Directions to Ongs Hat

Tree_Frogger

Mar 6, 2009
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the area and would like to do some hiking. I'm looking to threw hike the batona.
Looking to get directions from brick township to the trail entrance at ongs hat. From what I've read here in the forums I think I'm in the right place. One more ???? Is the water too acidy to use filtration devices as far as drinking water goes????
Thanks for your time
Doug

Tree_Frogger

Mar 6, 2009
Thank you very much Boyd, is there by chance a way you could tell me where those maps originated from??? it would be great to have the whole map. i'm pretty much trying to find out where to park my car,and how to get there..
thanks
Frogger

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
How to get there? Take 70 West to the 72 Circle. Take the 2nd exit on the right in the circle. The Apana diner is right at Ongs Hat. Where the Batona trail is from there I don't know, but that's right in the area.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I downloaded those awhile ago and can't for the life of me recall where I found them. Sorry. I don't know what you mean by "the whole map" the brochure contains a whole map of the trail on two pages, and the other map shows the whole trail on a single page which looks like a GPS track.

If you're going to be gone for awhile, you might want to park your car at the Byrne State Forest park office where it will be secure. IIRC, there is a parking space for a few cars at the trailhead though.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
the first map (pdf) looks accurate to me.

dude, you want to go hiking in the nj pines? i heard there was a jersey devil or something living out there....

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Frogger, you might want to make an initial trip just to scout out the trail, find the places it crosses the road and get the general lay of the land before launching into a big hike. That would easily answer all your questions.

Tree_Frogger

Mar 6, 2009
I planed on doing that just wanted to do some brain picken, being that all you guys seem like hard cord pinies.
But hey thanks for your help everyone

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I planed on doing that just wanted to do some brain picken, being that all you guys seem like hard cord pinies.

Thats 'pineys' son. Always remember that. We don't rhyme with hinies.

Actually there are very few real pineys on this site. Sue is the real deal, and I think Al comes real close. Hell, he may even be there. And that yahoo south of Atsion is probably one. Any others out there want to fess up? UH60 Chick fits the bill come to think of it.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thats 'pineys' son. Always remember that. We don't rhyme with hinies.

Actually there are very few real pineys on this site. Sue is the real deal, and I think Al comes real close. Hell, he may even be there. And that yahoo south of Atsion is probably one. Any others out there want to fess up? UH60 Chick fits the bill come to think of it.

You calling me a yahoo?
Man, you snare one squirrel on your trap line and your branded for life.
BTW Bob, I am going for broke in this, the last week of trapping season.
I have an area set with chowder clams, mackerel and shedder oil dripped on the laurels.
I am either gonna snare a coon or attract someone looking for Long John Silvers.
Your local yahoo,
Scott

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
hard cord pinies.

Impossible.. pines a soft wood. You must mean hard cord oak, or maple. lol. Best of luck on your trip. Let us know how you do. I'll be through hiking the trail early this summer.
Mike

P.S. Of course thats if the skeeters allow me to. I've sectioned hiked most of the trail and the bugs can be vicious come spring and the first half of summer. Watch for chiggers too.

Tree_Frogger

Mar 6, 2009
well i think i can hold off the chiggers with some straight up deet .... i hunt in tick infested woods and deet seems to do the job and also there is this bug spray called no stinken bugs that also works good.. being that you have done some hikes there is the water too acidy to use my water filter??

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
being that you have done some hikes there is the water too acidy to use my water filter??

I have no experience with water filters and have dumbly (is that a word?) drank from the Batsto and Wading many times with no ill effects. Of course that was foll0wed by lots of beer and homemade wine. I have swilled the Albertson Branch a few times too.

I believe the flitration systems work on the principle of being able to filter out bacteria, suspended solids, nematodes, amoebas and other nasties based on their size.
The filter sizes are measured in the micron range with one micron being a millionth of a meter.
I can't imagine how pH would influence the filters ability to filter out nasties.
Sue Gremlin may have a more detailed scientific opinion on this.
Scott