Prints?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Anyone recognize these prints? 100_0080.jpg

Found them in Bass River yesterday following along with a bunch of deer tracks.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I thought they might be, but it was off season qnd the prints were HUGE! That pack of smokes were 100's and we had no dog that big with us.... It rained just before we got there....so... Oh, well....

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
they are definitely dog family and dog size.this be either a big dog or a coyote.Some say you can tell the tracks apart.I can't but I can tell what I'm following by what their trails does.If the tracks head down a trail straight as an arrow like the animal has a place to be and a time to be there it's probably a yotee.If there is very hairy white lookin dog poop every few hundred yards along side the trail it's definitely a yotee.Yotees when using trails are either on their way to work on on their way home and hence not at play.They leave the trails to hunt or sometimes will hide near trails to ambush something.The only place they usually play is near the den where they feel secure or they would not have built it there to begin with if they did not feel safe there and if you show up they will probably move.Dogs on the other hand are one big play fest while in the woods(domestic dogs anyway) to them it's an exploration trip and they must investigate and pee on everything they meet.I'm sure this infuriates yotees
Of course a truly feral dog if there be any out there will act similar to a yotee.If he doesn't he will not survive.Yotees frequently use man trails but mostly at night and must feel quite safe doing so.
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
There was poop and that was the way the tracks went. We DID here 'yotes all night long. The prints were at least 4" long. LARGE! That was a pack of Maverick 100's so the prints were pretty big...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There was poop and that was the way the tracks went. We DID here 'yotes all night long. The prints were at least 4" long. LARGE! That was a pack of Maverick 100's so the prints were pretty big...

Coyote tracks are 2 1/2 - 3 inches, might look larger in soft soil or sand. I'd guess a dog around 50-60lbs. Our Brits prints are about 4". Dogs chasing deer are a big problem in some areas. Owners let fido out to do his business and the pooch becomes a deer runner.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
was the poop white looking and full of hair? did the tracks stay steady and straight over a long distance?I have seen yotees I know went close to 70 lbs.much bigger then yotees out west.some sez they have wolf blood in their veins.I think they look like a wolf with extra large ears.
Al

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Gipsie....

I too came upon tracks just a few weeks ago and forgot that I wanted to post them. After reading your post and responses I can tell you that they remained on the trail and at some point the critter was spooked and took off. I could see the deep, sudden kick of take-off. Then the gait became much longer. I wasn't looking for scat, so I cannot answer Al's question. The first two photos are before the run; the third is running. I expected coyotes, but they looked a bit odd. Oh well....

Thanks, turtle

101_8507.JPG

101_8504.JPG

101_8611.JPG

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
They are pretty big Terry. Bigger than the ones I saw and they are shaped differently than mine. Al, the poop was just like you described as much as I could tell. I didn't look close as I don't like scat. hehe I believe it was a very large coyote, possibly a coy-dog? We had them when I was out in Vegas and they were pretty big.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
hard to say with these new tracks since i don't know exactly how big that thing your using for scale is and the tracks are definitely old but they look like beaver tracks in outline to me.these wouldn't be bigger then dog tracks though.were you near water?
Al

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Yes Al,
I was behind Batsto church, the area that we were talking about this week. The GPS is 4.5 inches long.....
The cool thing was that you could definately see where the critter was spooked and took off.

turtle

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have the same GPS and can attest to the size being about 4 1/2". those tracks are freaking huge!!!! I'm kind of thinking bear with the understanding that the tracks have been somewhat compromised from weather and age. That or the Jersey Devil's been hanging back there.:jd:

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
petersons field guide to tracks says commom beaver hind tracks are 6 to 6and a half inches long with a 3 to 5 and a half inch stride between tracks,.the single track you show is definitely a hind foot.I believe you have beaver and the area you told me you were in has beaver along the sleeper and the mullica,the nescohague too.I believe old beaver tracks is what you have Turtle.
Alfie

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Pretty good call on the beaver, Al. I am surprised not to see the tail drag between the prints though. Perhaps the photos just didn't capture that. I've seen their prints, in the mud, I'm not used to seeing them in sugar sand.

Jeff