New Pine Barrens - Places to explore?

JerseyGirlEQ

Oct 8, 2009
Hi there. I'm new to the Pine Barrens and came online searching for some cool things to check out. My boyfriend recently got a truck with 4 wheel drive so his drawl out there was obvious. He just enjoys driving around on the sand roads and exploring where the roads go. Me I love the history of the place and I'm in love with old buildings. That being said my bf is happy enough just to drive around but I'd really like to hit some of the more historical places. I've seen the weird NJ stuff and I have no interest in searching for the Jersey Devil or Ong's Hat in a tree...but I'd like to check out the old buildings scattered through the area. Of course Batso, but I'm sure there are things hidden in the forest that people have seen. Nothing i have to worry about getting snagged for trespassing tho. I just want to walk around the outsides, take some pictures, that sort of thing. Any recommendations?

Any 4X4 recommendations would be cool too. My bf likes the hills and rocks thing, not so much the water and mud.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the forum. Yeah, you are pretty much out of luck with hills and rocks. There are no rocks and the hills are too sensitive for 4x4 use. Mud, sand and water, we have PLENTY of that. Perhaps your boyfriend will develope a fondness for it as we have.

I would suggest checking out Hampton furnance, Harrisville, Herman city, Friendship, Washington tavern, and Atsion and as places of interest that have ruins and history. there are more but that will get you started. For locations and directions you can search those places on the this forum. If you stop by the General store in Chatsworth, Marilyn can recommend some books that will fill you in on the history, tell her Jeff Larson sent you. have fun

Jeff

The best way to explore the pine barrens is to rent a canoe at Mick's and start heading down the Wading River from Speedwell Bridge to Leek's Landing. Canoeing will show you the forest the way it was before the automobile, and camping out along the banks will give you time to explore a large area at an easy pace. With a benchmark trip behind you, you'll have a better idea of what areas of interest you have to use 4-wheel-drive as winter arrives and visibility of ruins and town foundations improves.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Welcome and enjoy. Search this site and you will find many things you never new, Any 4x4 reccomendations ask me. What your boyfreind is into youre not finding here in the pines, you'll be better of checking out Rausch Creek Offroad Park in PA. However don't let that be a reason to turn away from the pines. With your intrest in history the pines will keep you busy for many years to come.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
That looks like it'd be a fun episode to watch, despite the mountains.

That's great! I had no idea a Jonny Quest episode was set in the pines.

I used to watch the original Jonny Quest as a boy, and really liked it. About 6 or 7 yrs ago, I saw the New Adventures of Jonny Quest on the guide. Wanting to show my son a cool show, we tuned in. It just happened to be this episode! I couldn't turn it off. It was a lot fun to watch, even with all the flaws. I'd like to see it again, so I've been watching for it ever since. No Luck. :cry:

John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I used to watch the original Jonny Quest as a boy, and really liked it. About 6 or 7 yrs ago, I saw the New Adventures of Jonny Quest on the guide. Wanting to show my son a cool show, we tuned in. It just happened to be this episode! I couldn't turn it off. It was a lot fun to watch, even with all the flaws. I'd like to see it again, so I've been watching for it ever since. No Luck. :cry:

John-

This might help you, their are 3 episodes.

The internet is a wonderful place :D

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=Adventures+of+Jonny+Quest+pine+barrens&uni=1

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Good luck with exploring. All you need is a map to find stuff. I use bing.com to find my way around to some places. The birdseye feature can usually let you see if there's puddles. I wouldn't worry about the hills and rocks in the Pines. A nice slimey puddle full of chucks of trees should be your greatest obstacle.

GOjeepn

Nov 12, 2009
Annapolis, Md

John-

They have the complete "old" series on dvd @ Best Buy. My son loves 'um.:D