Oswego River Preserve

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
IMG_1025a.JPG

I made it out to Oswego River Preserve today which is a small lake at the end of Beaver Dam Road off Long Causeway Road near Warren Grove (not near Lake Oswego). A nice little spot. Unfortunately the recurring theme I see again and again of "bottles and cans" is out of control there. I would hesitate to bring a friend out there and show them the "beauty" of the pines with the amount of trash out there. It seems somebody has cut down old trees and burnt appliances and trash at a party spot where there are thousands of bottles and cans strewn about. My heart sank when I saw where some one had dumped a full ashtray of butts from their car on the ground. End rant...

Trying to end this post on a good note, I did have a sighting. Not really sure what it was as I saw no tail and the head seems more feline than "chomper" (beaver) like. He/she swam across the whole lake to check us out, popping its' head up every so often to spy on us. Otter maybe? I managed to get one decent shot. I really need to get a real camera soon. Cheers folks!

IMG_1013sm.JPG

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was driving past Chatsworth lake and caught a quick glimpse of something moving about out there. I had the same thought...Loch Chatsworth Monster. Pancoast, did it make a verticle looping motion when it swam? That is a common trait of an otter. Either way, it looks like an otter. Nice pics BTW.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Table nine was a bunch or rowdies from this site who yelled comments and at times encouragement to the people at the podium and anyone else they felt like. They even made at least one enemy. Not the group of people you want to be friends with for sure :D I even think Jerseyman had to stop his speech at one point, but I am sure I saw a smile cross his face.

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Well I went back out there today. I hope that was not any of you guys I saw stuck in the rocks... and I am sure the Conservancy doesn't like ATV's ripping up their road either. I borrowed a SLR to photo the otter but with all the yelling and tires spinning I am sure it was scared off...

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Pancoast, I went out there to try and find that pond snd it seems there are alot more dirt roads then the map shows, I went past alot of cedar swamps tho. I went past the dog leg near the bogs out there and I think that is where i got confused because I wound up back in Chatsworth on Old Tuckerton Rd.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
It has a gate (that is open) and you can't see the pond from the road. I left a red tool case I found out there on one of the poles next to the gate. Hard to miss. I also packed about half a barrel of bottles and cans out from the road near it. I am going to clean that area up before spring and foliage hides everything. For a "conservancy" area it sure looks abused.

Pic of the day... a natural drain I found in one of the bogs.

IMG_0989a%20SM.JPG

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I'm supposed to call for work in the AM. If I'm off I'm going back out there bound and determined to find it LOL. Thanks for that Marker, I'll look for it

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Well if you find it here is what your reward will look like. Of course I am standing in front of a burnt pile of trash... ;-)
IMG_1034a%20SM.JPG

BTW, don't try to drive in. There are poles in the road to prevent vehicles and you can't turn around. That is how the people I saw today got stuck... twice.