Oswego River Preserve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There was a house there until late January 2006. There are posts on this site about it's demolition.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow, as an architect, I am intrigued by that house. Any more pics?

This is the back of the house. The lake would be to the left.

IMG_3643.JPG

Far back with the lake basically ahead.

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Wow , What a waste of a Homestead . So the New Jersey conservation Foundation tore that down? They really didn't give many choices, If the House stayed the area would probably have been closed off. I guess we have to take the bad with the good when An organization takes over. They have preserved A lot of Forest and wildlife from destruction, So I rejoice !!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow , What a waste of a Homestead . So the New Jersey conservation Foundation tore that down? They really didn't give many choices, If the House stayed the area would probably have been closed off. I guess we have to take the bad with the good when An organization takes over. They have preserved A lot of Forest and wildlife from destruction, So I rejoice !!

It was the Nature Conservancy. Bobpbx had been in the place and said it needed work.

I may be wrong but I think the Nature Concervany usually buys the land and leaves it as found, but this may have been causing them problems. They have property across 539 and I found and old truck in the woods on a wooden floor under it with tall trees growing through it. You would think they would have removed it but they didn't.

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Maybe in time they will, For the most part tho , I'm very happy with what they've done so far, Purchasing all Of Demarcos property or most of it will ensure a safe haven for wild life . I was terrified of it all being turned into yet another Metropolis. I've fished Chatsworth lake for Atleast 35 Years and it holds some very good memories.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe in time they will, For the most part tho , I'm very happy with what they've done so far, Purchasing all Of Demarcos property or most of it will ensure a safe haven for wild life . I was terrified of it all being turned into yet another Metropolis. I've fished Chatsworth lake for Atleast 35 Years and it holds some very good memories.

That is not the same organization that purchased the Parker Preserve (DeMarco's Property).

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I love that place, but haven't been there recently. Sometime take the trail that begins behind the site of the old house. It leads back into one of the nicest cedar swamps in the area. The moss back there is incredible - here are some pix (although not so great, they are actually still frames from some video I shot there a few years back):http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php?cat=395

The dock is a great place to watch the sunset too

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I must have looked wrong then, I thought all the signs said New Jersey Conservation foundation, So parker preserve is the Conservancy ?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I must have looked wrong then, I thought all the signs said New Jersey Conservation foundation, So parker preserve is the Conservancy ?

No. The Parker Preserve is the NJ Conservation Foundation, and this thread location is the Nature Conservancy.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hey Boyd,
What was the growth ? That wasn't Moss was it ? was it a close up? I've never seen vegetation like that.

That is Sphagnum moss. It hold many times it's own weight in water and is still today collected for the potting plants for sale. It is everywhere in the pines if you go into the swamps.

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I've seen it before ,that just looked different for some reason, Nothing like the moss i've seen in the secret spot out there .