Bone dry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Well, my report of an excursion yesterday may have been overrun by actual weather events, if it is raining as steadily down south this afternoon as it is up here.

Yesterday my friend Jack and I took the dogs and trucks and ventured into the area southeast of Hampton Furnace that is the normal haunt of the mud trucks. We have poked around in this area during the wet season and encountered pools you'd need a ferry to cross. Yesterday the entire area was absolutely dustbowl dry. We ran across one forlorn young man in a yellow jeep, his face as long as the memory of the last storm, driving through a tiny hole with a little bit of not-quite-concrete-like mud in the bottom. It was quite a moving sight.

After looping around this area on 4WD road we headed southeast toward High Crossing, and then down Tuckerton Rd. to Hawkins Lowland Rd. Dry, dry, dry. Everywhere dust and desiccation. Hawkins Lowland Rd. was just passable all the way to Hawkins Turnpike/Bulltown-Hawkins Rd., if you don't love your paintjob, and don't mind bouncing over one huge exposed corrugated drain pipe. I would not do this stretch in a car, but there was no water anywhere on the road. Every hole dry as a British Peer's sense of humour.

We headed up the Hawkins TP and stopped at the bridge, where we let the dogs out a bit. I kid you not when I say the river at the bridge is maybe ten feet wide and less than a foot deep. There is about 4-8 feet of bank now on both sides that wasn't there last time I visited. There was still a nice trickle of very iron-rich water flowing from the little creek that runs in on the north bank just west of the bridge. I'll have to walk up and see where that comes from some time.

We headed out on Carranza with about a half-inch of dust on the trucks, dogs, us. Had to get home and have a beer to remember what wet feels like.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well, my report of an excursion yesterday may have been overrun by actual weather events, if it is raining as steadily down south this afternoon as it is up here.

It rained for awhile here ( < 1/4" ), but not enough to have any significant impact on the drought conditions...

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp

Yesterday my friend Jack and I took the dogs and trucks and ventured into the area southeast of Hampton Furnace that is the normal haunt of the mud trucks. We have poked around in this area during the wet season and encountered pools you'd need a ferry to cross. Yesterday the entire area was absolutely dustbowl dry. We ran across one forlorn young man in a yellow jeep, his face as long as the memory of the last storm, driving through a tiny hole with a little bit of not-quite-concrete-like mud in the bottom. It was quite a moving sight.

After looping around this area on 4WD road we headed southeast toward High Crossing, and then down Tuckerton Rd. to Hawkins Lowland Rd. Dry, dry, dry. Everywhere dust and desiccation. Hawkins Lowland Rd. was just passable all the way to Hawkins Turnpike/Bulltown-Hawkins Rd., if you don't love your paintjob, and don't mind bouncing over one huge exposed corrugated drain pipe. I would not do this stretch in a car, but there was no water anywhere on the road. Every hole dry as a British Peer's sense of humour.

We headed up the Hawkins TP and stopped at the bridge, where we let the dogs out a bit. I kid you not when I say the river at the bridge is maybe ten feet wide and less than a foot deep. There is about 4-8 feet of bank now on both sides that wasn't there last time I visited. There was still a nice trickle of very iron-rich water flowing from the little creek that runs in on the north bank just west of the bridge. I'll have to walk up and see where that comes from some time.

We headed out on Carranza with about a half-inch of dust on the trucks, dogs, us. Had to get home and have a beer to remember what wet feels like.

So you drove through 1/4 mile? after all of the arguing etc. that has been going on here I'd be careful what I post about where I've been?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
even going back to early summer memorial day weekend , water levels were super low in normal areas but the odd thing was there was water where i never ever seen it before , and now every last thing back there is bone dry , theres spots out in the great swamp area that i never seen without water and now its nothing but dust , its crazy how dry its been

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
even going back to early summer memorial day weekend , water levels were super low in normal areas but the odd thing was there was water where i never ever seen it before , and now every last thing back there is bone dry , theres spots out in the great swamp area that i never seen without water and now its nothing but dust , its crazy how dry its been

I had originally thought that with the thaw of all that snow we had it may have remained wet or at least damp through the summer. I agree, there was water in places that were never wet like Push Line Rd for example, just after the campground. That was wet for quite some time, as well as Devious Mount. I guess that is what the pines are designed to do though take in water, largest aquifer and such.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Only way to drive through 1/4 mile area without leaving a marked trail would involve very deep holes that 44" tires do not have the capability of driving through. The trail that cuts down the side of the railroad tracks from High Crossing all the way down is a maintnance trail thats still in existence. It is not posted on the topo I last looked at.This is where a trail system will come in good. EThere will be no opinion based "established trails". All I know is that it doesn't matter yor age or vehicle. As long as you have a street legal vehicle with proper inspection you should be able to go on any trail that is on that map. Basically if I wanted to follow Mark around in his FJ but I as in a fullsize blazer on 38" tires I could not get anymore tickets than himself.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
There is no marked roads as of now. there is not one edition of any map in existance that is being used as "these are all of the trails that you can go down".I don't believe that will be the case much longer

The roads we were on: High Crossing Rd., Hay Rd., and a road that is not on this map, but which is on my french GPS unit as '4WD Rd.', so it is in somebody's database.

