the road to the Warren Grove Bog. Both were right on the road and had been driven over. The people had left rubber gloves covered with blood and could care less where they put it. I would have no problem if they had left it off the public thoroughfare, sans gloves.

I am more than happy to clean up a place, but my heart sinks when a week later there are a new 12 pack of empties, shotgun shells, and used profalactics etc. at a spot I had meticulously cleaned up. (this happened last week at Stafford Forge) If you see a sign that reads, "If your man enough to shoot, drink and make love, your man enough to pack out your trash." That will be me... no offense ladies, but I don't think your to blame, just sayin'...

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
It does seem like we are loosing the battle. People think that it is their GOD given right to dump where ever they please. The weight is four times more when full then empty???? Hmmmm so it's lighter to carry out then in! Simple math in my book and even easier Ethics to apply. Different generation I suppose

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
HELP !!!!! I've been out there twice and I just can't seem to find this place LOL. Today I went out and After the Bogs the Road split so I took the right fork this time and made a huge loop and came out at Oswego lake again LOL! I'm gettin dizzy gin round in circles

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
No that's not it , I can got to it going past Oswego, but at the fork i went the wrong way. I switched maps and I see where i made my mistake . I turned to soon . I might try coming off of 539 when i try again Saturday on my way to barnegate .Thanks tho Boyd.