Off Roading!!!!

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I remember seeing an awesome post here of a mid sized green truck driving through the thickest scrub oak road I had ever saw. Now that's off roading. I enjoy a cruise through the pines with my 2wd truck every now and then, but mudding just seems soo expensive. Especially if you miss-judged a puddle by a couple of inches and hydro-lock your engine. I've been in a lot of those puddles and the 40" deep ones look a lot like the 12" deep ones after being stirred up. There's a good sized one off the road on the way to Hampton furnace that seems to get bigger and bigger every time I go past. At least it's not in the road.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I musta missed this post first time around. That sound is like nails on the chalkboard!!! It hits you right in your spine. But, there's nuthin' you can do, cause there ain't no place to turn it round. Jus' get out the compound and start rubbin'. Ouch!

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I remember seeing an awesome post here of a mid sized green truck driving through the thickest scrub oak road I had ever saw. Now that's off roading. I enjoy a cruise through the pines with my 2wd truck every now and then, but mudding just seems soo expensive. Especially if you miss-judged a puddle by a couple of inches and hydro-lock your engine. I've been in a lot of those puddles and the 40" deep ones look a lot like the 12" deep ones after being stirred up. There's a good sized one off the road on the way to Hampton furnace that seems to get bigger and bigger every time I go past. At least it's not in the road.

thats why I run a $12 home depot snorkel. tyhios is me 3 years ago. in my old jeep. I ended up cutting it up due to the body rusting beyond being safe.motor still ran like a champ at 322,000 miles on it. Snorkles do work and are an awesome precaution.

Attachments

• stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 776

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
hmmm...? Could this be why we find cars & trucks burned, battered & pushed into lakes in the Pines?

I've seen a few of these myself. This one is my personal favorite. This is Old Halfway in Sept. 1990. We used to call it Hidden Lake back then. John-

Attachments

• Old Halfway.jpg
    Old Halfway.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 670

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I've seen a few of these myself. This one is my personal favorite. This is Old Halfway in Sept. 1990. We used to call it Hidden Lake back then. John-

There were quite a few of them over the years and the most recent vehicles were removed with a little nudge by Ben when he contacted the proper authorities.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the Greenwood Forest WMA so you can go there. They put up those signs I suspect to keep out the hoodlums as you call them. If you are walking they won't bother you.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
hmmm...? Could this be why we find cars & trucks burned, battered & pushed into lakes in the Pines? Once the owner thinks it's a total loss they just pop the vin. & tags. Leave it for someone else to haul away.:jeffd:

Yeah, I think insurance fraud and theft is the main reason we see all those cars more than people getting stuck and abandoning the truck/car.

Jeff

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
hmmm...? Could this be why we find cars & trucks burned, battered & pushed into lakes in the Pines? Once the owner thinks it's a total loss they just pop the vin. & tags. Leave it for someone else to haul away.:jeffd:

Yo loose the ignorance. I love my vehicles and they are all legal. think before you type. I probably had more time into that xj waterproofing it than most people put into maintnance on a vehicle for it whole life.

BrickPiney82

Apr 11, 2009
To the original poster. A vehicle with that much lift is suited better for someone with private land that allows 4x4s these days. I know there is a place off rt 206 near wharton forest that I have heard is private and have seen the trucks there. The days of trucks that size running forked river and lacey and pretty much over. Get in contact with njfourwheelers.com or misfits4x4. The best suited vehicles to run the pines are the ones that barely leave noticeable tracks and are small in size that can fit thru the narrow trails. Anything that is as wide as a wrangler or smaller with 35''s or less is good i think. I run a 98 tacoma with 32" bfg mud terrains a 2.5" lift and a rear powertrax locker, 4:56's and extended diff breathers and I stay out of deep water and mud ( I hate that crap). It is a great exploration vehicle and will climb anything I have thrown at it. With a vehicle that isnt heavily modified looking you also have less of a chance of being hassled by authority figures. I have covered alot of ground in the pines with my truck when it was stock and since I have slightly modified it. With all the people and groups that despise off road activity in the pines, consider it a privilege to even be allowed to drive a 4x4 out there, tread lightly and leave no noticeable trace and we will be ok.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I know there is a place off rt 206 near wharton forest that I have heard is private and have seen the trucks there.

That is the Patch and the owners do not allow mudding back there anymore. I guess too many people were coming out on Sundays and their land was getting pretty trashed. It used to be a lot of fun to go out there and wheel though...

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
That is the Patch and the owners do not allow mudding back there anymore. I guess too many people were coming out on Sundays and their land was getting pretty trashed. It used to be a lot of fun to go out there and wheel though...

miss that spot, we did have alot of morons starting to come out there. NJfourwheelers is non existant and I'm a member of misfits 4x4.

BrickPiney82

Apr 11, 2009

I havent been that way in about 2 years, we stopped in on a dual sport ride to watch the action, seemed like alot of alcohol fueled stupidity would transpire there that would ruin it for the responsible folks.

I guess if anyone can point the original poster in the right direction it sounds like mudboy. I guess njfourwheelers disbanded, they were more old school forked river guys.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I havent been that way in about 2 years, we stopped in on a dual sport ride to watch the action, seemed like alot of alcohol fueled stupidity would transpire there that would ruin it for the responsible folks.

I guess if anyone can point the original poster in the right direction it sounds like mudboy. I guess njfourwheelers disbanded, they were more old school forked river guys.

yeah there are still a few of the guys around but most of njfourwheelers have went different ways with less spots to go and stricter road laws. mostly whats available are jeep clubs and other similar. It's hard to get in on the private spots that are far and few. Hopefully the "Mud in the Pines" event stays succesful and the guys with the big trucks can still have a place tro be and get paid for it as well. I personally will never build another big truck in this state. Now if I move south it's another situation. Thanks for the kind words.

Damkayaker, maybe it was misworded it just seemed as if you were attacking me after I put up the pictures of my old cherokee.

tdozer

May 18, 2009
Dave,
I was with you the day that you slid into the deep hole with the jeep. That turned out to be a good day.
Tous.