I'm not afraid of being ticketed anywhere I go in the pines. I've been stopped. I'm polite and I tell them what they want to know. I imagine it's obvious within about thirty seconds that my friends and I are not a problem. We exchange pleasantries and move on.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Yea I don't get it people are allowed to drive there stock vehicles wherever they want ? But just because I got a lift and big tires I'm automaticly a target ? My daily driven street truck has a lift and larger tires , the truck never sees mud but I do go thru Wharton in it but now just because it's lifted I'll be the one getting harrased on the same trails you can just drive right down , this shit is unfair and all because everyone crys about dumb stuff , just becareful because when no one at all is Allowed In the pines it's gonna upset everyone

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
As far as I know we never left marked roads, and I think your post would generally be characterized as trolling or threadcrapping, depending on your perspective.

Are you kidding me? Trolling? Harsh accusation. Dude I am just giving you fair warning on the flaming you may take from your post. As far as you not being a problem, according to most folks on here, driving through that area on a bigwheel would be a problem. My perspective here is purely not wanting another 8 zillion page post about who is right or wrong about where they are driving and drawing negative attention to this site. As far as I'm concerned you can drive wherever you want, you may just end up being a problem with all that has been going on here and with the SPP regardless if you think you are or not. As far as your GPS goes, run that one by the guy with the ticket in his hand.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Are you kidding me? Trolling? Harsh accusation. Dude I am just giving you fair warning on the flaming you may take from your post. As far as you not being a problem, according to most folks on here, driving through that area on a bigwheel would be a problem. My perspective here is purely not wanting another 8 zillion page post about who is right or wrong about where they are driving and drawing negative attention to this site. As far as I'm concerned you can drive wherever you want, you may just end up being a problem with all that has been going on here and with the SPP regardless if you think you are or not. As far as your GPS goes, run that one by the guy with the ticket in his hand.

All I'm saying is that it wasn't necessary to bring 1/4 Mile into a post about dry conditions. You did so for your own reasons. I had no thought of that stretch or of mudding and all that controversy when I made the post, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't in any danger of getting flamed by the good people here fore posting about dry conditions in the pines.

But thanks for saving me.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
All I'm saying is that it wasn't necessary to bring 1/4 Mile into a post about dry conditions. You did so for your own reasons. I had no thought of that stretch or of mudding and all that controversy when I made the post, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't in any danger of getting flamed by the good people here fore posting about dry conditions in the pines.

But thanks for saving me.

I didn't bring it up, you did on your post by giving your location. As far as saving you, I could care less what you do or where you go. There was no doubt in my mind that you were not out there to mud, I have read your posts on other subjects and know you are not into that. As far as getting flamed by people on this site, when it comes to this area the flaming runs rampant from all angles.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I didn't bring it up, you did on your post by giving your location. As far as saving you, I could care less what you do or where you go. There was no doubt in my mind that you were not out there to mud, I have read your posts on other subjects and know you are not into that. As far as getting flamed by people on this site, when it comes to this area the flaming runs rampant from all angles.

If mentioning that I was SE of Hampton is opening the door to yet another thread on 1/4 mile, then I'd like to know what radius around that site we should exclude from our posts to avoid the same thing happening again.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
If mentioning that I was SE of Hampton is opening the door to yet another thread on 1/4 mile, then I'd like to know what radius around that site we should exclude from our posts to avoid the same thing happening again.

Alright, all of this becasue I mentioned what the name of the area you were in is known by. I have had it with this site and the uptight know it all I'm better than you are attitudes. All of go where you want, when you want and how you want, I really don't care. This was a small part of my life that I used to get enjoyment out of by reading and learning but lately it has been nothing more than a pompus attack fest from all angles. It's like you have to be careful what you say to who or you might piss that guy off, and then one of the others will come to his defense or whatever. I left middle school years ago and don't need this BS. I did appreciate your post of the dry conditions, I mentioned the area you were in as I was not sure if you were aware of the recent discussions here that is all, believe me or not don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.